Sign in to follow this  
pagan

New Caravan

I have just put a deposit down on a new Iunar Ultima extra 640 twin axle. It is due for delivery next month. I just wondered if anybody else had a 640 Lunar and how they found it. This is my first twin axle so it will be a new experience to me. Iam insuring it with the CC as they do not require a tracker fitted like most of the other companies. I am wth Caravan guard with my present van but they will not insure me for the new van because I haven't got a monitored tracker fitted and my caravan is worth more than £20000. I am not prepared to pay £5/600 pounds for a tracker and a yearly fee just to use there insurance hence the Caravan Club.

Pagan. The insurance companies require tracker for a good reason. Just view some of the postings.

The way I see it you are investing 20K in a quality caravan and not willing to protect your investment by an extra 300? I have applied Tracker on all my cars (and commercials) for years and would not even think about not fitting. During our last van outing I had gone 5 miles before I had a call from Tracker to check my caravan was moving with my knowledge. This was a rare situation, but a piece of mind not an intrusion. I hope for your sake you do not find out the hard way, because the next insurance premium will reflect the false economy.

I do not have a tracker fitted to my new van, although i think they are a great tool, and i am considering having one fitted, i am with the CC insurance because i trust them, i have never even had a quote from any other insurance company, its just a peace of mind thing for me.

Stu

Tracker every time. They alert within 30 seconds if it moves. I can check where it is via my computer at any time and also check the battery state which is so useful when in storage. My insurer charges me only about 60% of CC quote which more than compensates for the tracker subscription. Did you check if your dealer does a deal on them when buying a new van? My van came with tracker fitted and 12 months subscription. Must be the best thing ever for caravan security wherever a van is stored at home or in storage. Much better to get a van back that is only 20 miles down the road than one that has been abused and all the personal contents stolen not to mention all the hassle. If you have spent £20k that is a serious amount and to not have a tracker is in my view a mistake. Also remember 'our traveller friends' love twin axles. They are always the first to be stolen.

With regard to my van being stolen the tracker won't stop it being stolen but it means you will get it back quicker. Personally if my van was stolen I don't want it back(complete with any damage done to it when it was stolen) and would much rather have a new van which I would get on my CC policy where I get new for old. I have been caravanning for over 30 yrs and I have never had a tracker anddo not know anybody who has had 1 stolen. I am willing to take the chance.

I've never had one stolen either but I know of 3 stolen one from a friends front drive (a neighbour saw it but didn't realise it was being stolen as it took just over 3 minutes) even though hitchlocked and clamped one from storage and one on site. When I was at a CC site (Alderstead Heath) about 10 years ago thieves removed the site barrier in the night and towed a van away with someone asleep inside. Unbelievable. There is no guarantee that you would get a new replacement van. You would only get one if the stolen one is not fully repairable at an economical cost to the insurance company. This is a very popular misconception you don't choose whether you want it back or not.

I have just put a deposit down on a new Iunar Ultima extra 640 twin axle. It is due for delivery next month. I just wondered if anybody else had a 640 Lunar and how they found it. This is my first twin axle so it will be a new experience to me. Iam insuring it with the CC as they do not require a tracker fitted like most of the other companies. I am wth Caravan guard with my present van but they will not insure me for the new van because I haven't got a monitored tracker fitted and my caravan is worth more than £20000. I am not prepared to pay £5/600 pounds for a tracker and a yearly fee just to use there insurance hence the Caravan Club.

I am a bit mystified by this Lunar Ultima 640 unless you mean the Lunar Lexon 640. Are you sure it is a Lunar because it does not appear on the Lunar website? Will you be investing in the ALKO Secure locks?

Thanks. Seems the Ultima is a dealer special of the Lunar Lexon 640. Nice van and if it were ours, definitely would pay the extra for the ALKO secure locks even if only one is fitted if no tracker fitted.

Hi Pagan,

I have a new Lunar Ultima 640 from Robinsons, great van and the open plan layout is excellent. The rear washroom is fantastic allowing plenty of space for showering and getting changed. Single beds are comfortable being both long and wide. Front lounge appears longer than it actually is, but provides ample room for four to sit and eat.

Only niggles so far is the puddling on the roof, kitchen tap does not extend far enough into the sink (it being only an inch from the edge every time you wash something under the tap water spills all over the work surface . .. very bad design!) and the fridge freezer, which bleeps (indicating that the door has not closed properly) whenever the door lock mechanism is released (should be able to remove this when pitched up for a period of time) . ... will be getting Robinsons to look into these issues!

I also got a mover fitted, enduro twin drive, which obviously not as good as a four wheel drive model but has done what I need it to do and at price of £650 fitted was not too expensive. I also have two Alko wheel locks and the mover helps when fitting these as I use the mover to line up the first wheel, fit the lock, using an al-ko side jack raise the second wheel (mover acts like a brake for the front wheels)and fit the second wheel lock as required by the CC insurance.

Any questions on the Lunar Ultima,640 give me a shout.

HiAJCE I cannot put an Alko jack on mine because of the all wheel drive mover which has 4 movers. I am going to fit 1 Alko wheel lock and 1 wheel clamp, plus the hitchlock. I may get another Alko wheel lock if I can find a way of lifting the other wheel of the ground to position it for the lock. I will ask about the tap issue and the fridge sound I am not too worried about. With regard to the puddling on the roof, what can they do about it?

References the CC insurance the discount for having 2 wheel locks is £40 so if I stay as I am without the second wheel lock it will only cost me £40.

Did you have a tracker fitted ?

We agree with the tap issue. Our new Lunar has the same problem. Not sure if a design fault or if there is something under the worktop that stops it being fixed nearer the bowl edge. If it can't be nearer then they need a longer spout.

We agree with the tap issue. Our new Lunar has the same problem. Not sure if a design fault or if there is something under the worktop that stops it being fixed nearer the bowl edge. If it can't be nearer then they need a longer spout.

I have the answer but will reserve judgement until I've tried it out next week. You want to try and find a 18mm swivel aerator that screws onto the spout - more chance of winning the lottery. I've just got one of these which clamps over the spout http://www. lakeland. co. uk/2495/Tap-Adapta-Black

Once I know it's OK, I'll post a photo :) .

Sounds as though you may have the answer. Look forward to hearing if it's a success. Her indoors will be well chuffed if that's the answer!

Pagan, no tracker fitted. Sounds like a small trolley jack is your only option if you want to fit two alko wheel locks . .. if you search the forum there is a thread that covers this problem for twin axles with 4 wheel drive movers. Like you say dont think much can be done about the puddling.

Pebble, looks like you have the answer to the tap problem, let us know how you get on?

Ours is a 2011 TI however we have no issue with the tap, but we have the old style rectangular type basin which in my opinion is far better than the round one.

The tap thing looks very interesting and we have a lakeland in Lincoln where we live so should be able to pick 1 up if it fits the tap. I have decided not to go jacking up the wheels but maybe get 1 of the 'Nemesis' locks for the other wheel which has an advert in this months CC magazine with a discounted price. I don't have to have 1 because I don't get the discount from the CC Insurance but it is worth it in the circumstances.

The tap thing looks very interesting and we have a lakeland in Lincoln where we live so should be able to pick 1 up if it fits the tap. I have decided not to go jacking up the wheels but maybe get 1 of the 'Nemesis' locks for the other wheel which has an advert in this months CC magazine with a discounted price. I don't have to have 1 because I don't get the discount from the CC Insurance but it is worth it in the circumstances.

The Lakeland Tap Adapta doesn't screw directly onto the spout. Although there's six adaptors in the packet, none of them are a female thread, let alone an 18mm one. They do supply a clamp on thingy which the tap adapta screws onto. I think it looks OK and will certainly direct the water into the bowl. They don't say if the adapta is for low or high pressure domestic systems but I'll be trying it out next Tuesday in earnest.

If I can find a few minutes tonight I'll post a pic of what it looks like.

HTH ;)

The Lakeland Tap Adapta doesn't screw directly onto the spout. Although there's six adaptors in the packet, none of them are a female thread, let alone an 18mm one. They do supply a clamp on thingy which the tap adapta screws onto. I think it looks OK and will certainly direct the water into the bowl. They don't say if the adapta is for low or high pressure domestic systems but I'll be trying it out next Tuesday in earnest.

If I can find a few minutes tonight I'll post a pic of what it looks like.

HTH ;)

Cheers Pebble,will be interested to see it. So it has to be an 18mm female adaptor to fit the tap in the Lunar?

AFAIK, yes it's 18mm but I'll double check it tomorrow.

I spent hours scouring the net, found one or two aerators but only suitable for high pressure domestic systems . Hence the Tap Adapta might just do the job.

we bought a lunar quasar 544 2013 and had the same problem with the tap so we bought an adapta from lakeland, if you push the adaptor onto the tap without removing the tap aerator, you do not need to use the clamp, the adaptor fits on perfectly and you can direct water into bowl with no splashing etc. brilliant item well worth the money. We have had our caravan a couple of months now and love it.

We argued about having one ALKO Secure on the rear and a Sold secure on the from wheel and got the discount from the CC. Towergate also offered the same discount. Jacking up the caravan to fit both is a right pain.

Lakeland Tap Adapta pics.

Lunarmagic is quite correct in saying that the clamp doesn't have to be used. I'll be trying it with and without ;) .

post-58015-0-73454900-1369475940_thumb.jpgpost-58015-0-65426000-1369475950_thumb.jpg

Good photos of the tap will be getting 1 next week. When you say you argued about the locks for the twin axle did you mean the CC insurance agreed to the discount even though they are not 2 alko secure wheel locks? If so I will get back on to them and try for the discount as well.