Sign in to follow this  
ery mania

Mot Style Roadworthiness Tests For Caravans

Guest Beagler

Seems a practical way to me.

Start with say 2003 then move backwards 2 years every year.

This would give priority, for protection, to the younger vans that are more likely to be stolen.

was that what you had in mind, Beagler ?

David

Something like that David

I think some sort of MOT system should be bought in and maybe incorporate it into the annual service? There are a lot of vans out there in a sorry state of disrepair where tyres, brakes, chassis are neglected. But yes overloading a van cannot be picked up on, unless VOSA happens to strike it lucky

I've read many references to annual service.

The car MOT has nothing to do with an annual service, so why would a caravan MOT be releated to a service?

I don't pay to have my van serviced, but then, I don't pay to have my car serviced either.

I do it myself.

Paying to register the caravan, then to have it MOT'd, then, as the earlier suggestion, having to pay to SORN it when not in use. ..well, it'd either be a return to the tent, or binning the idea of an annual holiday for us.

Yes, use the law to penalise those with unsafe outfits, but I believe we already have laws covering this.

Who would test it? The MOT station I use could test the brake system, but that's about it.

What would be tested? Hitch, brakes and maybe chassis. What else for roadworthiness. Or, would they look at living equipment.

I don't have a problem with something to make sure trailers are roadworthy, but if it becomes a cash cow, then, no, I'd object.

Guest Beagler

Can some one explain the significance of SORN in respect of a possible caravan MOT. SORN is declared when a car is no longer taxed. If the MoT runs out on a car you take it off the road and only declare SORN when the Tax runs out. you could take a caravan off the road and not need to declare SORN if it only had an MOT. ...or am I missing something??

• So if it has tax and a mot can i now park it on the road permanantly ? :rolleyes: But then can i be found drunk in charge of motor vehicle if i was to have a few beers at dinner and then go and do some work inside the van :unsure:

• Chris L

Why are we saying the mot has to involve taxing the caravan as well? My caravan here in France has its own number plate and registration certificate ( reduces theft perhaps? Personally I know of no caravan theft here. .. Only theft from a caravan) a check on the condition of the tow hitch brake test correct function of the road lights etc. can only help keep the unsafe outfits off the road. I would hope we all check road lights every time we hook up. I also have caravan insurance documents kept with car insurance in the car which can be asked for by the police. .. Surely all this can help make our investments in this wonderful pastime safer and more relaxing.

Guest jks

Why are we saying the mot has to involve taxing the caravan as well? My caravan here in France has its own number plate and registration certificate ( reduces theft perhaps? Personally I know of no caravan theft here. .. Only theft from a caravan) a check on the condition of the tow hitch brake test correct function of the road lights etc. can only help keep the unsafe outfits off the road. I would hope we all check road lights every time we hook up. I also have caravan insurance documents kept with car insurance in the car which can be asked for by the police. .. Surely all this can help make our investments in this wonderful pastime safer and more relaxing.

Couldn't agree more. Good posting!

Unfortunately, the sceptic in me says that if the government has the the opportunity of taxing a previously untaxed resource, saying that by taxing it, it will then be better and more secure etc, don't you think that this tax will rise over time, look at car tax, some of it is getting stupid now, the TV licence, need I go on.

Some posts on this thread are almost talking themselves into a Caravan tax, be careful.

Edited by Marks

Just to give you an idea of the possible costs involved:

The TÜV (MOT equivalent in Germany) costs 45 Euros every two years for my caravan.

Add to that the vehicle tax. In Germany trailers are taxed by weight and that amounts to 7. 46 Euros for every 200kg or part thereof.

Maybe because caravans have their own registration certificate is at least partly the reason why caravan thefts over here are almost unheard of (which makes for lower insurance rates). I have never had a hitchlock or wheel clamp or any other security feature fitted to my caravan.

Edited by Lutz

Guest Beagler

That was the essence of my point also, no need for the issue of SORN.

I put this down to the great British reaction of " oh my god they're going to change things we will pay more/ get less/ be controlled" usually it works out one or more of those but look through the posts on here and see how many are about theft or safety or costs if having "proper" documentation for a caravan worth a considerable amount sometimes more than the car pulling it, if by bringing in some form of control, traceability V5 type document this added "expense" in theory should bring down some of the other costs? Eg my caravan costs about the same to insure as my horse trailer and around here the horse trailer is a far more nickable commodity! IF this is done correctly it will only make things better, involve a politician and it is going to turn into a fiasco LOL

I think some sort of MOT system should be bought in and maybe incorporate it into the annual service? There are a lot of vans out there in a sorry state of disrepair where tyres, brakes, chassis are neglected. But yes overloading a van cannot be picked up on, unless VOSA happens to strike it lucky

How many of those caravans have actually been involved in a mishap on the roads? In the UK less than 0. 06% of road traffic accidents where there is a casualty, involve a caravan (not necessarily the cause). (UK Department for Transport).

IMHO MOT is a waste of time as it does not prevent overloading, badly loaded or speeding caravans on the road. As far as I am aware, it is not an offence to have a tyre on a caravan that is 20 years old and has a few cracks which sort of makes mockery of a MOT.

Perhaps what is preferable to a MOT is driver education where you need to do a written test on towing trailers and caravans followed by a physical test. Perhaps then many will realise the speed limits when towing trailers and be aware of nose weights and over or badly loaded units.

Folk are starting scares about "its going to cost you".

What I want doesn't have to !

I desire my van to be on the police number plate recognition data base, as a theft deterrent.

My expectation is a one off fee of £25. ( in France it's about €35 ) you normally buy a plate with your car number then buy a new one if you change your tug.

We don't need a VED disc or an MOT DISC, instead require insurance companies to issue front window discs that shows that they have checked that you have had an annual service, at an approved workshop & obviously you are insured.

I raised the suggestion in post #3 that the annual service is as good as an MOT. NO ONE HAS CONTRADICTED THAT.

I feel for the likes of Father Ted who services his own car & van. I used to service my car in simpler days up to 1980. But I don't think he issues MOTs.

It really is as simple as that.

Any politician, that wants to charge more, needs flogging.

David

Does anyone know if all caravan VIN numbers are fed into the CRiS database as this is used by insurance companies and police when a caravan is manufactured or it is entered by the dealers ?

As said your car insurance could request a road worthy test to insure a trailer as Insurance companies already do this with vehicles and the MOT .

I can't see why a insurance company should not confirm a trailer is properly roadworthy if they are expected to insure it .

Dave

Folk are starting scares about "its going to cost you".

What I want doesn't have to !

I desire my van to be on the police number plate recognition data base, as a theft deterrent.

My expectation is a one off fee of £25. ( in France it's about €35 ) you normally buy a plate with your car number then buy a new one if you change your tug.

We don't need a VED disc or an MOT DISC, instead require insurance companies to issue front window discs that shows that they have checked that you have had an annual service, at an approved workshop & obviously you are insured.

I raised the suggestion in post #3 that the annual service is as good as an MOT. NO ONE HAS CONTRADICTED THAT.

I feel for the likes of Father Ted who services his own car & van. I used to service my car in simpler days up to 1980. But I don't think he issues MOTs.

It really is as simple as that.

Any politician, that wants to charge more, needs flogging.

David

I think it is rather careless to think that the government would not look upon this as an opportunity to raise money. As someone else has already said, boating is several factors more expensive than caravanning, yet still popular. If a scheme needs setting up from scratch, it is going to need more than a £25 one off fee, I don't know where that level would be.

I can see it being gradually phased in as already suggested, starting with all new trailers from a certain date, but also rising in cost, so that by the time your "new" caravan is three years old, it could well cost you double or triple what the initial price was when the scheme was introduced.

As for the comment about politicians wanting to charge more, they are all as bad as each other, if they think they can get away with it they will. Road tax or "green taxes" are a good example here.

markx

spot on the money.

You can see where all this is going to lead.

Road tax for caravans in the UK.

Caravans are not cars.

Looking at my storage compound more than 3/4 of the caravans are hardly ever used.

A caravan MOT will not affect my outgoings one bit.

It will however affect the backbone of caravanning the young families that want a cheap holiday and buy an old van-like we did 30? years ago.

That market will vanish.

The construction and use regulations give the police powers to deal with unroadworthy caravans so that's that dealt with.

On the ownership question yes it is a problem but boat owners have much more valuable units than caravanners you do not hear them wanting their boats to be even more regulated.

markxspot on the money. You can see where all this is going to lead. Road tax for caravans in the UK. Caravans are not cars. Looking at my storage compound more than 3/4 of the caravans are hardly ever used. A caravan MOT will not affect my outgoings one bit. It will however affect the backbone of caravanning the young families that want a cheap holiday and buy an old van-like we did 30? years ago. That market will vanish. The construction and use regulations give the police powers to deal with unroadworthy caravans so that's that dealt with. On the ownership question yes it is a problem but boat owners have much more valuable units than caravanners you do not hear them wanting their boats to be even more regulated.

Hi Ancell,

Road Tax was replaced by Vehicle Emission Duty.

Cars that make very low emissions already pay nothing so a caravan would be axiomatically free, so why invent it.

The only sticker I need is an annual insurance sticker that shows its insurer thinks it is roadworthy.

The other thing I need is registration so that it shows on a police data base it's NPR, IN CASE IT WAS STOLEN.

I would have the reg number etched with the VIN on the windows.

Stealing it becomes very tricky.

If you think about, instead of just being anti, you will know this makes sense.

David

Swizz unlike many I am all for CRiS it has worked for me-sort of.

We just need to make CRiS mandatory ie bring it into road vehicle regs.

Road tax I stand corrected.

Govt. employees-like I used to be-are adept at calling tax another thing-its all road tax to me.

Without going to much OP yet again if you think about it someone in the treasury won a watch with VED ie increase the overall tax take while making it look "fairer".

I expect "Sir Humphreys" to be equally creative with extracting revenue from caravans.

To repeat caravan "MOTs" will hit the long suffering very put upon young families buying cheap caravans.

It will make almost no difference to me.

However in the likely event of illness over a year or more it would affect my decision on giving up caravanning instead of just paying my annual storage fee of under £300.

Hi Ancell

My suggested system DOES NOT HAVE AN MOT.

I want your insurer to be convinced it is roadworthy because of your bill from a registered workshop that you have had a full service.

They should then issue a sticker for your windscreen.

Your ADDITIONAL costs would be

A one off registration perhaps transferred from the dreaded CRiS of I suggest £25.

They would not dare charge more than France's €35 simply because they boringly bang on about being more efficient than the EU.

One new number plate ( I'm guessing £12 to £15 )

I suggest you have the new plate number etched on your windows to deter theft. Your insurer might give a discount for that.

David

More expense for the caravaner, if i thought at present there was a high chance of a caravan being towed in front of me causing an accident due to mechanical issue then i would agree with an annual mot, but i dont think its warrented, To suggest an annual service would suffice is naieve, just because you get a sheet telling whats been checked or adjusted does not mean it has been done, I worked in the car industry its the same, Its amazing how a pleasent reception and polite customer service fools many, secret is for a little while make the customer feel important, works wonders, I know its blunt but many get ripped off when buying, servicing and trading, keep there smiles, just give me value for money, An annual MOT will be a money spinner for the dealers, if statstitics showed a need for to improve safety yes but i worry more sitting behind builders pickups and lorrys for fear of flying wheel barrows, mixing boards etc which has been a reality.

Hi Clasman,

I am not advocating ANY change to the servicing.

There must be NO EXCUSE for raising charges.

Once insurers can compare who did a service with which vans failed, there will effectively be more intense monitoring of services.

If a pattern, of failures, emerges then an offending workshop risks being de-registered.

Thus my suggested system should make for reduction of cheating, in servicing.

Maybe we should also expect to collect parts that have been replaced, & dispose of them elsewhere.

David

Hi Ancell

My suggested system DOES NOT HAVE AN MOT.

I want your insurer to be convinced it is roadworthy because of your bill from a registered workshop that you have had a full service.

They should then issue a sticker for your windscreen.

Your ADDITIONAL costs would be

A one off registration perhaps transferred from the dreaded CRiS of I suggest £25.

They would not dare charge more than France's €35 simply because they boringly bang on about being more efficient than the EU.

One new number plate ( I'm guessing £12 to £15 )

I suggest you have the new plate number etched on your windows to deter theft. Your insurer might give a discount for that.

David

Stickers are already used that are stuck on the A frame after a service on my caravan. Police can see just by running along side the date of the sticker to tell when the caravan was last serviced.

Surely it would be easier instead of a sticker in windscreens for a service. to just use a online system like the current MOT and DVLA

Cheaper as well I would think .

Dave

Stickers are already used that are stuck on the A frame after a service on my caravan. Police can see just by running along side the date of the sticker to tell when the caravan was last serviced.

Surely it would be easier instead of a sticker in windscreens for a service. to just use a online system like the current MOT and DVLA

Cheaper as well I would think .

Dave

Hi Dave,

I expect that an on line record would follow if my system was used. But the window sticker is a good reminder to the owner for planning a refresh.

Of the 2 aspects I expect more out of a dedicated number plate. Repeating the number on the windows makes the van less valuable to steal also being on the Police NPR could aid quick arrests.

David

do you end up with 2 number plates on van?

one for tug & one for van aswell, as illegal not to have matching numbers?

Just the one plate, if you speed the van plate is attributable to you too if caught by a camera, looking at rears.

There is not room for 2 plates, usually

This system has been used in France for years.

David

Sign in to follow this