Sign in to follow this  
TimDev

Ask Elddis About Solid Construction

Thanks David,

Your answer makes perfect sense, so I thank you and the rest of the Elddis team for taking the time to help your customers, both present and future.

You deserve respect for facing up to us on the forum.

Well done,

Campervan

Thanks Campervan

We appreciate your comments, and the opportunity to talk with you directly through Caravantalk.

Regards

David

Thanks for the reply on my last post, very good answers, just another quick question if possible though :) - Does 'Solid' allow for a solar panel entry point and roof bonding? - Would this invalidate a warranty? - Do you have a factory option of a solar power roof entry point?

Solar is becoming increasingly popular and most manufacturers seem to be largely ignoring it IMHO.

Is the GRP sheet bonded to the underside of the floor? I'm slightly worried that should any water penetrate between the GRP sheet and the wood it would not be able to dry out.

Hi chrisbee,

Thanks for an easy one to answer!

The GRP sheet is bonded to the underside of the floor; we were the first UK to introduce this design. The GRP is treated at the suppliers to give it an extremely high bonding surface; therefore there is no wood to dry out. We have had no problems with this process; it’s been very successful since its launch.

Regards,

Alan

Hi, Do you offer any models with a roof mounted Solar panel either as standard or as an option?

If not can one be fitted and the 10 year water ingress warranty still be valid?

Is there any way I/we/the public can take part in helping out with early stages in the design/layout stages?

There's some 'vans these days (and I'm not talking about one specific manufacturer) - ALL manufacturers to me have some really daft design niggles that just could have done with thinking through a little better.

I'd happily give my input FOC in layout plans / ideas.

David (wannabe caravan designer!)

Hi David

Our next live event on Caravan Talk on Monday 24 June is all about future product development ideas

We would love it if you could join us then

Regards

ROB

Hi, Do you offer any models with a roof mounted Solar panel either as standard or as an option?

If not can one be fitted and the 10 year water ingress warranty still be valid?

Alansl

At present we do not offer this but watch this space who knows what we might do next.

We would only accept the warranty being maintained if this was fitted by an Elddis approved Retailer of service center with our approval.

Regards

David

Hi David W, http://www. fiammastore. com//lg_images/Fiamma_Caravanstore_Caravan_Awning_Canopy%5B19%5D. jpg This is the type. A caravanstore is a roll out canopy. Over the years there has been debate over this type of canopy putting too much stress on the awning rail. On a previous 2001 van we had one on for about 5years without problems, but I have not used this on my later vans for fear of problems.

One quick one before the end, on this site we have had debate over towing a Solid van with a 4x4 pickup can you say if this is okay or not. Thanks again.

We have an Affinity 540 used for 2 weeks so far apart from a problem with the tv aerial we are very pleased with the Van. My question about Solid construction is, does the method used to bond the front and rear sections to the roof and walls differ from side wall to roof fixing.

Enjoying reading the posts and your replies, please do it again.

Regards,

Penman

PS please give your Customers a choice if you go down the front skylight route, its not for us.

Hi David W, http://www. fiammastore. com//lg_images/Fiamma_Caravanstore_Caravan_Awning_Canopy%5B19%5D. jpg This is the type. A caravanstore is a roll out canopy. Over the years there has been debate over this type of canopy putting too much stress on the awning rail. On a previous 2001 van we had one on for about 5years without problems, but I have not used this on my later vans for fear of problems.

Hi Paul

We're confident that our adhesives and awning rail will cope with the stresses - we undertook a specific test to this effect. However, we don't recommend you travel with the awning attached - they can flap about and cause denting and damage to the aluminium sides.

Regards

David

Hi chrisbee,

Thanks for an easy one to answer!

The GRP sheet is bonded to the underside of the floor; we were the first UK to introduce this design. The GRP is treated at the suppliers to give it an extremely high bonding surface; therefore there is no wood to dry out. We have had no problems with this process; it’s been very successful since its launch.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the reassurance, I pick up my new Avante 624 on Saturday.

10 MINUTE WARNING! We'll aim to answer every question that comes in by 8pm. Then it's our bedtime and we have to go home!

Thanks for the reply on my last post, very good answers, just another quick question if possible though :) - Does 'Solid' allow for a solar panel entry point and roof bonding? - Would this invalidate a warranty? - Do you have a factory option of a solar power roof entry point?

Solar is becoming increasingly popular and most manufacturers seem to be largely ignoring it IMHO.

Hi Dreadly,

We would only accept the warranty being maintained if this was fitted by an Elddis approved retailer or service centre with our prior approval. We do not have a factory option at the moment, but we realise that solar panels are becoming very popular and we are continually looking at ways to improve our products. Watch this space!

Ta

Ross

Hello Elddis. . As you my gather from my forum name that I'm a franchisee of the caravan medic, I'm also an Approved Workshop. Will your company be allow me to work on your caravans without affecting the customers warranty? Are you able to offer any training to help us with future repairs?

Regards,

Martin, thecaravanmedicswindon

We have an Affinity 540 used for 2 weeks so far apart from a problem with the tv aerial we are very pleased with the Van. My question about Solid construction is, does the method used to bond the front and rear sections to the roof and walls differ from side wall to roof fixing.

Enjoying reading the posts and your replies, please do it again.

Regards,

Penman

PS please give your Customers a choice if you go down the front skylight route, its not for us.

Hi Penman

We bond the front and rear panels using a different adhesive compared to that used to bond the walls to the floor and roof. This ensures the most appropriate applicable joint and adhesive.

Regards

David

P. S. We agree with giving customer choice is paramount. We will continue in endeavouring to give as broad a choice as possible.

Edited by Elddis David

Thanks for the reassurance, I pick up my new Avante 624 on Saturday.

No problem chrisbee,

Hope you enjoy many happy years’ camping in your Avante 624.

I’m glad you took part in this evening’s forum; we’ve all found it very useful and rewarding.

Regards,

Alan

Just returned home from work and missed most of the discussions, but have to say its good to see a manufacture participate in this type of open discussion,

Well done Explorer Group and CT !

G40

Thanks All at Elddis, inc. the CT 'Lads' look forward to the next one.

Dave

Hello Elddis. . As you my gather from my forum name that I'm a franchisee of the caravan medic, I'm also an Approved Workshop. Will your company be allow me to work on your caravans without affecting the customers warranty? Are you able to offer any training to help us with future repairs?

Regards,

Martin, thecaravanmedicswindon

Martin

With reference to your question to enable you to repair a SoLiD construction caravan you will need to be an Elddis approved workshop which can be achieved by applying to our Customer Services Department. Once approval has been granted you would be invited to one of our SoLiD training days. Servicing of SoLiD caravans can be undertaken by any Elddis approved Retailer / Service Centre or NCC approved Service Centre.

Regards

David W

Thanks All at Elddis, inc. the CT 'Lads' look forward to the next one.

Dave

We are too, Dave. It's been good fun hasn't it - and hopefully helpful for everyone who has taken part. Thanks again to everyone - couldn't do it without your varied and interesting questions!

Just returned home from work and missed most of the discussions, but have to say its good to see a manufacture participate in this type of open discussion,
Well done Explorer Group and CT !
G40

Hi Gaz40

Sorry to hear you have missed today's interaction, although this is the first of many sessions. Hopefully you can join us in the future.

Regards

Gary

Unfortunately, it’s time to sign off now after a very interesting and enjoyable couple of hours – and your questions and responses, as always, have given us much food for thought

We value the views of both our existing as well as potential customers and believe that this type of forum will prove to be a real help to us as we continually try to develop products which satisfy your needs

Sorry, if you feel that we didn’t get round to your question, or still haven’t answered it to the extent which you would like – so if you PM us with any further queries we will get back to you as soon as we can

Our next live forum is at the same time on Monday 24 June 2013 – we hope to speak with you then

Thank you and Good evening

ROB

A massive thank you to everyone who was involved last night!

We've now moved the thread into the SoLiD Construction forum and have opened it up for continued discussion.

Please bear in mind that the Ask the Expert evening has now concluded, so Elddis may not be able to get back to you right away.

What did you think of the evening? Are you looking forward to the next one on Monday 24th June from 6pm to 8pm?

Unfortunately I was held up at work so wasn't able to join in last night but reading the thread it looks like the interaction was excellent.

It was this type of interaction from Elddis that helped us make our decision to buy a new SoLid van at The Lawns last September, they were very happy to engage with customers then and to face the public on a forum such as this only goes to enhance my belief that Elddis genuinely believe they have got it right with SoLiD, I am exceptionally pleased with the van along with Elddis' continued customer service and interaction.

I am looking forward to the next evening on 24th June when hopefully I can join in!

Well done and thank you to CT and Elddis.

Davros