Any Tips On How To Remove Duct Tape From Caravan Window?

Hi, our new (to us) caravan is looking fab now it is all cleaned and polished. However there are two large strips of the remains of duct tape on the back window. Dont know what was there, some sign of some sort but we have tried to soak it and gently scrape but its not budging. Any ideas on what we can use to remove it without damaging or scratching the window too much??

thanks Y

Probably if you wade back through this forum, you might find that I had a struggle to remove some dried out duct tape residue. I tried various solutions, including WD-40, Sticky stuff Remover, thinners and all proved ineffective. The only thing which worked, was petrol, even so it was still hard work.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Soak it with veg oil, olive oil or baby oil then scrape it off with a plastic blade. The previous owners may have had water ingress through the window hanging rail & used the tape as a temp repair. Did you check for damp when buying?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

We used to refurb equipment with shiny black cases and found Mr Sheen polish (not the waxy furniture polish) sprayed on and left for half an hour would soften any tape residue without damaging the soft plastic at all. Every other method we tried failed including isopropol alcohol. Strangely it does have to be Mr Sheen.

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

I bet someone taped a 'number plate' in the rear window, try methylated spirit or nail varnish remover but test gently first, in a corner in case it melts the window.

WD40?

We'll give it a go!

Brasso with a soft cloth, it will get rid if the fine scratches on the window too

Great thanks!

Probably if you wade back through this forum, you might find that I had a struggle to remove some dried out duct tape residue. I tried various solutions, including WD-40, Sticky stuff Remover, thinners and all proved ineffective. The only thing which worked, was petrol, even so it was still hard work.

Oh dear. ..will try it out though!

Soak it with veg oil, olive oil or baby oil then scrape it off with a plastic blade. The previous owners may have had water ingress through the window hanging rail & used the tape as a temp repair. Did you check for damp when buying?

Not a bit of damp in the van. ..the duct tape is two large strips in the middle of the window. ..not the edge. ..think it might have been a number plate as suggested. Will try the oil though. Thanks

We used to refurb equipment with shiny black cases and found Mr Sheen polish (not the waxy furniture polish) sprayed on and left for half an hour would soften any tape residue without damaging the soft plastic at all. Every other method we tried failed including isopropol alcohol. Strangely it does have to be Mr Sheen.

Mr Sheen eh? Think I have that in the cupboard! lol Thanks!

I bet someone taped a 'number plate' in the rear window, try methylated spirit or nail varnish remover but test gently first, in a corner in case it melts the window.

That's probably exactly what it would have been, a number plate! Right I had wondered about nail polish remover actually. .will try that as well! Thanks

I have an American product called Goo gone and its 10 times better than anything over here. Spray it on, leave it 20 secs and wipe of. It is really good. I've had this bottle for 3 yrs. I use it to remove residual from golf clubs I have made where the araldite has left a smear. If it moves araldite it will remove anything.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

You could use some 205 and just polish it off.

James

James Foote. Hymer 570 (2007). Jaguar XF 2012 3. 0 Premium Lux

I am amazed that one poster found Sticky Stuff Remover didn't work. It's worked in our house (cars bikes, boats etc) for everything we have tried it on, but I guess if the duct tape was on the plastic window for a long time and in the sun, maybe the adhesive has bonded much deeper into the surface of the plastic.

Mike

Try nail varnish remover. Not sure what it'll do to the window though so be warned.

Careful with Acetone (nail varnish remover) on some plastics.

Think our van windows are generally Acrylic? and some solvents will attack.

See here for a range of safe/non safe solvents which can be used.

Can remember in the past I have 'bloomed' some plastics by using unsafe solevents.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

As said the use of any solvent will cause crazing in the plastic surface.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Try nail varnish remover. Not sure what it'll do to the window though so be warned.

NO! NO! NO!

Please never put nail varnish remover anywhere near an acetate window, or moulded plastic caravan sink! Acetone will desolve the plastic in no time at all!

The suggestion of using oil based products, such as veg oil, Brasso, etc sound the most likely to work without damaging the window surface. Allow the oil to soak well into the remaining adhesive before gently trying to remove it with a soft plastic scraper, such as an old credit card. ..

Finally buff to a shine using a soft cloth and Brasso.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I don't like the idea of nail varnish remover at all. Try white spirit.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I am surprised no one has suggested a little heat in the form of a hair dryer. Obviously take care not to overdo it and melt the window.

Get the residual glue warm enough and it should then be easier to wipe off. ;)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Pharmacists sell a spray that helps remove elastoplast without pain, I think that should work here.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Pharmacists sell a spray that helps remove elastoplast without pain, I think that should work here.

Yes, there is a non generic product called simply 'Adhesive Plaster Remover' that is used on skin when removing dressings. It is available as a liquid which may be more controllable than a spray. I've used it on all sorts of things but not on acrylic windows so can't vouch for it in your situation though.

Bailey Senator Arizona Series 6 pulled by Ford Mondeo Estate 2 litre diesel
Blog at lamputtsonland. wordpress. com

Best thing for removing tape glue, marker pen etc is methylated spirit, it is a gentle but very effective solvent and it evaporates cleanly and leaves no after smell.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

Well, a mixture of WD40 and cooking oil applied then gently scraped off with the edge of a metal ruler took off the horrible, large strips of duct tape from our window! It is now gleaming. Thanks for the great tips! :D

I had the same problem on an old caravan door that wouldn't close properly due to the rotten wood down the side (it was a project I took on) but the seller had first used parcel tape then when I went to collect it I was putting a temporary screw in the door and frame anyway but the seller had now put LOADS of duct tape all over it!

I asked on here and went for the WD40 route with a sponge and small scraper. It took ages so I gave up, went for a cuppa whilst I left it doused longer in loads of WD40 and it all came off no problem.

I'm going to try the brasso on the windows for crazing as not tried that yet.

Compass Shadow 1988

I had the same problem on an old caravan door that wouldn't close properly due to the rotten wood down the side (it was a project I took on) but the seller had first used parcel tape then when I went to collect it I was putting a temporary screw in the door and frame anyway but the seller had now put LOADS of duct tape all over it!

I asked on here and went for the WD40 route with a sponge and small scraper. It took ages so I gave up, went for a cuppa whilst I left it doused longer in loads of WD40 and it all came off no problem.

I'm going to try the brasso on the windows for crazing as not tried that yet.

Good old WD40! Yes, is Brasso meant to be good for scratches. .need to try it. ..we tried something from halfords but it made little difference to the scratches

We have used Sticky Stuff remover with excellent results. It is not cheap but it does the job and we also use it around the house

sticky_stuff_remover_liquid_larger.gif

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI