Sign in to follow this  
Barstan

Bailey Unicorn Alarm

i would welcome advice on a Baiey Unicorn (2012) alarm problem. Last week on site, the alarm started, had to stop by discoonnect leisure battery. Then reconnect all OK. Until hitch up, car ignition on and the alarm starts again. Again, disconnect the leisure battery, again stops, ignition on again .

alarm starts again. Did so all the way home 80 miles and worst nobody takes any notice -even a parked Police car !

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Was it the same with both fobs, and did you get the one beep for disarmed?

I haven't read about a problem like this one, but with the U1 due to the low number of codes, other Unicorns nearby on site can set the alarm.

I'm not sure but I think you can resynchronize the fobs. ?

Edited by xtrailman

Have you tried changing the battery in the PIR unit - dunno if that might help.

I do note that the key fob button is very sensitive and it easy to keep setting and unsetting the aalrm when it's just in a pocket (even a coat). But xtrailman does have a point, I've been on sites where adjacent vans have been triggered.

Is it still doing it now you are home?

Edited by matelodave

Is the battery back up switched off or faulty. My Sargent alarm beeps when the back up battery is turned off

The alarm was set. By disconnecting the battery all you did was mute the alarm. You need to unset it with the fob to disarm it as the onboard battery retains it in the set state.

Sincere thanks to you all for your kind advice. We checked the Fob's with no change. We are back home now, and immediate unhitch, the alarm stops. So possible electrical? The possibility that other nearby vans could trigger (or disengage) is a worry, glad it's got Tracker fitted. As is under warranty I think a visit best solution.

Thanks again!

Van (B) Van ©

Van (A)

Our mk1 Valencia (A) is stored 6-7 metres in front of two other mk1 Valencias. Whenever we go to our van, if van © is on site we set off its alarm. Our fobs won't silence van © though.

We don't set our alarm whilst in storage but the PIR device is constantly working. Perhaps a wired PIR device would be better than a wireless one - at least then it would only talk to its own alarm system.

HN

I superglued a rubber sealing ring off a hoselock fitting around the fob switch, so far this seems to have reduced the false triggers.

John

We have a pamplona and the only problem so far with the alarm is stting it off inmy pocket :lol: .

As for the tracker is was cheaper to not pay the subscription than what the insurance discount was.

Also we are on a new for old policy,god for bid it goes missing.

PS what do you think to the van? We love ours. THAT big end bed and no climbing over each other for the loo.

We have not yet come across another on site ??????

I superglued a rubber sealing ring off a hoselock fitting around the fob switch, so far this seems to have reduced the false triggers.

John

Same here but cut a electricians grommet in half and super glued that on.

Hi Waltons, Sorry about the delay to re-contact, unfortunate hospital stay has put the damper on caravan activities lately.

It's difficult to handle the usual hitch/ unhitch with crutches.

The alarm issue was dealt with by the dealer, as still in warranty. Noted that the initial call handling was poor.

As for the Pamplona, it's a fantastic van, the through bathroom shower was the winner for us. We too have not seen another Pamplona on sites, and now Bailey have deleted (strange decision) it is more unlikely.

Hoping to hit the road late July through August

the batterys are in the pir unit change the batterys

Hi Waltons, Sorry about the delay to re-contact, unfortunate hospital stay has put the damper on caravan activities lately.

The alarm issue was dealt with by the dealer, as still in warranty. Noted that the initial call handling was poor.

As for the Pamplona, it's a fantastic van, the through bathroom shower was the winner for us. We too have not seen another Pamplona on sites, and now Bailey have deleted (strange decision) it is more unlikely.

Hope you are well soon and manage to get away. We are setting off for france at the end of july . We are away for a 19 night trip. We can't wait. Heaven knows why bailey dropped the layout. We hope they re do this layout sometime in the next 5 years, if not we will hang onto it or buy from a different manufacturer. I don't want to give the car reg up though. UN11CRN. :D

We have the Cabrera the single axle version, we love the centre island bed and the through washroom shower is great, the front seats are a little smaller but that does not worry us, it was the bedroom which we feel in love with, a big mistake by Bailey to discontinue them.

Hi Waltons. Enjoy your trip to France, I will look out for UN11CRN. Hoping I ma back n action after this week 2 knee drain procedures. Not nice.

We abolutley love the Pamplona layout, and it will be with us for some time, I hope,

Like Poppyman we looked at the Cebrera, but preferred the TA route, and as the weight was not an issue we did the deal.

To you all enjoy the summer. If you see a Audi Q7 (21 BTA) with a Pamplona . come say hello.

What would get me thinking by travelling 80ml with alarm blurting out, is why tracker havent picked up the signal after five min the tracker should have kicked in and contacted you, iwould be questioning this and ring tracker to se if your tracker is registered and your details registered correctly. there are reports of tracker not getting the details from the dealers. I checked mine with them and all was ok. That is if the alarm was fully functional and it wasn't a malfunction of the alarm not triggering the tracker. As said above alarms have been known to go off on sites that have other baileys in close proximity to other bailey vans due to cross connection to other pir's due to low coding I do believe this is about 10/15 different codes so the more baileys on site the more if a chance of your alarm being set off. My alarm kept going off at over christmas up @ braymar when another u2 barcelona came on site and sttarted to behave itself when he left. so its still apparent in the newer vans.

langesrs8, Exactly my thoughts.

We had travelled around 80 miles A roads and M6, and was 10 miles from home before i had a call from Tracker checking the VN status. That was around 1 HR 45 mins from the start. Tracker was registered, All appears to be reset, but I plan a short run this weekend coming to make ur before a Euro trip, as I am not yet . convinced.

Sincere thanks to you all for your kind advice. We checked the Fob's with no change. We are back home now, and immediate unhitch, the alarm stops. So possible electrical? The possibility that other nearby vans could trigger (or disengage) is a worry, glad it's got Tracker fitted. As is under warranty I think a visit best solution.

Thanks again!

If your alarm was armed properly in this situation, you would have had calls from Tracker on your journey home, asking you if your van was being stolen!!

Therefore I would venture to suggest that there is a fault on your alarm system - a warranty issue for your dealer.

If your alarm was armed properly in this situation, you would have had calls from Tracker on your journey home, asking you if your van was being stolen!!

Therefore I would venture to suggest that there is a fault on your alarm system - a warranty issue for your dealer.

Nick_Pam. it was and we did get a call from Tracker after 80 mies about 1 hr 45 mins ! not exacty reassuring.

You are right . my thoughts warranty / dealer problem, alas the dealer referred the alarm problem to Tracker (?). Tracker did call and verbally advised a "reset' procedure so this weekends travel will give the resut

Had a similar problem with my 2011 Valencia when new, cured by removing battery and re-fitting it with a deliberate one-shot movement, this re-fitting method is important so I was told, as hesitancy can cause troublesome electrical spikes. It's been fine (for a 2nd rate system that is) ever since. Do frequently have problems due to other Unicorns dis-arming ours though. Tracker system proved a total annoyance & a waste of time so never renewed it.

This alarm system is the no. ! reason why I would not buy another Bailey, the rest of it is pretty good!

Tracker system proved a total annoyance & a waste of time so never renewed it.

This alarm system is the no. ! reason why I would not buy another Bailey, the rest of it is pretty good!

That's good to know - the Aussie Baileys still have this device fitted but its a complete waste of space over here since its not supported.

I removed our 'black box' to save (2kg) weight, it's in the garage if anybody can make use of it. ..