Awning Poles

Biff

After spending ages,(and feeling rather daft) attempting to put our awning up on our first caravan a few years ago, i decided to make it easier erecting the poles,

I went out and bought various colours of electrical tape, and one day at home worked out how all the poles went together, and at each join put a certain color tape on each pole, so next time we just matched the colours.

when i ran out of colours i just doubled up i. e. 2 red bands etc

ray

They always look simple until you get on to site and you have a audiance, it never goes as planed, but that is what you take the wife and kids for so you can shout at them and people think they have done it wrong and the male pride stays intact.

The tape does work well that is how we do it but using numbers i. e all the 1's together and so on.

Did a similar colour coding exercise with our awning last year, used coloured rubber bands.

We went a step further and applyed the colours in the order the poles are to be used, as per the colours of the rainbow (ROYGBIV) - so first poles are Red, second poles are orange etc.

Also coloured the instruction diagram, so that you can see at a glance where the poles go . ... made several copies and popped them in clear plastic wallets (should laminate them really), so you've hopefully always got a copy to hand. .. and they don't blow away in the breeze !

Maybe a bit over the top - but if the campsite awning erector adjudicators are peering at your efforts, at least you can win marks for effort and forethought !

Cheers

Sarah

• 1 month later...

Teash,

when you say ages I presume you mean 1-2 yrs.

Bought a new NR 2 years back and it didn't have anything - but did it myself with 'lekki' tape.

Just got new awning (today!) and there were the tapes! And there was me thinking it was a new idea! :D

Teash,

when you say ages I presume you mean 1-2 yrs.

Bought a new NR 2 years back and it didn't have anything - but did it myself with 'lekki' tape.

Just got new awning (today!) and there were the tapes! And there was me thinking it was a new idea! :D

16166[/snapback]

Should have put quite some time and not AGES, then again in the life of a teash last week seems like months ago :D

To save running out of colours use nail varnish

SWMBO must have a wide colour selection

Hi all, our new nr awaning arrived this week, very quick service, ordered 3pm day1 arrived 9. 30 am day2 . we will be going to do a trail run this weekend,away from onlookers!! as it's our first ever awaning should be a fun couple of hours!!