If you pay for the elctricity as you use it then it's up to you if you want to pay to heat the world, however if the elctricity is included then its unreasonable to use vast amounts to heat an awning.

to answer the qusetion the a fan heater is probably best

As said, to heat the awning you should expect to pay on top for the priveledge, but a fan heater or oil filled radiator is absolutely the wrong thing to use. Before you feel the benefit, heaters of that type need to first warm the air in the awning which is an impossible job because it changes so quickly and there is no insulation. All you can hope to do is heat up the body masses directly, which requires radiatant heat - any heater which provides a red glow with reflectors to direct the heat will do it. The IR heat warms up any body or mass it strikes, without attempting to warm the air much at all.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

What about a couple of electric blankets, at around 200W each, a bit friendlier on the supply/environment? No idea how effective that'd be. And I'd refrain from trying to cut arm holes in them :-)

Edited by Jacobite

Can't the 14 year old sleep in the awning ? Then you can go into the caravan and chat all night. He can have the electric blanket. ....... ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Guest Rita

Can't the 14 year old sleep in the awning ? Then you can go into the caravan and chat all night. He can have the electric blanket. ....... ;)

Good thinking shirl

. ..............As when I ran 250,000 sq. ft of warehouse space. ........you heat the man not the space, fleeces are cheap and don't have a high safety or on-cost element. ..............

geiff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Please tell me you are joking. Remember, naked flames, running engines like genrators and embers of fires give off odourless, tasteless poisonous carbon monoxide and should never be lit in enclosed spaces - notwithstanding the fire risk.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Perhaps you could argue that if you are on a site that charges for an awning you are paying for the extra electricity. :D

Maybe selfish people heating the awning is the initial reason sites started charging extra for an awning? :ph34r:

Trying to heat an awning is like knitting fog.

Our friends try every time they go away, and when we are together our unheated awning and the 90% of their awning which isn't being heated at the time feel identical. We've actually got a vent out into our awning from the caravan heating but that is probably more use as a hairdryer than trying to heat what equates to a small fabric bungalow.

Put a waterproof backed picnic blanket or two down on the floor where you sit to keep the chill off your tootsies, put an extra large pair of woolly walking socks on, stick a woolly hat on and put a blanket over you.

Whilst it may not be comfortable or stylish, it's what I used to do to warm up in my tent after getting cold on a motorbike. I've always saved my sleeping bag for sleeping.

We always sit in the awning after our son has gone to bed (and we don't whisper, as fortunately he's a heavy sleeper). It's much nicer to go into a warm caravan already warm.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

+1 for that!

Get an inner tent, annex or a cheap small tent from Asda to put inside the awning and put him in that. Then the 14 year gets to go 'camping' and have his own space and you get to enjoy your warm van! Our kids loved sleeping the annex.