Has anyone else experienced this problem. .... when winding down the legs the back plate bends and the corner steady winder cannot be turned as the thread is trapped.

The weight of the caravan seems too much for the legs.

Any ideas, similar problems or remedies, apart from contacting the dealer who at present hasnt returned calls.

The caravan concerened is a 2011 Buccaneer Schooner.

Believe it or not, even though the caravan doesn't suggest it we are simple caravanners, we have no awning and don't carry the rest of the house in our caravan.

Dealer would be only safe answer. can u e-mail him and copy to manufacturer perhaps??

geoff

Caravan legs are only steadies and should only be used for that . They should take minimum weight and using to much force on them will twist the chassis and can cause damage to the sides of the caravan . A caravan should be levelled on the wheels and axle then the legs dropped just to stop it moving .

Dave

Are you trying to lift the van using the Steadies?? They are designed to just steady the corners but not to be used to level the van. They should be just 'tight' and just be trying to lift the corner.

Dave

The weight of the caravan should never be on the "legs". They are not there as legs, they are just to stop the van tipping over.

I know of someone who used to raise their caravan on the legs until one night, loud BANG!. The chassis had snapped.

The weight must always remain on the wheels.

Edited by Father Ted

The weight of the caravan should never be on the "legs". They are not there as legs, they are just to stop the van tipping over.

I know of someone who used to raise their caravan on the legs until one night, loud BANG!. The chassis had snapped.

The weight must always remain on the wheels.

I have seen pictures of a TA on another forum with the side wall creased and buckled from top to bottom by jacking the 2 ends on the legs .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Has anyone else experienced this problem. .... when winding down the legs the back plate bends and the corner steady winder cannot be turned as the thread is trapped.

Any ideas, similar problems or remedies, apart from contacting the dealer who at present hasnt returned calls.

The caravan concerened is a 2011 Buccaneer Schooner.

Believe it or not, even though the caravan doesn't suggest it we are simple caravanners, we have no awning and don't carry the rest of the house in our caravan.

The legs are steadies not jacks as other have said

How to level a caravan

Leave it hitch up

You get it level side to side 1st by useing a plank/wedge under a wheel to get the desired effect

Then unhitch and level front to back with Jockey wheel

Now lower the steadies till there is just a bit of pressure

To much Pressure will result in steady going through the floor

IMO If it was me I would get the leg straightened or replaced yourself . If you try and go through the dealer he will hide behind the BPW warranty (Chassis maker) and they will say that for a leg to bend it has been subject to excessive force and is not covered . Then at a later date if you had any structural problems or water ingress the dealer could say the damage was caused due to the straining on the chassis from the leg problem .

It just how I see it with warranties and dealers .

Dave

Someone on here had a saying for lowering the steadies. .. " Down to the ground and once around"

I always thought that was good advice.

S

Tracey,

I am assuming you are new to this vanning lark :) Apologies if I am wrong, some of the replies you have had are a tad abrupt lol (they have been at this game for years and possibly assume we all should know these things), but read through them and take the relevant bits as they are important.

They are not legs, they are actually steadies. Unscrew to the ground then another slight turn thats it. They for want of a better word balance the van when your walking up and down, stop it tipping.

Good luck and if it needs repair it is not a big job for diy. :D

Someone on here had a saying for lowering the steadies. .. " Down to the ground and once around"

I always thought that was good advice.

S

:goodpost: I agree with that.

My 1st ever flat tyre was changed by jacking with the steady. :rolleyes:

It was an old 1965 van.

Down to ground etc. ..good advice. .......

I had to have a steady replaced last year,I did not realise just how many shapes and sizes there were the advice ' Oh you can get them on e-bay for a fiver' wasn't valid as nobody knew if they would match mine. .........I would still go back to dealer as if there is future problems with water ingress or the like they can't blame you!

geoff

The steadies are rated at 500kg each I believe, so they are reasonably strong. .

The steadies are rated at 500kg each I believe, so they are reasonably strong. .

Unfortunately, I don't think the floor the front ones are fixed to is!

Dave

Hi, as i read your post you are suggesting the main chassis back plate is bending as you raise or lower the spindle ? if thats so i would suggest the two hinge pivots at the top of the stabilising arms are either siezed or been manufactured to tight, seen this problem many times on vans, lubricating or adjusting this hinge point should cure your problem.

•  

Unfortunately, I don't think the floor the front ones are fixed to is!

Dave

according to alko the jockey wheel need not be down, so the two front steadies are obviously capable of supporting the front of the caravan, even using the floor.

according to alko the jockey wheel need not be down, so the two front steadies are obviously capable of supporting the front of the caravan, even using the floor.

Not really.

The chassis takes most of the weight, which should be transmitted to the ground through the wheels. The steadies shouldn't have much weight on them.

But, if you lift the wheels off the floor, the weight is directly on the steadies and worse, it is hanging between them, which is why the chassis breaks.

Are you trying to lift the van using the Steadies?? They are designed to just steady the corners but not to be used to level the van. They should be just 'tight' and just be trying to lift the corner.

Dave

Yes we are!

Caravan legs are only steadies and should only be used for that . They should take minimum weight and using to much force on them will twist the chassis and can cause damage to the sides of the caravan . A caravan should be levelled on the wheels and axle then the legs dropped just to stop it moving .

Dave

So Dave if the ground runs out by say six inches (fall) then how do you level up?

Please read post 8

HTH

• Like 1

How to level a caravan

Leave it hitch up

You get it level side to side 1st by useing a plank/wedge under a wheel to get the desired effect

Then unhitch and level front to back with Jockey wheel

Now lower the steadies till there is just a bit of pressure

To much Pressure will result in steady going through the floor

So how do you guarantee an accurate level caravan with blocks? (Yes we are very new to caravanning)

Yes we are!

So Dave if the ground runs out by say six inches (fall) then how do you level up?

You use wood blocks. Then the steady to close the gap.

EG. A three inch block and wind the steady down 3 inches.

If the van is on a slope as it seems to be it might be necessary to use bigger blocks at one end.

THE WHEELS MUST TAKE THE VANS WEIGHT not the steadies.

Tracey,

I am assuming you are new to this vanning lark :) Apologies if I am wrong, some of the replies you have had are a tad abrupt lol (they have been at this game for years and possibly assume we all should know these things), but read through them and take the relevant bits as they are important.

They are not legs, they are actually steadies. Unscrew to the ground then another slight turn thats it. They for want of a better word balance the van when your walking up and down, stop it tipping.

Good luck and if it needs repair it is not a big job for diy. :D

Yep, very new, I'm thick skinned. It is why I am here to be told.

So, let me get this right, you level with the wheels. For instance if one side of pitch is higher that the other you place a block under the offending side?????? Then lower steadies. What is the best tool for levelling, purpose made levelling ramps/blocks.

Edited by tracey ball

You use wood blocks. Then the steady to close the gap.

EG. A three inch block and wind the steady down 3 inches

So, therefore how do you determine the gradient. Do you carry a multifarious amount of blocks and block accordingly?

Yep, very knew, I'm thick skinned. It is why I am here to be told.

So, let me get this right, you level with the wheels. For instance if one side of pitch is higher that the other you place a block under the offending side?????? Then lower steadies. What is the best tool for levelling, purpose made levelling ramps/blocks.

I meant new

something like this for the wheel

http://www. thecaravanshop. co. uk/milenco-products/levelling-ramps/milenco-trio-level-pair-/prod_620. html

and we use wooden 4inch x 4inch to put steadies on if needed

Yep, got them