Advice And Tips For My 1979 Viking Fibreline

danstamp

Hello Im new to caravans I have wanted one for ages but the cost of a caravan has been beyond my reach with a young family, we now finally have a 1979 fibreline and we are over the moon with it and have been busy tidying it up as it was covered in decals and was pretty filthy I have a few questions if anybody would be so kind as to help

1. I appear to have some damp/soft wood around one of the windows I have replaced the rubber as this was all cracked and broken, is it a big job that could potentially damage the van should I try and cut this out.

2. there is a small hole in the floor where the door has not been shutting properly again as above should I just cut this out there is a hollow between the the whole and then the fiberglass underneath I take it these are not structural or safety issues as the rest of the van is in tip top condition, remarkable when its age is taken into account.

3. I need some spares the water heater knob is missing its a main nymph any ideas? and also a door hinge

4. Why do these vans seem so collectible I was almost gifted mine and after looking they seem to go for quite a lot I have no intention of getting rid of it but im suprised at the value.

5. I have the original occupiers handbook should anybody want a copy

I hope I haven't run on to much and thanks in advance.

post-62085-0-74388300-1371497850_thumb.jpg

post-62085-0-22712700-1371497852_thumb.jpg

post-62085-0-56009000-1371497853_thumb.jpg

post-62085-0-27214500-1371497854_thumb.jpg

Looks a cracking little van, and well worth keeping in good nick.

Any soft or rotten wood needs cutting out and replacing, it won`t get better, only worse. Any wood around the windows (particularly the large front one) needs sorting as it may well be structural - we had a Lunar that had a rotten shelf above the windows. It was a pig to replace as it tied both sides to the front of the van - it was a common problem and I saw loads for sale that had been replaced but stopped short of the sides, so was useless structurally.

Things like hinges and knobs may best be sourced through a caravan breakers, but you can probably get hold of some substitutes that will serve until you get the correct ones.

Best of luck with it.

Looks a nice caravan good luck, same as above, replace the rotten wood and find out how the water's getting in.

They seem to being brought back to life the Viking caravans these days, i'd definetly keep hold of it.

Compass Shadow 1988