Sign in to follow this  
Dan1

Onboard Water Disappearing!?

Hello, I have a strange and mysterious problem.

I have an onboard water tank, that for some reason has started to make its contents vanish.

I filled it right up and the next day it was practically empty.

I checked the overflow/ drain down pipe and tightened tightened tightened.

Added water, the next day gone.

So then I got some PTFE tape and put plenty on the thread, around the o-ring and even the solvent connection and the tube of the overflow/ drain down pipe to make a double effort.

This morning there is no water.

There is no other low level connections, splits, cracks, holes or signs of internal water seepage. The wood surrounding is dry.

Is there a trick I dont know of to apply PTFE?

Help!

Is it draining back into the aqua roll ? If it is then the none returne vave has faild at the water inlet

I had this on a 2005 swift concurer last week and it was a piece of grit stoping the valve from closing .

Draining back to the aquaroll is my suggestion too - the pipe can act as a syphon if the non-return valve has some grit in it.

Are you married? :D

Onboard water tank, as in water storage inside caravan that I fill up.

Hi

This may sound obvious, but is the on board water tank inboard or partially underslung? If the latter, is there evidence of a trickle etc?

Russell

Its suggested is it draining back in to Aqua Roll

So fill on board tank and make sure Aquaroll is full to the brim then if its draining back it should overflow the aquaroll

Womans Logic :)

Edited by Rita

Or turn the pump off, remove from the Aquaroll and place in a bucket.

Its not the aqua roll. ... It has a sealed, locked, filler cap.

Its fully internal.

OK So how do you fill it ?

With an external 12v socketed pump that I use to pump water (50l) into the tank. Remove pump, lock cap, switch on internal tank pump.

If the aquaroll is fully sealed, when pumping into the internal tank you will create a vacuum in the head space in the aquaroll, this vacuum will draw water back from the internal tank to the aquaroll.

Just a thought

S

With an external 12v socketed pump that I use to pump water (50l) into the tank. Remove pump, lock cap, switch on internal tank pump.

So, basically you fill the internal tank from a bucket \ aquaroll and then disconnect leaving the internal tank isolated.

If this is the case there has to be a leak somewhere in the system. Might be sensible to park over some dry slabs \ hard surface and check to see if any leak marks appear underneath.

Alternatively, where does the used waste water go? Is it into another internal tank? Is this filling as the fresh water depletes?

Are any of the taps or the shower leaking? Any leaks under the sink or shower? As Gellyneck suggests, park over some dry slabs. You should be able to see some evidence of a leak, 50 litres is a lot of water to lose overnight.

How do you release the used water? Is it into an outside container/wastemaster, or are you connected to a grey water outlet, (service pitch)? If so, maybe it is leaking via the waste pipes in some kind of syphon action.

Let us know how you get on, this is intriguing.

Mike.

Yep Mike. Head scratcher so far.

Im on a cl, so ive laid newspaper underneath and filled 20l.

Ive also silkaflexed the join underneath where the drain down pipe exits.

Tis intriguing.

Remember to stop reading the newspaper before you put it underneath! :)

Think more than me would be interested to hear your feedback later.

I had to dump about 25 litres of water from my internal tank via the drain valve before travelling home last week. . . 25 litres left a huge puddle/ stream under the van so I cant imagine how u can be loosing 50 litres and seein no evidence?

I have the same sort of onboard water tank. Fill it from an aquaroll, it takes exactly one full aquaroll. Disconnect aquaroll and the onboard system is fully self contained. I had a similar problem the first time we used the caravan. Couldn't inderstand how we had managed to use so much water in one night. Realised I had left the drain plugs open (or rather never closed them because I did not know at that stage they even existed!).

On my system there are three "taps". There are a pair of pipes by the water heater with taps on them. One stops the cold water getting to the heater, the other is to drain down the heater. Make sure they are both correctly switched. , which I think you have done already. Then at the base of my tank is a common or garden plughole with a plug. On mine this is attached by a chain to the screw off lid of the water tank. There have been occasions where the plug has not seated properly, a bit of grit found its way in or even the chain snagged in the plug. If this is sitting properly then you have a leak somewhere.

My tank sits on the floor of the seat locker. The only way for water to get out of it would be down this plughole or into the pipes. I would soon know if the tank itself was leaking.

If the leak was in the internal pipework I am sure you would have spotted water in the van somewhere: lets face it 3 aquarolls of water inside the van would show up somewhere!. I take it that the wastemaster or, if you have one, your onboard waste tank, has not been filling, so you can discount a dripping tap or shower. I don't suppose you or the missus has drunk it either.

In short, a mystery. Lets hope the newspaper trick works and helps you trace it.

This is truly mysterious - I'm dying to know the result ;)

Its suggested is it draining back in to Aqua Roll

So fill on board tank and make sure Aquaroll is full to the brim then if its draining back it should overflow the aquaroll

Womans Logic :)

Or a empty Aquaroll and see if it fills with any water. . :)

Few days ago, we had a "flood" and the on board water tank overflowed into the double floor/insulated area. ... but that was only a few litres and was easily traceable.

Russell

Even more strange and annoying is that I did the newspaper idea for 2hrs while I went out. Came back and its all dry. Ahhh, fixed me thinks.

Filled it right up last night for a final test.

Today it is mostly empty. Pump was isolated, filler cap locked.

Now I am going to remove the tank and probably silkaflex every join. And if its still leaking, im flumoxed.

By now I have lost circa 100L and the van is still dry internally?

Are you saying that you filled tank went out and tank was still full on return ?

So if it only empties during the night I reckon you got secret showerers :)

Dan, instead of filling the tank at night and then finding it empty in the morning. Why not fill it in the morning and check all around the van inside and out for leaks that should soon become visible with that amount of water "disappearing".

Harry