Sign in to follow this  
Wozerp

First Tow Post Engine Remap

Hi All,

Well, just completed our first tow post engine remap. Got to say it has made a noticeable difference. Had the remap done at the beginning of the month so had some time to ***** it solo. So far without the van, car is more responsive in the lower gears and fuel economy is definitely better, especially in town.

Towing, for the first time ever, I got an average greater than 30 MPG - 31. 8 MPG according to the on-board comp. That's 4. 5 MPG better than my previous best recorded average. I guess this down to being able to use 6th gear whilst towing for the first time. It was too labored before the remap, but with torque up from 398. 6 Nm to 432. 8 Nm it managed fine, only requiring a change down on longer or steeper inclines.

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with the results which appear to be well within the figures quoted, and IMHO to be recommended.

Assume you have notified your Insurer?.........If not you may not be insured.

Interesting figures, did have a look myself but extra premium put me off.

geoff

Assume you have notified your Insurer?.........If not you may not be insured.

Interesting figures, did have a look myself but extra premium put me off.

geoff

Absolutely, Aviva changed me an extra £45 until renewal in November. BHP up from 140 to 170.

Edited by Wozerp

What car was this on?

I have thought of doing this a few times.

The cost for one of my cars is £200-300 but the other one is over £400 (and the car only cost £1k).

EDIT: I see it's in your signature. That didn't show in mobile mode.

Edited by MonkeyMark

Ive got a Remap on the SAAB from 150bhp to 220bhp and 240 on Ethanol.

I reckon it pulls the Swift to 60 mph in about 7 seconds lol

A remap on a Diesel is far more interesting as the torque increase is what we need when towing!!

Get it done you wont regret it.

Edited by Ondaroadagain

Absolutely, Aviva changed me an extra £45 until renewal in November. BHP up from 140 to 170.

Thats not bad at all. ......well done.

geoff

Great effort. Amazing that the manufacturers don't get things right initially. ..

Great effort. Amazing that the manufacturers don't get things right initially. ..

They do. Car manufacturers optimise their engines to give the lowest possible CO2 emissions,the best fuel economy for normal use and what is designed to be the best bhp and torques figures without the vehicle being classed as a 'Sports' model.

For example; a VW Passat can be ordered with a 2. 0 TDI 140 PS engine or a 2. 0 TDI 177 PS engine.

The manual transmission 2. 0 TDI 140 PS is rated at 236/Lbs. ft-320Nm at 1750 rpm

The 177 PS version is rated at 280/Lbs/ft-380Nm at 1750 rpm.

Your money, your choice. Having your existing engine remapped is probably cheaper than replacing your car but manufacturers do give customers a choice.

Regards.

Col

They do. Car manufacturers optimise their engines to give the lowest possible CO2 emissions,the best fuel economy for normal use and what is designed to be the best bhp and torques figures without the vehicle being classed as a 'Sports' model.

For example; a VW Passat can be ordered with a 2. 0 TDI 140 PS engine or a 2. 0 TDI 177 PS engine.

The manual transmission 2. 0 TDI 140 PS is rated at 236/Lbs. ft-320Nm at 1750 rpm

Your money, your choice. Having your existing engine remapped is probably cheaper than replacing your car but manufacturers do give customers a choice.

Regards.

Col

It certainly is cheaper than changing the car + wife would never allow it! Anyway, it appears to be using a noticeable amount less fuel both solo and towing, so that's got to be a good thing. By my reckoning, an increase of 4 MPG per equates to approximately 70 miles more out of each tank of towing mileage, probably more solo.

Guest Benzowner

Regards.

Col

Much more involved than that, the 140PS engine can never be remapped to what the 170PS engine could achieve

Much more involved than that, the 140PS engine can never be remapped to what the 170PS engine could achieve

I agree. :) But I don't recall advocting a remap of the 140PS version?

Regards.

Col

One of the things I was told was that it would actually be better / more responsive than the stock 170 (heard this from a number of sources), this is due to the smaller turbo on the 140 responding / spinning up faster than the larger turbo fitted to the 170. I can't say, as I haven't drive a 170, but I can say that there is less hesitation / lag in the lower gears when pulling away

But it does feel better both solo and with the van, and is definitely using less fuel too. Based on the MPG improvement I have seem, I believe that the remap will pay for itself in the period (2 years) claimed.

Remapping to give more torque puts more strain on the gearbox and clutch which may not be designed to handle the amount of torque produced after remapping

Edited by terve