Lunar Clubman Se 2013

Disco_Dave

We are considering changing to a Lunar Clubman SE. Anyone any comments to make on this 'van please? Any advice would be welcome.

Hi Dave,

We picked up our 2013 Clubman SE earlier in the year. So far we've only been away 3 times in it, but we'll be putting that right very soon, starting this weekend. .......

So far, the things we like include:

• the fixed bed - very comfortable
  • the amount of storage - huge
  • the end bathroom - the shower is particularly spacious
  • the amount of light there is inside - both natural & electrical.
  • Alde heating system - great on & off EHU

Areas where we aren't so happy:

• the external water pump - previous Swift had a great internal pump with much better water pressure. Also, the pressure switch seems very sensitive - still tweaking it.
  • nose weight seems very heavy compared to our previous 2 berth Swift - we're having to be very careful how we load to get it down to 80Kg.
  • the Dometic toilet has a few quirks
    • The filler cap for the waste tank does not have the measuring marks for the blue fluid, which the equivalent Thetford has
    • The filler cap for the flush water is recessed into the body work, so you need to have a long spouted watering can or hose pipe to fill it. Also, if you want to use pink in the flush tank, you have to put it in the watering can, as the pink bottles won't reach in due to the shape of the recessed filler.

Bottom line question is would we buy it again. ........?

Answer - yes, in a heartbeat - we love it !!!!

Cheers,

Jim

It seems the Truma Ultraflow external pumps are problematic as we are now on our 3rd pump in 18 months. It creates all sorts of weird problems even though it is working. Wise to carry a spare in the caravan.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Off topic (sorry) - Surf, could we do away with Ultraflow and fit an internal pump instead?

Really don't fancy having to but a spare Ultraflow.

Off topic (sorry) - Surf, could we do away with Ultraflow and fit an internal pump instead?

Really don't fancy having to but a spare Ultraflow.

TBH I am not sure. I wanted to keep the old faulty one and replace the pump part with a Reich pump as we did this with a previous caravan and the pump lasted years. Unfortunately the faulty one had to be returned to Lunar under warranty. The Reich pump costs about £12. 00.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Thanks for your comments Jim, very helpful. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

The nose weight in the online manual states 100 kg, does your car only take 80 kg?

I didn't realise the toilet filler cap did not have measures on it, not very helpful. I did notice the toilet fresh water tank filler was recessed, but I use a plastic watering can for filling, so shouldn't cause a problem.

Looks like I shall have to put the pink stuff in the can because her indoors said I coundn't use the measuring jug from the kitchen. LOL.

Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow to see what sort of deal he can conjure up. :rolleyes:

Talking about the Truma Ultraflow external pumps I have had one on a Coachman VIP for over three years with no problems, at least something worked right.

For filling the "pink" tank, I use a push on adaptor to the washroom basin and a length of hose out of the washroom window into the tank ;).

Reich quote a flow rate and pressure for their submersible pumps, Truma quote nothing. This might be one of reasons that at least three of us with Clubmans/Deltas feel the flow rate could be better, especially in the shower.

BTW, the kitchen and basin taps have flow regulators fitted inside the twist on bit of the spouts. Taking them out improves the flow rate but can't do anything about the shower (at the moment ;) ).

Edited by Pebble

For filling the "pink" tank, I use a push on adaptor to the washroom basin and a length of hose out of the washroom window into the tank ;).

Reich quote a flow rate and pressure for their submersible pumps, Truma quote nothing. This might be one of reasons that at least three of us with Clubmans/Deltas feel the flow rate could be better, especially in the shower.

BTW, the kitchen and basin taps have flow regulators fitted inside the twist on bit of the spouts. Taking them out improves the flow rate but can't do anything about the shower (at the moment ;) ).

Our shower water delivery was also cr*p so I took off the tap panel and . .. the pipes had been kinked!

Put on some stiffer external sheathing (using vertically cut larger diameter hose held in place with some cable ties) to stop the pipes kinking, re-installed the panel, get a lovely shower now.

hth

Edited by irie

Our shower water delivery was also cr*p so I took off the tap panel and . .. the pipes had been kinked!

Put on some stiffer external sheathing (using vertically cut larger diameter hose held in place with some cable ties) to stop the pipes kinking, re-installed the panel, get a lovely shower now.

hth

Certainly does help ;) . Well worth a look on my Delta. Many thanks for the heads up.

Ive just bought a 2013 Clubman SE - thought the loo looked rather flash but never thought to check the filler cap! We used an old milk container to fill the Thetford on our 2008 Stellar. I got frustrated with the Thetford fridge, which had shelves that were fiddly to put in place but dead easy to dislodge.

Our first trip is Scotland next week, setting off the day after I take delivery. Maybe we should have a shakedown trip out Saturday night at Englethwaite Hall, 3 miles away. ........

Thanks for your comments Jim, very helpful. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

The nose weight in the online manual states 100 kg, does your car only take 80 kg?

I didn't realise the toilet filler cap did not have measures on it, not very helpful. I did notice the toilet fresh water tank filler was recessed, but I use a plastic watering can for filling, so shouldn't cause a problem.

Looks like I shall have to put the pink stuff in the can because her indoors said I coundn't use the measuring jug from the kitchen. LOL.

Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow to see what sort of deal he can conjure up. :rolleyes:

Talking about the Truma Ultraflow external pumps I have had one on a Coachman VIP for over three years with no problems, at least something worked right.

Hi Dave,

Sorry for replying so late, just got back from a long weekend away. ....

Re nose weight - the max permissible according to the manual is 100Kg - When we 1st got the caravan we loaded it pretty much as per the book - all heavy items over the axle, lighter stuff under the fixed bed behind the axle. With 2 x calor lights, a set of leveling ramps, a few wooden blocks & the EHU lead in the front locker, we had a measured nose weight of 110Kg. The rating plate on the tug tow bar states a max nose wight of 85Kg. In order to get down to that, we had to move all of the heavy items to under the fixed bed, & take the EHU lead out of the front locker.

Having said all of the above, it actually tows like a dream on both motorways at 60mph & along twisty B class roads - it is very stable.

Our previous caravan had Thetford fridge & toilet. This has Dometic fridge & toilet - if I could have chosen a Thetford toilet & a Dometic fridge, I would be even happier.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Dave,

Sorry for replying so late, just got back from a long weekend away. ....

Re nose weight - the max permissible according to the manual is 100Kg - When we 1st got the caravan we loaded it pretty much as per the book - all heavy items over the axle, lighter stuff under the fixed bed behind the axle. With 2 x calor lights, a set of leveling ramps, a few wooden blocks & the EHU lead in the front locker, we had a measured nose weight of 110Kg. The rating plate on the tug tow bar states a max nose wight of 85Kg. In order to get down to that, we had to move all of the heavy items to under the fixed bed, & take the EHU lead out of the front locker.

Having said all of the above, it actually tows like a dream on both motorways at 60mph & along twisty B class roads - it is very stable.

Our previous caravan had Thetford fridge & toilet. This has Dometic fridge & toilet - if I could have chosen a Thetford toilet & a Dometic fridge, I would be even happier.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks to Jim and everyone for your input regarding the Lunar SE but after much toing and froing and a disappointing offer from the dealer we have decided to keep with our Coachman VIP at the present moment. Not only would it cost us a lot of money but our Isabella Magnum would not fit and our Ventura Atlantic would probably need modifying and we would need a new Winter cover so there would be no end to it.

Glad most of you are pleased with it and if we decide at a later date to change we will certainly look at Lunar.

Jim, glad you have your nose weight sorted and the 'van is towing well.

This is my first post on Caravan Talk and I am very pleased with all the help and advice that has been offered.