Hi,

Looking for some ideas for heating our awning. We have got an Adria Astella Rio Grande with a 2. 5m full awning and want to get some heat into it, at the moment we have a couple of small halogen heaters but these hardly take the edge off the cold. Can anybody recommend a type of electric space heater.

Cheers

Mark

Heating an awning with electric puts the cost of pitches up for all of us unless you are on a metered pitch. Not a good idea if you want to make friends and influence people. :angry:

Why not just go in the caravan? After all, that is insulated and the awning is just thin polyester.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Why not just go in the caravan? After all, that is insulated and the awning is just thin polyester.

I agree. If its cold just sit in the caravan.

Got a fourteen year old with us, so pack him off about 11 then me and the mrs want to chill in the awning and not have to wisper

Guest Rita

Got a fourteen year old with us, so pack him off about 11 then me and the mrs want to chill in the awning and not have to wisper

So no heater then you would be chill :)

Sorry could not resist

Once upon a time you could buy catalytic heaters that were supposed to be very safe but I haven't seen one for donkeys' years.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Wear coats or go to the pub.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

You could always compensate and put the gas heating on in the van and use a 2-3kW fan heater in the awning, but only when you use it. Also, you could partition off the awning so that you only heat the small part you sit in.

Thats why you buy a (slightly) older Bailey (Bretagne S7, Oly or Peggy) with a solid sliding door rather than a flimsy curtain :D

330d with a Challenger following!

Heating an awning with electric puts the cost of pitches up for all of us unless you are on a metered pitch. Not a good idea if you want to make friends and influence people. :angry:

You really think if everyone didn't use a heater to warm their awning or everyone used solar panels pitch fees would be cheaper?? Errr I don't think so. Site owners would find another excuse. Rip off Britain remember

Awning heaters are like patio heaters - you are heating the whole vacinity or at least trying to. It may not affect site prices but a lot of sites are now asking residents to conserve power as more and more people are using the full quota of 16 amps and if every caravan did that then the main supply to the site would have to be upgraded as most sites work on the principle that the average consumption will be around 60% of what is available. If the site power line had to be upgraded then the cost would rise to the residents.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

If two halogen heaters are inadequate anything providing more heat is likely to overload the pitch's EHU supply.

Coleman Black Cat catylitic heater. point heat for short periods

Don't use electricity to heat the great outdoors,

which is what you are doing if you heat the awning

You really think if everyone didn't use a heater to warm their awning or everyone used solar panels pitch fees would be cheaper?? Errr I don't think so. Site owners would find another excuse. Rip off Britain remember

How can it be a rip off they have to pay for it as well.

How about cutting arm and leg holes in arctic sleeping bags. ..... I cannot see the point in trying to heat the whole site. .. By the way that idea is patent pending and I will be putting it forward for dragons den! ;-)

2004 landcruiser LC5 1997 ABI Marauder

They are not all the same. I know a lot of sites that don't charge a fortune. It is the ones that give an all dancing and singing sites for families that charge for the services. Plenty of choice around for cynics!!!! ;)

To install EHU points on a site costs between £20K and £50K depending on site size and this has to be recouped some way.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

We have a parabolic gas heater for when we had the trailer tents. Not something to be left on when awning unoccupied but does provide point heating. BTW when I put it into the old caravan to help dry it out I managed a reading on the Co alarm of 10ppm the only time I got anything above zero, so be careful and ventilate the awning. You could also get a liner for the awning which may help to keep some of the heat inside.

1976 Conway Corsica TT, 2003 Cabanon Galaxy TT, 1990 ABI Jubilee Ambassador, 2006 Coachman Wanderer 18/4 (Amara 530/4 Special)

2003 Ford Maverick Mk3 2004 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 TDi 2007 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 Elegance 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Gx5 2. 3

Kernow Bys Vyken :ph34r:

If you pay for the elctricity as you use it then it's up to you if you want to pay to heat the world, however if the elctricity is included then its unreasonable to use vast amounts to heat an awning.

to answer the qusetion the a fan heater is probably best

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

If you pay for the elctricity as you use it then it's up to you if you want to pay to heat the world, however if the elctricity is included then its unreasonable to use vast amounts to heat an awning.

to answer the qusetion the a fan heater is probably best

Even a 3kWh fan heater would struggle to significantly raise the temperature of 25 cubic metres of cold air.