Help Please Intermitent Gas Problem!

Hi all,

I'm new to caravanning and we have just bought a Sterling Europe 460 from a dealer. We have previously been using a Motorhome for the last four years.

We love the van, and the first time out in it, and we turned the gas on (brand new gas cylinder) it worked fine. ....for a few minutes, and then the flow of gas stopped. It came on again after half an hour, allowed us to cook some things in the oven, then stopped again.

It would occasionally come on again, but not for long.

We called the dealer, who sent someone out to fix it, and it worked.

Last weekend we went away, and the same happened - trying to bbq roast potatoes is very difficult!

The dealer has again been out, and fitted a new regulator yesterday, and the gas worked! Until today and its now stopped.

I very much doubt the dealer will be able to get someone out before next Thursday,when we start a trip to Ireland for two weeks.

This problem is seriously going to affect the enjoyment of our holiday, and I just wondered if anyone had any practical suggestions as to what we might try to remedy this problem.

All help and suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks.

I presume he found the old problem of regulator failure due to oil contamination, which is looking very likely that, it has also gone through into pipework. This will probably need appliances disconnecting and pipe work clearing.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

If you have a different gas bottle, I would suggest trying that.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Which appliances are you actually using, internal or external gas point.

Some appliances are fitted with gas cut outs if the pilot light goes out,

if one is faulty or getting blown out it will cut the supply to the appliance

Just had another thought, take gas bottle off and open valve and see if it has plenty of pressure as my friend had a new Propane last year and it had a faulty valve, only allowing minimal gas through. When all appliances were turned of it allowed a slow build up again to let things light for a few minutes. He took bottle back and supplier changed it.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Just had another thought, take gas bottle off and open valve and see if it has plenty of pressure as my friend had a new Propane last year and it had a faulty valve, only allowing minimal gas through. When all appliances were turned of it allowed a slow build up again to let things light for a few minutes. He took bottle back and supplier changed it.

That is why I suggested trying another bottle, as either faulty valve, or major oil contamination!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thanks for your suggestions people. We bought a new gas bottle today, and will fit it tomorrow.

We are using the gas rings on the hob or the oven, on an internal gas point. .

The repair bloke from the dealer didn't actually find any problem, in fact he said he couldn't find a problem, but changed the regulator anyway. We tried it and it worked, and decided to leave the gas on overnight to check it properly - and come the morniing. ...thats when it didn't work again.

We have tested it three times today and it hasn't worked - why does it always work when they come to repair it! :unsure:

I had the regulator on my Pegasus fail in under 6 months from purchase of the van as new. My dealer changed the regulator and also the pigtail (pigtail at my expense) and told me not to use the old pigtail or gas bottle again. I was using a well known light gas but have changed to another brand. No problems since.

Right. ....make sure when you cook you have the glass hob top pushed ALL the way back! If it slightly tilts forward it will shut the hobs off as they have a safety valve on them. If the glass is closed you cant turn the hobs on as gas will not flow to the hobs. The valve only opens when its pushed ALL the way back so the glass is vertical. You may have had it at different heights every time you cook thus working one time and not another. Push it all the way back! :)

Edited by Faffyandjus

Right. ....make sure when you cook you have the glass hob top pushed ALL the way back! If it slightly tilts forward it will shut the hobs off as they have a safety valve on them. If the glass is closed you cant turn the hobs on as gas will not flow to the hobs. The valve only opens when its pushed ALL the way back so the glass is vertical. You may have had it at different heights every time you cook thus working one time and not another. Push it all the way back! :)

:goodpost: :goodpost:

Thanks the cooker hood suggestion is very good and one we hadn't considered and will try today!

Edited by Vintage65

Genius. ........the hob cover does not automatically sit back on anything. You have to push it right back, so it feels like you are straining the hinges and behold - we have gas - permanently! Thank you so much Faffynjus!!!!! We can now holiday without worrying!

Brilliant forum - thanks everyone who contributed suggestions.

What model cooker is it?

Good feedback for others.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Good idea Lefthand Down - the model is a Stoves DF 500 DIT. And very odd that the dealers workshop had no idea this could be an issue. Cheers All

No problem. ...i just knew that was the problem to start! Had this problem sooooooo many times before it rang all the bells of this. 22 years as a techy pays off now and again! lol lol. Enjoy ya hols now!

The regs do fail but what you were saying, on and off then on again is not regulator at all! he should have picked up on that really. ..but hey hoh its fixed now!

Which proves that sometimes experience triumphs over certificates. ...Peter :ph34r:

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Saw this in the news. ....... by the late Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Which proves that sometimes experience triumphs over certificates. ...Peter :ph34r:

With the fear of blowing wind up my botty. ....yes it does sometimes. Although i have every single C & G qualification there is now going in the industry, 36 factory training certifcates, Bailey Elite Alutech sidewall and roof replacement (only 8 others do in the country)....im afraid good old common sense and expereince in the job ( as ive done nothing else in my working life but repair caravans and motorhomes) is what i use most! And i love caravanning myself at 38 years of age. Cant wait for my next trip away to Cambs in July. Then Alton Towers in July and Devon in August in Swift Chall Sport 554! Cant wait!!!! :D:D:D

Edited by Faffyandjus

Have u tried turning the gas bottle off and only having it turned on a bit, too much pressure from bottle seizing up the regulator ?

You may be wise to ask the person from the dealer why he didn't

Identify the problem!

And why he changed the regulator if the regulator wasn't at fault.

Agreed! Never the regulator. Not with these symptoms.

This is funny!! We bought a conqueror 630 last Fridsy and set out on a weekend "tester" straightaway. Put our curries in the oven all fine until the wife went and checked them after 20 mins and the oven was only warm. Couldn't get the oven to light for ages. ..........yes you guessed it, I had put the hob lid down after lighting!

Pleased you got it sorted, made me smile reading your woes.

Graham

Genius. ........the hob cover does not automatically sit back on anything. You have to push it right back, so it feels like you are straining the hinges and behold - we have gas - permanently! Thank you so much Faffynjus!!!!! We can now holiday without worrying!

Brilliant forum - thanks everyone who contributed suggestions.

Just had the same thought about the hob reading an old notification email. I was going to suggest trying the heater at the same time you were having gas issues. I recently had an issue with the gas supply in our van. Couldn't get the hob to light or the fridge. Space heater was fine! The hob acted as if there was really low pressure as it would light with a very small weak flame that would flash around the burner and then go out, as if the gas bottle was empty. Turned out the hob lid wasn't fully pushed back. The fridge issue turned out to be an issue with the fridge and unrelated but had me wondering what on earth was going on as the space heater was fine!

Glad you got your issue fixed.

2005 Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI 130 2007 Mondeo Ghia X 2. 0 TDCI 130 + 1991 Bailey Scorpio Avallon 2005 Ace Jubilee Courier

Totally agree with caravanmedicswindon. The first thing the engineer should have done was a pressure test, this would have confirmed the problem was not the regulator,