Sign in to follow this  
alistairr

Solid Residue On Paintwork

We have just taken delivery of our new Affinity 530. Absolutely over the moon with it apart from a couple of cabinetry niggles and wonky TV bracket. The Alde heating is the business and I got my factory fitted front spotlights too! :)

What I have noticed though is that around all the doors, windows lockers and awning rail is a residue that appears to have been left behind after sealing. It looks like excess sealant has been wiped off but left residue on the paintwork. On the plus side the residue is pure white and is more sealant-like with a rubbery feel to it rather than the old mastic stuff. I have tried washing it off with shampoo but it does not budge. I did a test run on a small area with WD40 which seems to have moved it fairly easily. Is the WD40 safe to use to remove it all, or are there better or safer alternatives?

Thanks.

If its convenient I would take it back to the dealer, or give the dealer a ring and ask him what they would use to remove it.

The last thing you want to do is cause a reaction and stain the paintwork?

Perhaps it may be a question to ask on the Elddis SoLiD open forum thingy tomorrow??

Sadly more common than you'd imagine.

If it's what we've been seeing lately, it looks like the manufactures seal the sides, then use a cloth soaked in something like a panel wipe to clean off the excess. This leaves a thick smear all over the sides thats visible in the sun. It's a nightmare to remove! I cannot comment on the use of WD40 as it's not something we use.

You hit the nail smack on the head Tourershine!! That is a perfect description of what I have. Come to Leeds, you may be just the guy I need! ;)

Guest Beagler

I don't know if WD40 is ok to use for your purpose but I heard after being an avid advocate and using it for many years, that it can react badly with some plastics so I now use GT85.

I would be interested in others view and if there is any credence to what I have heard.

Perhaps it may be a question to ask on the Elddis SoLiD open forum thingy tomorrow??

Absolutely!

And by way of timely reminder. ..the first ever Ask The Expert Evening with Elddis will be kicking off in just over 5 hours time :lol:

The Elddis team will be on the forum from 6-8pm today answering your questions on SoLiD Construction. It doesn't matter if you're an Elddis owner or if you'd just like to know more about it. ..we'd love you to join us for the discussion.

The thread is now live, and we'll be unlocking it at 5. 55-ish this evening so you can get your first questions in just before 6pm.

Can't wait to hear from you all later; see you there! :)

As with all solvents you should not spray on but use a cloth with a very small amount of liquid on.

That way you avoid the risk of it getting anywhere but the bit you are cleaning. If WD40 does the job then if you take your time it should be safe. Wipe with a clean dry cloth as soon as the part you worked on is clear. I also think you may find it necessary to go over a second time when the surface dries completely.

If you use to much fluid and it runs then you will expose the joints to damage

Old Masters are cleaned with ionised water and a cotton bud. ;) They take ages to clean.

It may turn out someone comes along with a better or safer solvent.

Soudal Fixall has its own solvent to remove excess so the sealant used on your van may have a similar solvent remover.

It would be nice to know what sealant is used in the construction. Let's hope the 'Experts' can tell us. ;)

woohoo! Paul from Tourershine to the rescue this Thursday.

As luck would have it, Paul is in my area this week so I have taken the opportunity to go for the full treatment. Well pleased.

I am also well please in that on coming home from work today I received a pm from Elddis concerning the residue matter. Excellent, well done them for wanting to follow up on the issue. They have asked for some photos of the problem which I hope to supply, but a big well done to Elddis for picking up on the thread. It just shows that they do monitor and take an interest on what happens here.

woohoo! Paul from Tourershine to the rescue this Thursday.

As luck would have it, Paul is in my area this week so I have taken the opportunity to go for the full treatment. Well pleased.

I am also well please in that on coming home from work today I received a pm from Elddis concerning the residue matter. Excellent, well done them for wanting to follow up on the issue. They have asked for some photos of the problem which I hope to supply, but a big well done to Elddis for picking up on the thread. It just shows that they do monitor and take an interest on what happens here.

You can ask Elddis about this LIVE on Caravan Talk right now!

As with all solvents you should not spray on but use a cloth with a very small amount of liquid on.

That way you avoid the risk of it getting anywhere but the bit you are cleaning. If WD40 does the job then if you take your time it should be safe. Wipe with a clean dry cloth as soon as the part you worked on is clear. I also think you may find it necessary to go over a second time when the surface dries completely.

If you use to much fluid and it runs then you will expose the joints to damage

Old Masters are cleaned with ionised water and a cotton bud. ;) They take ages to clean.

It may turn out someone comes along with a better or safer solvent.

Soudal Fixall has its own solvent to remove excess so the sealant used on your van may have a similar solvent remover.

It would be nice to know what sealant is used in the construction. Let's hope the 'Experts' can tell us. ;)

I know this is an old posting now, but couldn't resist correcting. My pre-retirement carreer was spent restoring paintings of all types and if de-ionized water was effective on 'Old Masters' I would have been a very happy bunny. Almost every painting requires a different combination of chemicals, one of which is one of the 'T's' in TNT!