Sign in to follow this  
robhar

Review: Touareg

Superb car and towcar. The best I have ever owned.

Amazing acceleration makes overtaking and towing a breeze.

I love it!

I have just got back from a 80 mile tow ( verona packed by wife so heavy) fantastic calm experience with my rline touareg, 26 mpg 3 adults two kids one dog, two bikes. I have zero negative points to make, it is a dream to tow knowing endless power and total comfort at hand.

• Like 1

I've just bought one, 2006 3. 0 Altitude, pick it up when I get back from my offshore stint.

• Like 2

Just completed 1024 miles,door to door (but discounting Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry crossing)from Cheshire to Lagos,Portugal towing our fully loaded caravan with fully loaded car.

28mpg overall. Effortless towing. Cruise control is intuitive and the 5 mph increments make it more so.

Refinement is superb. Power is capable of surprising other drivers as well as myself.

Aircon excellent,to the extent that opening the door to exterior temps of 35c+ was a shock!

Negatives? I struggle; but connecting the caravan's electrics is a faff as you almost have to lie down under the rear bumper to connect.

Perhaps audible indicators, confirming electrics are working, would help.

I LOVE this car!

Edited by paulthomas
  • Like 1

Further update. Just towed from Lagos,Portugal to Cabopino,near Marbella. We came via Seville and Ronda. The stretch between Utrera and Ronda is mountainous with steep,winding,uphill climbs whilst there is a long,steep,winding descent from Ronda to Marbella. The car performed effortlessly,pulling uphill incredibly easily. Used Tiptronic for the descent and,again,towing was effortless.

Car and caravan steady as a rock all the way.

The route was as good a test for towability as you could find anywhere.

( There were stunning views on the descent where Gibraltar and its African equivalent could be seen rising out of a shimmering sea).

Edited by paulthomas

Sounds like a lovely trip. Glad car is going well, they are a nice motor!

• Like 1

Have any of you guys towing with a Touareg had a fan upgrade? I have read on the Treg forum that this is required when towing. I didn't notice any temp increases when I towed with mine. The new fan is rated at 250w higher and has larger cooling blades.

Plenty of dialogue Philip. Just do a search here on the forum and you'll find loads.

Mine is a factory fit towbar, so can't help you there!

I have just acquired 2015 Touareg, haven't towed yet as it only has minor mileage.

SO far love the car. .. think it will be a breeze towing. Economy is lower than I am used to but I expected that, I just need to come to terms with it. IE, it will never get to 50mpg. Maybe when its run in a little more. .. but defo not when I am towing regardless.

Time for a new van now! Thinking 6 berth separate shower cubical, etc. Maybe a 576 or 636 elddis/ compass

• Like 1

I'm joining you soon - my 2016 model is on order but no firm dates yet - first towing trip likely to be February so plenty of time to get it run in - no plans to change the caravan, this layout suits our needs better than bigger ones!

• Like 1

I have just acquired 2015 Touareg, haven't towed yet as it only has minor mileage.

SO far love the car. .. think it will be a breeze towing. Economy is lower than I am used to but I expected that, I just need to come to terms with it. IE, it will never get to 50mpg. Maybe when its run in a little more. .. but defo not when I am towing regardless.

Time for a new van now! Thinking 6 berth separate shower cubical, etc. Maybe a 576 or 636 elddis/ compass

I'm joining you soon - my 2016 model is on order but no firm dates yet - first towing trip likely to be February so plenty of time to get it run in - no plans to change the caravan, this layout suits our needs better than bigger ones!

You wont be disappointed gents. Just come back from France & the treg was superb. Loaded up 1500kg van, 4 bikes on the roof, car loaded up to the max. Returned 22mpg towing full loaded, normal towing mpg is around 24-25 without the bikes on the roof.

Normal economy is low to mid 30's & a lot less if you enjoy using the loud pedal :blink:

Just changing the van to 1800kg TA, and I'm not worried in the slightest about how it will tow

• Like 1

I have just towed 3,600 miles, first 1500 with 1600 kg and the rest with 2,500kg on the back and my 2015 model handled it perfect.

I also have not had the fan upgrade and the needle never moved from central, we had some real hot weather and some steep hills, plus 6 miles of standing traffic, no problem

Have any of you guys towing with a Touareg had a fan upgrade? I have read on the Treg forum that this is required when towing. I didn't notice any temp increases when I towed with mine. The new fan is rated at 250w higher and has larger cooling blades.

Factory towbar comes automatically with 850w fan

I have just towed 3,600 miles, first 1500 with 1600 kg and the rest with 2,500kg on the back and my 2015 model handled it perfect.

I also have not had the fan upgrade and the needle never moved from central, we had some real hot weather and some steep hills, plus 6 miles of standing traffic, no problem

Having towed 2500kg in Spain without the fan upgrade seems to indicate it's not an issue - other Touareg owners will be relieved.

Not criticising the Touareg at all,lovely vehicle looked at one myself at one point.

For those not as deep of pocket,we have the Passat Alltrack ( B7,B8 version just come out ) and it does all the things described for the Touareg,minus of course the weight it can pull,at a lighter cost.

Recently had two adults,two grandkids,full roofbox,full luggage space and 1550Kg of Unicorn Cadiz on the back and it never hiccuped.

Great car.

Ian

Not criticising the Touareg at all,lovely vehicle looked at one myself at one point.

For those not as deep of pocket,we have the Passat Alltrack ( B7,B8 version just come out ) and it does all the things described for the Touareg,minus of course the weight it can pull,at a lighter cost.

Recently had two adults,two grandkids,full roofbox,full luggage space and 1550Kg of Unicorn Cadiz on the back and it never hiccuped.

Great car.

Ian

The Passat AllTrack is the jacked-up estate version of the Tiguan, competing with the Subaru Outback.

The Touareg is for those of us without deep enough pockets for a Bentley Bentayga !!

• Like 1

The Passat AllTrack is the jacked-up estate version of the Tiguan, competing with the Subaru Outback.

The Touareg is for those of us without deep enough pockets for a Bentley Bentayga !!

A jacked up estate version of the Tiguan it may be but a superb vehicle all the same.

Don't see many Bentleys towing though.

Ian

Recently changed my car to VW Toauareg - towed with it last week (150 miles) It was dream to tow our Challenger 580 SE; it was solid on the road, it had plenty of power and the automatic gearbox was a joy.

The MPG towing was around 25 mpg - about 4/5 mpg less than my previous car (Tiguan) but well worth the difference . It gave one complete confidence in towing.

Hi everyone I tow with a 2006 Touareg lovely car I don't no if you no, after your towing outing, put your foot on the throttle push straight to floor then turn ignition on while foot to floor leave it on for 20 seconds then switch ignition off release foot off throttle and that reset the computer for the throttle and you will fell the difference,I do it every time after a towing journey thanks

Hi everyone I tow with a 2006 Touareg lovely car I don't no if you no, after your towing outing, put your foot on the throttle push straight to floor then turn ignition on while foot to floor leave it on for 20 seconds then switch ignition off release foot off throttle and that reset the computer for the throttle and you will fell the difference,I do it every time after a towing journey thanks

Good choice of towcar - might be better doing the reset both before and after the towing - it resets the transmission ECU as well.

Good choice of towcar - might be better doing the reset both before and after the towing - it resets the transmission ECU as well.

Grouse . .

Sorry. ..I don't understand this. Why, do we need to do this procedure. What are the benefits.

Is the procedure exactly as described above.

Thanks.

Kenzo.

Edited by kenzo

Sign in to follow this