Sign in to follow this  
TimDev

Ask Elddis About Solid Construction

Hello Rachel,

As I believe you are more involved in marketing than design, have you found that the dealerships have been generally receptive to this new bonding process? Also, what kind of feedback have you received at the caravan shows?

Pinocchio

Hi Pinocchio, a question for me at last!

When we launched SoLiD last July obviously it was a big step into the unknown for our dealers. They trusted us, liked what they saw and we hope one year on that decision has been the best they've made, with our claims now tried and tested.

The feedback from Retailers and direct from Customers (we get a lot) is that SoLiD is what the industry needs and it's the way forward. It's great from a marketing point of view to have caravans and motorhomes that have such a unique selling point - and the good looks to go with it. ;)

All the best,

Rachel

As a very happy Bailey Unicorn owner, I congratulate you on the look of the new vans. We were at Bladon Chains CC Site last week and one of your vans looked stunning there.

Dave

As a very happy Bailey Unicorn owner, I congratulate you on the look of the new vans. We were at Bladon Chains CC Site last week and one of your vans looked stunning there.

Dave

Thanks for your kind comments Dave

It is nice to hear that you like what we have done

Maybe when you are ready to change - you will pay us a visit . We would love to see you

Cheers

ROB

Hi To you Elddis guys,

I am one of the early adopters of the SoLiD construction, my wife and I attended the first public day at the Lawns last October. We were so impressed with the video's and press releases of the SoLiD, we ordered an Avante 574 from our local Elddis dealer while at the show.

I would like to compliment your marketing people, they did not use any stupid stunts, like parking a car and 10 men on the roof. The honesty of Elddis showing how the SoLiD system works and is put together is a real eye opener indded.

Keep up the good work, continue to innovate and importantly don't let your laurels slip down over your eyes!!

A very happy SoLiD owning couple,

David & Linda

Hi, firstly I would like to ask if there are structural reasons with the new construction technology that prevent a triple bunk family layout or just market forces?

Secondly I would like to ask if and where in the construction of 'Solid' you use real or processed wood products? Or do you use plastic wood substitute similar to Alutech construction methods?

Many thanks.

Hi To you Elddis guys,

I am one of the early adopters of the SoLiD construction, my wife and I attended the first public day at the Lawns last October. We were so impressed with the video's and press releases of the SoLiD, we ordered an Avante 574 from our local Elddis dealer while at the show.

I would like to compliment your marketing people, they did not use any stupid stunts, like parking a car and 10 men on the roof. The honesty of Elddis showing how the SoLiD system works and is put together is a real eye opener indded.

Keep up the good work, continue to innovate and importantly don't let your laurels slip down over your eyes!!

A very happy SoLiD owning couple,

David & Linda

Hi Linda & David

I am pleased you liked our marketing - We are trying to get a serious, but very simple message across - and we just wanted to communicate that message to as many people as possible

We hope that the use of videos starring our own staff came across as authentic

Regards

ROB

Maybe when you are ready to change - you will pay us a visit . We would love to see you

Cheers

ROB

I am very impressed with you joining this initiative. Too often manufacturers hide away. These Forums are an ideal vehicle for communication, but a plea, the more open you are if there are problems the more respected you will be. Don't be put off by the bashers there will always be.

Thanks, and I hope other manufacturers will follow you.

Dave

Hi Pinocchio, a question for me at last!

When we launched SoLiD last July obviously it was a big step into the unknown for our dealers. They trusted us, liked what they saw and we hope one year on that decision has been the best they've made, with our claims now tried and tested.

The feedback from Retailers and direct from Customers (we get a lot) is that SoLiD is what the industry needs and it's the way forward. It's great from a marketing point of view to have caravans and motorhomes that have such a unique selling point - and the good looks to go with it. ;)

All the best,

Rachel

Thanks Rachel,

It's good to hear such good feedback when we often hear so many negaitive comments on the forums. But I guess most people are only moved to post when they have a problem.

Keep up the good work.

Pinocchio

love the idea of solid hopefully my next van will be one of these, just got to save my pennies and dream, until then I will stick with my lovely Odyssey, good to see you Elddis guys speaking directly to caravanners well done to you

love the idea of solid hopefully my next van will be one of these, just got to save my pennies and dream, until then I will stick with my lovely Odyssey, good to see you Elddis guys speaking directly to caravanners well done to you

Kat Girl

Thanks for the kind comments, Elddis have been using this forum since 2008 and hope our participation has been useful not only to our own customers but all caravanners.

regards

David W

I am very impressed with you joining this initiative. Too often manufacturers hide away. These Forums are an ideal vehicle for communication, but a plea, the more open you are if there are problems the more respected you will be. Don't be put off by the bashers there will always be.

Thanks, and I hope other manufacturers will follow you.

Dave

Hi Dave

I agree with you

However, as this was the first session of this type - we had to agree some rules and decided with Caravan Talk that the best approach was to stick to one topic in each such event

This is the first in a series of web events and we will allow our customers to choose the topics in the future ( when we have a bit more practice ! - It's a bit mad in here at the moment )

Hope to see you again on the 24 June when we will talk about product development in general

Regards

ROB

Hi, firstly I would like to ask if there are structural reasons with the new construction technology that prevent a triple bunk family layout or just market forces?

Secondly I would like to ask if and where in the construction of 'Solid' you use real or processed wood products? Or do you use plastic wood substitute similar to Alutech construction methods?

Many thanks.

Hi Dreadly,

There are no structural reasons for the lack of triple beds in this years layouts - it is just purely down to what customers are asking for.

Wood is still the best material for the job. It is strong, green, provides good insulation and it bonds very well.

Wood has been maintained in the overall construction as it is easy to bond to and does not require any complex surface treatments which other possible alternative materials may.

Unlike other caravan/motorhome manufacturers, we don’t ‘manage’ or ‘channel’ water ingress. Just one of the many major benefits of SoLiD Construction is that there is NO point of entry for water to get in.

Ta

Ross

Hi to the Elddis Team. Being that the whole of your construction methodology is going in one direction albeit the range of materials that are being bonded are by necessity - different and each having a different expansion & contraction rate/value.

How do you see the one constant among the whole of the SoLiD construction,the adhesive;reacting in relation to each of the different materials and their varying rates of movement/expansion & contraction?

Hi Elddis, I am the owner of a Hymer caravan and I believe they were the first to use adhesives to put their caravans together and are still doing so. Is the adhesive you are using of a similar type to Hymer? Can you say that your caravans will be as enduring as Hymer too? We are all waiting for a British manufacturer to produce something that will rival the German build. Peterjohn

Hi Linda & David

I am pleased you liked our marketing - We are trying to get a serious, but very simple message across - and we just wanted to communicate that message to as many people as possible

We hope that the use of videos starring our own staff came across as authentic

Regards

ROB

Elddis Rob,

Using your own staff was indeed authentic, but the true star of the video's is the SoLiD caravans!! :)

David

Thanks Rachel,

It's good to hear such good feedback when we often hear so many negaitive comments on the forums. But I guess most people are only moved to post when they have a problem.

Keep up the good work.

Pinocchio

Hi Pinocchio, we will always try to answer customers questions and address any concerns. The forum is a natural place for these to be raised - although we'd always encourage Customers to come through our Customer Service team! There has also been a lot of support for Elddis on this forum, on our website, Twitter and Facebook - creating a balanced picture overall.

Many thanks, Rachel

probably a silly question, but does the 10 year water ingress warranty transfer to a new owner if the van is sold. .....assuming the previous owner has had the van serviced fully

Cheers

ROB

Thanks, unfortunately, no Dealers near me in South Wales, any plans??

Dave

We have just took delivery this weekend a new Bailey unicorn and love it . When we were looking at the new caravan ranges on show at Raymond James caravans we did look at and liked the new affinity with the new SoLiD method but we also liked the large front window (personal choice i know) in the Bailey and Swift caravans. Is this something you may look at putting in your new caravans in the future.

CHEERS DAZKIM

I will be looking seriously as one of your caravans when I change mine for two particular reasons.

Firstly I'm sure you have "got it right! with the construction method and secondly because you offer mounting points on the rear of the 'van for a cycle rack.

As a matter of interest are the fixing points designed to accommodate a particular cycle rack and what weight would you say can be safely carried not to stress the caravan panel. (Incidently do you bond wood inside the end panel into which fixings may be made or do you use a different technique.

As others have said it's really good to see you here. Thank you for giving the Forum your time.

Hi Pinocchio, we will always try to answer customers questions and address any concerns. The forum is a natural place for these to be raised - although we'd always encourage Customers to come through our Customer Service team! There has also been a lot of support for Elddis on this forum, on our website, Twitter and Facebook - creating a balanced picture overall.

Many thanks, Rachel

Thanks Rachel.

probably a silly question, but does the 10 year water ingress warranty transfer to a new owner if the van is sold. .....assuming the previous owner has had the van serviced fully

The 10 year water ingress warranty only applies to the first owner ( in common with other manufacturers )

For full details ( t&c's ) can be found via the following link

http://www. elddis. co. uk/my-elddis/help-advice/warranty

Hi to the Elddis Team. Being that the whole of your construction methodology is going in one direction albeit the range of materials that are being bonded are by necessity - different and each having a different expansion & contraction rate/value.

How do you see the one constant among the whole of the SoLiD construction,the adhesive;reacting in relation to each of the different materials and their varying rates of movement/expansion & contraction?

Hi TravellingRooster

To be effective the adhesive must have some elasticity, if it didn't have this property then it would be too rigid and cause problems, including the expansion challenges you identified.

Our test vehicles were put through the rigours of MIRA's environmental test chambers. First we froze the vans down to -15 degrees C and then heated to +40 degrees C. In addition we used high intensity UV lamps to "cook" the sides. This MIRA facility is used to test extremes for military vehicles - we were sharing the space with a tank and an armoured personnel carrier. Given our products survived this test we're confident that expansion and contraction will never cause a problem.

Regards

David

Thanks, unfortunately, no Dealers near me in South Wales, any plans??

Dave

Hi Dave, we have Three As in Carmarthen. You can find your nearest retailers here: http://www. elddis. co. uk/my-elddis/find-a-retailer It's one of the many handy functions we have on our website, including 'Get the Best Deal', virtual tours, Customer reviews etc. Let us know if we can help you find your perfect Elddis model!

Many thanks

Rachel