Towbar Guide (Tool For Making It Easier To Hitch The Caravan) - Help Please!

Mulberry

Hi there

I'm not a caravanner (yet!) so I'm hoping someone here can help me with this question.

Would a tow bar Guide (like the picture of the one attached) be of any use when you're attaching a caravan to a car tow bar?

I'm working for the inventor of a new tool like this one: we thought it would just work for small trailers but I think it would work with caravans too.

Looking at photos of caravans, it's not clear whether the stabiliser makes it easy (already) to attach the caravan to the tow bar, or whether this Guide would actually be of some help. Basically the Guide makes it easy to reverse the car into exactly the correct position for the tow bar to couple with the trailer/caravan.

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks!

Mulberry.

post-61000-0-17445400-1369230818_thumb.jpg

They are allready on the market,it's called a bumper stop.

indoors.

Hi Mulberry. This might well work with a small light trailer but not with a caravan of any substance.

There is actually a rear bumper protection plate that is available from Witter,the come in Black & Stainless but will bend with the slightest touch from a caravan that is being hitched-up.

For one to be effective it would need to be rather more substantial and quite thick and more of a closed 'V' shape but it would then be heavy.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

As indoors says it is already out there, and for what you are talking about is of as much good as a chocolate fireguard for hitching up. The problem is if you are hitching yourself is actually seeing the towball. I can manage to get the van so far back but then am out and in as I take it back those last few inches, normally giving up and using brute force to pull the van onto the towball.

This is not a dress rehearsal.

They are allready on the market,it's called a bumper stop.

indoors.

Hi Indoors and thanks for your reply. I've been searching the web for a bumper stop and can't find what you mean (other than this:http://www. bumperstops. co. uk/uk/standard. html which I don't think is what you mean ). Are you sure that's what it's called? Or do you know who makes them or sells them?

Thanks again

Mulberry.

As indoors says it is already out there, and for what you are talking about is of as much good as a chocolate fireguard for hitching up. The problem is if you are hitching yourself is actually seeing the towball. I can manage to get the van so far back but then am out and in as I take it back those last few inches, normally giving up and using brute force to pull the van onto the towball.

Hi Peter

The inventor says that this is exactly the problem that his tool will solve (having to get in and out of car, using brute force, etc)

He's sure it's very strong and would not bend. It's detachable so would live in the boot. Once the car is close to the correct position, the (strong and wide) arms of the tool will guide it the rest of the way into position.

Do you still think it won't work? Is it because of the weight of the caravan (versus a normal trailer)?

With many thanks,

Mulberry

Edited by Mulberry

You mean this Bumper. .. There are quite a few types of these. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Hi Mulberry. This might well work with a small light trailer but not with a caravan of any substance.

There is actually a rear bumper protection plate that is available from Witter,the come in Black & Stainless but will bend with the slightest touch from a caravan that is being hitched-up.

For one to be effective it would need to be rather more substantial and quite thick and more of a closed 'V' shape but it would then be heavy.

Hi Travelling Rooster and thanks for your reply.

I've looked at the protection plate from Witter and it does appear to just protect the bumper.

Our Guide is designed to actually bounce around the caravan coupling and push it into position over the tow bar ball.

I think I will return with a better photo of our own product to show you what I mean! In the meantime though, it's interesting that there doesn't seem to be anything like this on the market.

I understand however that it will need to be very strong to take the weight of a caravan, versus a lighter trailer.

Thanks again

Mulberry

You mean this Bumper. .. There are quite a few types of these. ..

Hi Jan and Jay

Thanks for your reply.

This one looks just like the one that Witter sell. See my response to Travelling Rooster above.

If you know of any other types that move/guide the caravan into the correct position (rather than just protect the bumper) please do let me know!

Thanks again

Mulberry

No that won't work for removable / swan neck / many other similar design of tow balls on UK vehicles - unless the inventor plans to get the towbar makers to incorporate it into their designs via a licensing system).

It also doesn't look like the ball would have the clearances required for full articulation with the anti-snake hitches made by Alko (and BPW?) that the majority of modern caravans have due to the plate attachment parts. (Go to Alko and look up their extended neck towball info).

Many of us use our motor mover to hitch up easily. My wife's a dab-hand at reversing onto the hitch if I (copying someone I saw once) hold my fist up with the elbow pointing at the hitch, guiding her back.

No that won't work for removable / swan neck / many other similar design of tow balls on UK vehicles - unless the inventor plans to get the towbar makers to incorporate it into their designs via a licensing system).

It also doesn't look like the ball would have the clearances required for full articulation with the anti-snake hitches made by Alko (and BPW?) that the majority of modern caravans have due to the plate attachment parts. (Go to Alko and look up their extended neck towball info).

Many of us use our motor mover to hitch up easily. My wife's a dab-hand at reversing onto the hitch if I (copying someone I saw once) hold my fist up with the elbow pointing at the hitch, guiding her back.

:goodpost: what I was thinking as well . You could also buy a Hitch up cam .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I have just found this guide for flanged towbars, but as said above it would work with ours it looks only for drop in type towballs.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Removable-Towbar-Easy-Coupling-Guide-Bumper-Protector-/281101654687?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4172f6da9f

Many of us use our motor mover to hitch up easily. My wife's a dab-hand at reversing onto the hitch if I (copying someone I saw once) hold my fist up with the elbow pointing at the hitch, guiding her back

Hi Rodders53 and thanks for taking the time to reply.

First of all I think your wife is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to reversing a car to a caravan - with or without your help! So I still believe there's a market for this out there! Also, of course, not everyone has a partner to help them reverse.

I'm going to go back to my inventor and ask him whether it will work with swan neck and detachable tow bars - thanks for pointing that out.

I'll also get him to look at the anti snake hitches from Alko and BPW. Even if it doesn't work with this, I wonder whether a sufficient market would exist with older caravans?

If you have any further thoughts please do let me know!

Mulberry.

Hi Indoors and thanks for your reply. I've been searching the web for a bumper stop and can't find what you mean (other than this:http://www. bumperstops. co. uk/uk/standard. html which I don't think is what you mean ). Are you sure that's what it's called? Or do you know who makes them or sells them?

Thanks again

Mulberry.

Hi Peter

The inventor says that this is exactly the problem that his tool will solve (having to get in and out of car, using brute force, etc)

He's sure it's very strong and would not bend. It's detachable so would live in the boot. Once the car is close to the correct position, the (strong and wide) arms of the tool will guide it the rest of the way into position.

Do you still think it won't work? Is it because of the weight of the caravan (versus a normal trailer)?

With many thanks,

Mulberry

You would still have to judge the height of the towball/hitch. I honestly think it is a no goer, even for a trailer. Now a reversing camera. ........................... Though even with that you have to judge the correct height for them both. I normally have the hitch low, back the van up as far as I think it should go, then lift the hitch and pull forward onto the towball.

you could send me one free of charge and i will test it out for you . :)

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Errr They are already there to some degree as said and I think Rodders53 s wife uses the mover to offer the van to the car.

I have just found this guide for flanged towbars, but as said above it would work with ours it looks only for drop in type towballs.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Removable-Towbar-Easy-Coupling-Guide-Bumper-Protector-/281101654687?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4172f6da9f

Thanks for this Ldsundance. I hadn't spotted this one.

I wonder what proportion of cars these days have the regular flange tow bars (that this would work for) rather than swan necked or detachable ones etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mulberry

Hi to you all out there. Further to my post#3. The best aid that I have when hitching up (often on my own) is a 1. 8mtr garden cane. This is pushed into soft ground immediately in-front of the hitch-head. Using the central head rest as a rearward line of sight I reverse back until the cane is reached and just flexes.

If I am on hard ground it goes into a 6" length of 2"x1" slipper and serves the same function.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi to you all out there. Further to my post#3. The best aid that I have when hitching up (often on my own) is a 1. 8mtr garden cane. This is pushed into soft ground immediately in-front of the hitch-head. Using the central head rest as a rearward line of sight I reverse back until the cane is reached and just flexes.

If I am on hard ground it goes into a 6" length of 2"x1" slipper and serves the same function.

:goodpost: Best idea yet if on own, apart from the mover of course, but until my body strength goes I will not be buying one of those.

First of all I think your wife is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to reversing a car to a caravan

How patronising!

Hi Mulberry. Further to my previous posts. The issue with the caravan & the respective weight could possibly be overcome by leaving the jockey wheel in the side to side position as opposed to the normal front to back position.

The greatest difficulty in getting any side to side movement is with a twin axle (4 wheels making contact as opposed to only two on a single axle).

My reversing aid (when it isn't worth engaging the mover) is to use two magnetic collapsible sticks. One on the towball, the other on the hitch. Simply reverse until the two are adjacent to each other.

post-261-0-57709800-1369236581_thumb.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If the caravan handbrake was on I doubt that there would be sufficient leeway for hitch to guide itself over the tow ball.

I honestly think you are on a hiding to nothing with this idea. There are so many different types of hitches and balls combinations that it is a loser before you start. Sorry to be so negative but the simple home made devices already described are the tried and tested way to go. ....Peter :unsure:

How patronising!

She is a saleswoman, this would really be regarded as spam on other forums, she is being patronising to everybody, does not want to listen that her idea is as much good as tits on a bull. Being polite but yes patronising.

Hi all,

I'll be off this naughty step by 2020 if this goes on. Twice today my posts have gone against the grain and everyone else thereafter seems to agree with me. I did advise Admin yonks ago regards newbies coming on to promote their whares and this got me where I am today, and it's cold on my B-M !!!

Happy caravanning.

indoors.

Hi all,

I'll be off this naughty step by 2020 if this goes on. Twice today my posts have gone against the grain and everyone else thereafter seems to agree with me. I did advise Admin yonks ago regards newbies coming on to promote their whares and this got me where I am today, and it's cold on my B-M !!!

Happy caravanning.

indoors.

:goodpost: I agree with you on that one Ray, However I fear it is doomed from the start anyway. ...Peter