Sign in to follow this  
ery mania

Mot Style Roadworthiness Tests For Caravans

Beg to differ, a caravan in the dark with no lights is not only a danger to other road users but illegal.

I was thinking during daylight hours as I guessed no one would be foolish enough to take an unlit caravan on the road at night.

But the justification for mot's will be the many casual owners who have a Caravan or trailer on their drive for very long periods, hitch up and go.

They believe decent tread means the tyres are fine, brakes will unseize themselves, and mould and bad earthing is acceptable on roadlights. This audience here is the "converted". Many many more are not.

I did consider that in my post and addressed it by saying that the culprits should be dealt with.

In the many accidents/collisions that I have seen, on the roads, caravans come way down the list of priorities for attention. I do think that driver education should be a greater priority but that would cost money so cross that off the list. Of course there are those that will never listen and they should be punished accordingly.

We have just had the best year ever for fewest fatalities on our roads, and still the so called safety legislation keeps coming.

I do think that there comes a point where the costs can begin to outweigh the benefits and maybe it is time there was a realisation that we cannot legislate risk out of our lives.

Once again, as is usually the case, we inconvenience the rest financially so that we can bring the irresponsible into line. Is that not the proposal to deal with binge drinkers?

Regards,

Ian.

But if a standard isn't set and defined by law, there will be nothing to measure against,

Look at the amount of trailers caught when the police setup stings at motorway services, but often only have to give 'advice'

I don't say I'm in favour, but I do think it will be unavoidable.

Guest Beagler

I was thinking during daylight hours as I guessed no one would be foolish enough to take an unlit caravan on the road at night.

There's are long tunnels, heavy mists and and sudden summer thunderstorms when visibility is poor all unexpected incidences when lights are required during the hours of expected daylight.

But if a standard isn't set and defined by law, there will be nothing to measure against,

Look at the amount of trailers caught when the police setup stings at motorway services, but often only have to give 'advice'

I don't say I'm in favour, but I do think it will be unavoidable.

I agree but my point is, is there a need to put on place another testing regime at all? Do the figures and costs justify it? After all are we not tested to death in search of the impossible target of total safety?

I could make an argument either way but I have come down on the side of not imposing more testing and subsequent costs because of most caravan incidents being out down to human error so, with the exception of tyres, actual vehicle failures are relatively rare,

Regards,

Ian.

Annual (or two yearly) testing is not some panacea, it is simply a snap-shot. Bad owners will do anything they can to get a vehicle through a test. I knew someone who would MOT my car and pass it on trust that any defects he found he could trust me to rectify. And he can't be the only one.

For many people (perhaps most?) the only thing that prevents them from doing something is the risk of getting caught. Blue sidelights are not legal, but look how many cars you see with them. Those cars have passed an MOT and the owner has simply put the blue ones back in. The same with after-market HID lamps. I even have evidence of someone having swapped their wheels on a BMW X5 with a friend's for the MOT test because the tyres were worn on the inside edges. MOT pass certificate in hand the wheels & tyres were swapped back over.

There is only one answer in my opinion and that answer is one word. ENFORCEMENT. Police or VOSA I don't mind which.

There is only one answer in my opinion and that answer is one word. ENFORCEMENT. Police or VOSA I don't mind which.

:goodpost: I agree 120%!

There are always round any govt. legislation-just look at all the richest people in the UK paying NIL tax!

Back on OP the jap car enthusiasts knock the insides out the catalytic converter bump up the boost fit a manual boost control and rechip the engine.

You can safely gain 50%BHP-the engine will not last long though!

Next problem how to get a pass on the emissions for the MOT-simple go to your friendly MOT station and clone another cars emissions--they have been doing it for years!

I am the bearer of bad (or good) news - depending on how you see it. The European Parliament has voted in the requirement for caravan MOT's.

In summary;

'MEPs voted for mandatory checks on motorcycles in all member states from 2016 and on mopeds from 2018, unless a Commission study finds that testing of mopeds would be ineffective.

They also voted to extend mandatory checks to trailers weighing over two tonnes and to caravan trailers over 750 kg and backed existing standards for trailers over 3,5 tonnes.'

So can we rely on you to post the result immediately after the vote?

Yep. .....

So I was correct in my assumptions.

You can guarantee the next cash strapped mediocre govt. will introduce a tax and control caravan regime.

I am the bearer of bad (or good) news - depending on how you see it. The European Parliament has voted in the requirement for caravan MOT's.

In summary;

'MEPs voted for mandatory checks on motorcycles in all member states from 2016 and on mopeds from 2018, unless a Commission study finds that testing of mopeds would be ineffective.

They also voted to extend mandatory checks to trailers weighing over two tonnes and to caravan trailers over 750 kg and backed existing standards for trailers over 3,5 tonnes.'

Any news on possible time tables for caravans yet?

'MEPs voted for mandatory checks on motorcycles in all member states from 2016 and on mopeds from 2018, unless

Although I am in favour of caravan MOTs this vote is both unfairly discriminatory & illogical.

Illogical, because it would be possible to tow a trailer of just under 2000 kg carrying a caravan that had failed its own MOT.

The caravan might have better running gear than the trailer it was sat upon !

At least the caravan would have to be registered & presumably on the ANPR system, which I feel is more important than being subject to MOT testing

David

Any news on possible time tables for caravans yet?

Not as yet but the draft called for end of 2017

I think this along with the cost of changing the anti freeze in the ALDE heating system which is over and above the cost of a service has put paid to our caravanning days and we are going to sell up. Cheaper to rent a cottage for a week in most months than to own a caravan and also less hassle! :angry:

Ah but looking at the big picture UK recreational caravanning its just a step change just like the car market.

With cheap finance it will be easy for a family to own a newish caravan.

The hidden costs EG MOTs will just be part of the brave new world of caravanning.

Remember the vultures-sorry capitalists will flock to the rejuvenated market.

I see it as a whole new caravan culture just like the modern rather disposable car.

This is bad news. :(

If and when it is introduced into British Law I forsee the same competition as there is for car MOT's ie: prices ranging from £25 to £40 or whatever fee is proposed. Hands up those members who can tow their 'van a relatively short distance to a garage or non-caravan workshop to get an MOT type inspection? Or will this proposed test be restricted to caravan workshops only?

IMHO this new Directive is illogical, ill thought out and another financial burden for caravanners and as mentioned another means for HM. Treasury to gather extra revenue.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for any of the three parties who pretend to fight for British interests.

Regards.

Col

I await the first small caravan-style mobile chalet that comes with it's own movement trailer. Regulations circumvented.

Its got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with European law changes.

No European government implements laws not in its "perceived" interest.

The cash strapped UK govt will implement caravan regulation simply for the tax income and the market boost.

Especially after/during the next UK stock market bubble which is due to pop!

The clever dudes have got their hands on our cash pumped into the banks to gamble on the UK stock market bumping up prices based on nothing more than hot air and cheap finance- it will end in tears before bedtime!

Not as yet but the draft called for end of 2017

Thank you. If we say 2017 plus a few of years for implementation, I'll be 70 (ish ) so not sure if I'll still be vanning. A lot of emotional stuff and wind ups in this thread IMHO but at the end of the day, my annual caravanning bill including site fees, fuel, depreciation, slightly less fuel efficient towcar, etc. etc. must be nigh on 5 grand and the additional 50 quid (or so) wouldn't stop me caravanning. ..my old joints might though and I'll blame Europe for that; they not having ensured warmer climates in this green and pleasant. ..wet and windy land of ours. ;):mellow:

This is bad news. :(

If and when it is introduced into British Law I forsee the same competition as there is for car MOT's ie: prices ranging from £25 to £40 or whatever fee is proposed. Hands up those members who can tow their 'van a relatively short distance to a garage or non-caravan workshop to get an MOT type inspection? Or will this proposed test be restricted to caravan workshops only?

IMHO this new Directive is illogical, ill thought out and another financial burden for caravanners and as mentioned another means for HM. Treasury to gather extra revenue.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for any of the three parties who pretend to fight for British interests.

Regards.

Col

I'm afraid it's not an issue of being 'introduced into British Law'. EU Law and Directives ARE British Law. Brussels and Strasbourg make all the rules now but I agree that it is very badly thought out. So many trailer-oriented vehicles are exempt but caravans have been 'picked' on.

I think that in the big picture there will be very few centres that will be able to take caravans and most dealers will not want to be involved because of the hassles associated with doing a MOT on a caravan. In essence the government will have to do the initial investment and operate its own centres and they will need to recoup the money for this outlay. The simplest thing is to tell the EU to take a long walk off a short plank.

Taking into account depreciation, insurance, storage, etc and not cost of fuel and nights away, our caravan over the past 18 months has cost us over £600 per month! By depreciation I have included the difference between the cost of the caravan new and what a dealer would offer us for it today and this is about £10000 less than price brand new.

Yesterday we had to buy another battery as the current one is kaput so when the wife heard about the MOT I think that was the last straw! As it is probably a bit late now, we will consider putting the caravan on the market early next year while it still has a bit of a warranty.

I think that in the big picture there will be very few centres that will be able to take caravans and most dealers will not want to be involved because of the hassles associated with doing a MOT on a caravan. In essence the government will have to do the initial investment and operate its own centres and they will need to recoup the money for this outlay. The simplest thing is to tell the EU to take a long walk off a short plank.

Taking into account depreciation, insurance, storage, etc and not cost of fuel and nights away, our caravan over the past 18 months has cost us over £600 per month! By depreciation I have included the difference between the cost of the caravan new and what a dealer would offer us for it today and this is about £10000 less than price brand new.

Yesterday we had to buy another battery as the current one is kaput so when the wife heard about the MOT I think that was the last straw! As it is probably a bit late now, we will consider putting the caravan on the market early next year while it still has a bit of a warranty.

Are you saying a dealer has written down your van by £10K in 18 months?

That is about it. Obviously we would get a lot more if advertised privately which would reduce the difference by about £4000. new the Delta was £23k. 18 months later about £13k however if trading in a show a lot more. Privately about £16K if you are lucky.

They are as bad as new cars when it comes to depreciation except they bottom out a lot earlier. Our previous caravan a 2004 Lexon 640, was worth about £10,000 in 2010 and if buying the same one today you would be paying £9000. So over almost 3 years only dropped about £1000. :D

Missus is very unhappy at present as she is asking whether it is worth hanging onto the caravan as all she sees is money going out the window plus having to do most of the chores in the caravan. As it is very difficult for me to travel overseas, i. e. fly anywhere and I would need a carer with me, the preference is the caravan for short breaks. :D

Sign in to follow this