Sign in to follow this  
Swizz

Has Anyone Fitted A Rear View Camera In Caravan?

Has Anyone Fitted A Rear View Camera In Caravan With The View On A Small Screen That Replaces The Rear View Mirror

I would not like to travel solo without a rear view mirror.

When towing the rear view mirror is obscured by the 'van.

Is there a system, tried & tested, that shows on a screen, what a camera sees from the van back window. I would clip that screen onto the rear view mirror when towing.

David

I drove tippers with rear view camera`s where a small screen attaches to the dash or plays back via a suitable sat nav . A clip on screen is available and many are for sale on eBay, Amazon etc and at that size is useful close up to objects . I found the camera invaluable in close up manouvering and once when I had a broken exterior mirror, the camera got me to a place where the mirror could be replaced with the ability to see what was coming up behind . I would like to fit one to my current caravan for a reversing aid but they are not a substitute for properly set and extended external rear view mirrors in normal forward motion .

Are you relying on your normal mirrors when towing ? If so, you could be breaking the law by not using extensions to see clearly past your caravan . If you mean interior mirrors they are inferior to exterior mirrors at any time due to no view alongside your vehicle .

I've often wondered how I could have my camera on the satnav screen, but couldn't find any information on how to do it, it does have a reversing camera, so its possible I think, but with a car under warranty or out for that matter, I didn't want to risk any damage to the satnav or can bus system, I shy away from delving into modern cars electrical systems for that reason.

Perhaps a auto electrician would be best placed to ask?

I've fitted one of these to my outfit and it works really well. The camera is fitted to the underside of the caravan floor and is powered from the onboard battery. The screen fits to the passenger side windscreen using an adapted Tomtom suction fixing. The screen also needs a power supply and that plugs into the cigar lighter socket. On arrival at the destination, the screen unplugs and is removed. When towing, a glance at the screen is just the same as a look in the rear view mirror when driving solo.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/WIRELESS-CAR-REVERSING-REAR-VIEW-CCD-CAMERA-PARKING-KIT-4-3-LCD-TFT-MONITOR-/121087664604?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c316321dc

I drove tippers with rear view camera`s where a small screen attaches to the dash or plays back via a suitable sat nav . A clip on screen is available and many are for sale on eBay,

Are you relying on your normal mirrors when towing ? If so, you could be breaking the law by not using extensions to see clearly past your caravan . If you mean interior mirrors they are inferior to exterior mirrors at any time due to no view alongside your vehicle .

Thanks AussieAI

Extension rear view mirrors are essential for the law, & to cover failure of any other system.

I want the rear camera both for traffic & reversing into pitches etc.

David

Extension mirrors have a huge blind spot directly behind the caravan, were a car can drive unnoticed.

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/forum/technical/rear-view-camera

Hi Xtrailman

A very good extra forum discussion, link.

Post 7 shows a very neat camera hidden in a replacement number plate light. Thanks

David

I've fitted one of these to my outfit and it works really well. The camera is fitted to the underside of the caravan floor and is powered from the onboard battery. The screen fits to the passenger side windscreen using an adapted Tomtom suction fixing. The screen also needs a power supply and that plugs into the cigar lighter socket. On arrival at the destination, the screen unplugs and is removed. When towing, a glance at the screen is just the same as a look in the rear view mirror when driving solo.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/WIRELESS-CAR-REVERSING-REAR-VIEW-CCD-CAMERA-PARKING-KIT-4-3-LCD-TFT-MONITOR-/121087664604?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c316321dc

Thanks Jaydug

Looks like a good £40 worth of kit.

David

Edited by Swizz

A couple of my previous posts.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

I tried a wireless camera on the rear of the van with reasonable success by extending the sender unit to camera cable so I could site the sender unit in the front of the van. It worked reasonably well in the countryside in good weather but there was too much interference in bad weather or towns. It finally packed up so I bought a hard wired system from reversing cameras uk best thing I did a simple diy fit, I opted for the mirror clip on monitor as it's the natural place to look and with that and the extending car mirrors the view is fantastic.

It's hard wired to the front of the van with a pre cut cable with a plug fitted then in the car a length of cable with a socket wired to the black box fitted with the only 12v supply required then a feed to the mirror, even comes with a remote to control the settings side on the touch screen mirror. Hiding the cables could be fun but my black box is in the boot and I just temporarily run the mirror cable when in use with the cable from the box to socket hidden.

They are very good giving you advice on the phone before buying and even told me they wouldn't sell me a wireless system they stocked at the time for use with a car and caravan.

A couple of my previous posts.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

I tried a wireless camera on the rear of the van with reasonable success by extending the sender unit to camera cable so I could site the sender unit in the front of the van. It worked reasonably well in the countryside in good weather but there was too much interference in bad weather or towns. It finally packed up so I bought a hard wired system from reversing cameras uk best thing I did a simple diy fit, I opted for the mirror clip on monitor as it's the natural place to look and with that and the extending car mirrors the view is fantastic.

It's hard wired to the front of the van with a pre cut cable with a plug fitted then in the car a length of cable with a socket wired to the black box fitted with the only 12v supply required then a feed to the mirror, even comes with a remote to control the settings side on the touch screen mirror. Hiding the cables could be fun but my black box is in the boot and I just temporarily run the mirror cable when in use with the cable from the box to socket hidden.

They are very good giving you advice on the phone before buying and even told me they wouldn't sell me a wireless system they stocked at the time for use with a car and caravan.

That is a good comparison for me, people who have tried wireless as well give better reviews than advertisers reviews, I also appreciate your clip to the rear view mirror impression, I don`t know anyone who has one and now I have a better idea of which way may be best for me too .

I've often wondered how I could have my camera on the satnav screen, but couldn't find any information on how to do it, it does have a reversing camera, so its possible I think, but with a car under warranty or out for that matter, I didn't want to risk any damage to the satnav or can bus system, I shy away from delving into modern cars electrical systems for that reason.

Perhaps a auto electrician would be best placed to ask?

Some satnav manufacturers have models with din plug in points for accessories, so do some built in jobbies I am told, could be worth delving into the manufacturers website to see if you have one equipped for a reversing camera or aux in . Because of the cost of these better satnav systems I am leaning toward mirror mount screens after reading dave11a post .

post-48088-0-54708400-1372867377_thumb.jpgThere is a very good article in the latest Caravan magazine, including fitting and adapting.

attachicon.gifcaravan. jpgThere is a very good article in the latest Caravan magazine, including fitting and adapting.

Hi Gymbo,

Which caravan mag was that please?

David

Hi,

Not directly connected with O/P but -- we bought a wireless camera/ and monitor . The monitor plugs into the dash BUT-- The camera is fitted in a box with a 12 volt battery making it mobile, O. K. its no use for the O/P but we use it for reversing into our ( tight ) storage place, for lining up our Al-Ko wheel lock Hooking up, not being fixed it can be placed in the best position.

david

Are you saying the camera is mounted low down, if so what is the view like?

I was hoping to mount one around half way, or more up the back of the van. Hiding wires is the issue. I would not mind drilling but do not want to mess with my guarrentee.

Anyone any ideas of the best type of camera and method of fixing to back of the van.

John

Hi,

Not directly connected with O/P but -- we bought a wireless camera/ and monitor . The monitor plugs into the dash BUT-- The camera is fitted in a box with a 12 volt battery making it mobile, O. K. its no use for the O/P but we use it for reversing into our ( tight ) storage place, for lining up our Al-Ko wheel lock Hooking up, not being fixed it can be placed in the best position.

david

Hi David,

I expected to use the caravan battery for the camera & fasten it, on a shelf, to view through the caravan rear window.

Will yours do that ? Perhaps you have no rear window.

If I had no rear window, I would have it look through a hole in the middle of the rear skirt.

I can see that being loose gives other interesting opportunities.

David

Edited by Swizz

Are you saying the camera is mounted low down, if so what is the view like?

Yes. The camera is fixed under the floor. The view, as you would expect, is as though you were sitting on the road. But you still see what is behind you, or the vehicle you have just overtaken.

Hi,

david

Hi David,

The more, I think about your idea, the more I like it.

My caravan is very often not moving, so why not use it for recording events seen from the back of my car.

At those times the screen would need to off, to satisfy our funny laws.

Which camera & radio sender do you use?

David

Hi David,

The more, I think about your idea, the more I like it.

My caravan is very often not moving, so why not use it for recording events seen from the back of my car.

At those times the screen would need to off, to satisfy our funny laws.

Which camera & radio sender do you use?

David

Hi David,

The camera & screen were bought on fleabay--- i looked for one ( camera) with the greatest range, the makers claim 30 mtrs . Regarding use, it has Infrared l. e. d,s on the camera though these stay on for only about 5 minutes and provide a picture in black &white. The idea was to make the camera as flexible as possible The Boss can hold it up near the coupling when coupling up to our front ball the curve of the bonnet making it hard to judge, a likewise she can point it at the caravan wheel when lining up for the Al-Ko wheel lock --- no more cries of -a bit more -too far -- and worse !

The Boss can also point it at anything she is not happy about ( Me -- a lot of the time ! :D) so whatever she is concerned about she is able to let me see the problem, provided the batteries are charged up ------------------ !

david

Edited by david 1220

I fitted one I bought on Ebay, it gets it power from the side lights, when the lights are off so is the camera. I too fitted it to the floor under the caravan and find is very good, the monitor/screen is on the dash and can connect to a max of 4 cameras at the same time. When I get the time I will fit the other 4 cameras like so:-

Camera 1 Under floor of caravan (right of centre) Fitted.

Camera 2 on Car looking at hitch Not fitted yet

Camera 3 Left hand side of caravan Not fitted yet

Camera 4 Right hand side of caravan Not fitted yet

I've just bought one of these to try

http://www. maplin. co. uk/wireless-reversing-camera-kit-615276

At that price I can't really lose but it does claim a 30m range (in free air). Switchable between reversing view & mirror view as well.

As I have a rear window my plan is to make a small bracket to trap into the closed window at the bottom with the cable going in and supplied from the 'van power, it also means that the transmitter which is separate to the camera can be moved to a "line of sight" to the receiver.

Trying one of these as well for the front of the car http://www. maplin. co. uk/vga-journey-recorder-625683

Edited by Ich

Quite a good idea with the rear camera but as it's wireless, what if someone else has one next you and you pick up his signal.

Possible or what ! also with our weather keeping the camera lens clear could be a problem.

just a thought !

Quite a good idea with the rear camera but as it's wireless, what if someone else has one next you and you pick up his signal.

Cross interference is always an issue, particularly in built up areas! But the wide view of the camera (120deg) will also pick up what is visible in the towing mirrors so I would be a fool to rely on one rear view device solely!

Possible or what ! also with our weather keeping the camera lens clear could be a problem.

Applies to all cameras that are fitted to vehicles as well as most external rearview mirrors, so just has to be dealt with, though, of course, I could always put it inside looking through the rear caravan window if visibility in poor weather is an issue (though I'd possibly have to fit a wiper!!)

Edited by Ich

I tried a wireless camera but found to much interference. Changed to hard wired first mounted the camera on a bracket on the rear window sill but the reflections from the window were to much especially at night. Now the camera is mounted under the rear of the van using van power for the camera ( from Reversing Cameras)The wire is fed through the van to the spare in the 7S plug and then through the cabin of the car to the top of the dash a monitor sits on the dash held with velcro and blutac Power for this is from the 12volt plug on the dash. The picture is very good leaving no blind spot at the back of the van

I tried a wireless camera but found to much interference. Changed to hard wired first mounted the camera on a bracket on the rear window sill but the reflections from the window were to much especially at night. Now the camera is mounted under the rear of the van using van power for the camera ( from Reversing Cameras)The wire is fed through the van to the spare in the 7S plug and then through the cabin of the car to the top of the dash a monitor sits on the dash held with velcro and blutac Power for this is from the 12volt plug on the dash. The picture is very good leaving no blind spot at the back of the van

I tried 2 different wireless cameras one from maplin, both a total waste of time too much interference and cutting out even after extending the wifi aerial to the front of the van. I ended up with a wired cam with its own plug and socket from reversing cameras as well with the rear view mirror clip on monitor and it's great.

http://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/epages/es106294. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories/M700_series

Edited by dave11a

I tried 2 different wireless cameras one from maplin, both a total waste of time too much interference and cutting out even after extending the wifi aerial to the front of the van. I ended up with a wired cam with its own plug and socket from reversing cameras as well with the rear view mirror clip on monitor and it's great. http://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/epages/es106294. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories/M700_series

How do you find the screen works in daylight and in bright sunshine, the one I got is pretty useless.

John

How do you find the screen works in daylight and in bright sunshine, the one I got is pretty useless.

John

Mine is fine it has a faint tint on it the same as the original mirror so I don't notice much difference at all.

Ps I tend to leave the clip on monitor in place all the time we are away with the van as it can be used as a rear view mirror when it's switched off.

Edited by dave11a