Sign in to follow this  
BradleyWiggins

2013 Grp Underfloor

Just been reading through the Elddis open evening thread and notice that like the SoLiD brochure much is made of the GRP skin that is designed to prevent water ingress to the floor.

This sounds all well and good but have a look at the underside of a 2013 Elddis and there are many holes cut in the floor for pipework, venting etc and none of them appear to have sealed edges just bare ply exposed to the elements. It seems plain daft to bother with a GRP layer to then leave the holes unsealed in this way. This was bought home to me when I had to remove the table leg mount on my 564 and the was amazed to be able to see the ground beneath the caravan and the bare edges of the hole that was drilled of about 3 inches diameter with the layers of the ply able to soak up water from road spray long grass etc. I would have thought a coat of under-seal or some such would be the bare minimum?

The lower underfloor is marine grade plywood and needs no treatment.

Its the same with Bailey, but with out the GRP covering, instead its the usual black coat.

To be honest I don't see the point in the GRP coat, as I have never had exterior rot on a caravan floor.

While wood can breath it will always absorb moisture naturally, cover it up and should water get in it will rot.

The lower underfloor is marine grade plywood and needs no treatment.

Unless Elddis stated they used Marine grade plywood or even better Aircraft grade plywood, it is highly unlikely to have been used in the construction of their caravan floors.

Both the above use tropical hardwoods as their veneers and are heat and pressure glued together using a WBP glue, (Water and Boil Proof) glue.

Both products are around five to six times more expensive than conventional plywood and would be cost prohibitive.

It is more likely that they would have used structural plywood. Which while being strong and costing twice that of normal ply it is not waterproof hence the need for a GRP layer for protection.

Why not ask Elddis for their rationale and what they used?

I can assure you that exterior rot does occur on caravan floors, take a look at my thread under the Elddis header

Oh Dear, Not What I Wanted To Hear About My Elddis Odyssey

My unit has water damage on both sides at the rear and is in need of a new piece of flooring that will extend from one side to the other. There is no damp at all inside the van and this damage has been caused by water simply travelling down the rear corners and tracking underneath into the corner areas. Poor design, inferior quality marine or exterior ply? I don’t know but along with the other problem it’s going to cost someone over £1300 to fix

This was my worry last night when I posted the question to Elddis. I ( wrongly ?? ) assumed from their reply that the GRP sheet was fully sealed. I can't help thinking if the ply gets wet, road spray on the pipe cut outs etc. , that the GPR will inhibit the natural drying process of the ply. :unsure:

If GRP is used as a protective layer then it has be sealed all around what ever its protecting so that nowt gets in. My daughter has a horse box and it has a wooden floor but that is fully treated and sealed with an epoxy coating so this is the sort of thing that I expected at least the exposed wood to be treated with (the horse box floor needs to be protected from large amounts of horse effluent) Apparently not and I now have a floor that is needing some serious attention.

Any wood over time and the wrong conditions will rot but its minimising that risk that is the trick. It seems to me that when buying a caravan you need to take along a crawler and spend time underneath poking and prodding to see if its sound.

The floor of a caravan will not rot under normal circumstances i. e. when it gets wet from road spray. This will disperse quickly in the open air when the weather improves. For water running down channels in the corner of the van and settling on the floor section this will be more sustained and will not dry out quickly so will rot. In 32 years of camping I have never seen a floor rot and one of the early vans had a solid plywood floor.