Sign in to follow this  
WelshAl

New Unicorn Barcelona

Hi,

After so many problems with our 2012 Swift Challenger Sport 554, we have decided its time to move on. We have ordered a new Unicorn Barcelona, looking forward to picking it up in July but in the meantime, is there any advice on things to look out for?

Also, anybody modified there Barcelona? If so, what did you do and why?

Alan

Yes. ..everything. .....literally. .......why. ....lets just say ive had experience with a NEW unicorn.

Move the electric sockets under the cooker from the floor to the adjacent partition (frees up more space), fit double cranked hinges to the right hand wardrobe door so it can open 180 degrees and some have moved the toilet roll holder.

Enjoy your new van !

Bob

I've had mine since October In that time I've had 3 of the blinds off to adjust the tension ( easy job, tells you how to do them in the owners manual) and I had to clear out the extra sealant from the awning rail. Worth getting the dealer to do that job before you take your new purchase from them. The wood effect trim around the front sun roof has started to wrinkle away from the roof but fixing it can wait until it goes back for a service. We have used the caravan several times, it tows very well and is a joy too use.

I've had mine since October In that time I've had 3 of the blinds off to adjust the tension ( easy job, tells you how to do them in the owners manual) and I had to clear out the extra sealant from the awning rail. Worth getting the dealer to do that job before you take your new purchase from them. The wood effect trim around the front sun roof has started to wrinkle away from the roof but fixing it can wait until it goes back for a service. We have used the caravan several times, it tows very well and is a joy too use.

hi,

the lounge ceiling wood effect will probably have to be changed,seemingly the glue originally used has not done its job. they now use a different adhesive,mine has just been changed. not got van back yet so can't comment on the result.

Mine is due for delivery in a few weeks. I'm going to fit an onboard tank, essential in my view. Anyone done this? I have priced the parts and it's going to cost £150.

klarky,

Care to comment further please?

Alan

Dont listen to the doom merchants. Enjoy your new van. . :rolleyes:

Dont listen to the doom merchants. Enjoy your new van. . :rolleyes:

Here here !!

Bob

My fires now been put out hopefully.

Just had my second tour with out something broken!!

But its took two years to get there.

Your new Bailey may be trouble free, but its highly unlikely.

At least the walls and roof don't have wood to rot, unlike Coachman that don't even use stainless steel awning screws!, or Swifts that have red hardwood that soaks up water very efficiently.

You have made a good choice.

I have the Unicorn 2 Cadiz and other than the damp mattress issue, which was not Bailey's fault just a couple of niggles but then having had 5 new vans previously and all had problems including Compass and Avondale that is not surprising. Having mentioned the Avondale I got rid after 11 months it was that bad, to me bailey caravans are excellent.

Thanks all.

I hope i am not tempting fate by saying i hope i don't experience anywhere the number of problems i have with my Swift. Will never entertain having another Swift.

Alan

We had some problems, on a 2012 Pamplona. Front anti chip panel peeling when we collected it. Fly screen used to fly off literally. Dicky bathroom light switch, Microwave cutting out and kitchen draw fell off and we have a warped wardrobe door. Also the damp mattress.

Now for the good stuff. Front panel replaced by one dealer, they did manage to scratch the paintwork, but that is being resolved by another dealer. Screw in flyscreen rather than the push fit model fitted by dealer. Bathroom light switch supplied by dealer, fitted by me. Microwave supplied by dealer and fitted by me and SWMBO. Kitchen draw runners refitted by me with screws with larger heads. Damp mattress replaced by Bellfield. So far every problem we have had has been sorted without any fuss.

As for the van we love it. Look out for our reg number UN11CRN.

Hi Everybody, new to forum.

Been reading Forum as a guest, since delivery of S2 CADIZ Dec 16th 2012. With the help of Baileys (Joanne) the Dealer, your Goodselves, my diy efforts and 4. 5 months later i now have a van which is acceptable to me, although it is going to have to prove itself in the coming summer months, for me to want to buy another Bailey. Been Caravanning/Motorhomeing since 1972 mainly Coachman/Swift. (Avoided Bailey)Can't remember taking 4. 5 months to get problems sorted before?Many Thanks to you all, ALAN (KOLEOS)

Check the rear lights are secure as the rear bumper panel mouldings are not that good my panel is being changed under warrenty as the lights were hanging off and it took te fitters (two of them ) an hour to try an secure one of the lights in its correct position. The rear wet locker under the bed has to be changed aas it is verry hard to close due to bowing (no gap between the door and frame. door mat frame lifting (top half not clipping onto bottom half).front top blind to be changed on large window (creasing due to cords over tensioned. Why they have two cords running from A to B ln a straight line and the blind physicality forced into a radius by the framework beats me. Chipping of woodwork. Skrews in wood construction not home ( standing proud )Decals peeling over front windows and gas locker. spare wheel hoist (wire rope fraying ) mine is redundant because of the motor movers but I paid for it do I want it replaced. check the windows in good sunlight as I found loads of scratches after a week or so but they polished out ok. found a radiator hanging off the wall under offside front bench seat. damp mattress problem still waiting for my second replacement from belfield as the first replacement after two nights sleeping on it ended up with two valleys in it. totally collapsed. The beds wood framework is something to be desired ( dont put your knees against it for support if u go under the bed as it will collapse I have beefed mine up with extra timbers. check awning rail will take the awning tape especially where the joint is took me two hrs on site to clear it. allso mastic everywhere. Not to mention the motor mover problem. Mine was built in their annual shutdown by the saturday boys I think. STILL LOVE THE VAN THOUGH

ps. 12V and the alde panel refusrd to come on just outside dover port a bit of twiddling and bsnging resolved it nearly had to come home left the master on for two wks all ok

Edited by langers8

SOLY MISTAKES DUE TO STUPID PREDICTIVE TEXT

Check the rear lights are secure as the rear bumper panel mouldings are not that good my panel is being changed under warrenty as the lights were hanging off and it took te fitters (two of them ) an hour to try an secure one of the lights in its correct position. The rear wet locker under the bed has to be changed aas it is verry hard to close due to bowing (no gap between the door and frame. door mat frame lifting (top half not clipping onto bottom half).front top blind to be changed on large window (creasing due to cords over tensioned. Why they have two cords running from A to B ln a straight line and the blind physicality forced into a radius by the framework beats me. Chipping of woodwork. Skrews in wood construction not home ( standing proud )Decals peeling over front windows and gas locker. spare wheel hoist (wire rope fraying ) mine is redundant because of the motor movers but I paid for it do I want it replaced. check the windows in good sunlight as I found loads of scratches after a week or so but they polished out ok. found a radiator hanging off the wall under offside front bench seat. damp mattress problem still waiting for my second replacement from belfield as the first replacement after two nights sleeping on it ended up with two valleys in it. totally collapsed. The beds wood framework is something to be desired ( dont put your knees against it for support if u go under the bed as it will collapse I have beefed mine up with extra timbers. check awning rail will take the awning tape especially where the joint is took me two hrs on site to clear it. allso mastic everywhere. Not to mention the motor mover problem. Mine was built in their annual shutdown by the saturday boys I think. STILL LOVE THE VAN THOUGH

ps. 12V and the alde panel refusrd to come on just outside dover port a bit of twiddling and bsnging resolved it nearly had to come home left the master on for two wks all ok

Hi langers8 I was just reading your reply and you say you can't use your spare wheel because of the mover is fitted I think I read something about that before I ordered my S2 Barcelona but when I asked the dealer he said what I heard was rubbish. And he was right I have a Powrtouch Evolution™ AWD fitted and it doesn't interfere with the mover in any way but you do lose the jacking points. And welshal I only live in Newinn and if you want to call over ill show you the couple of mods iv'e done and the things to look out for when you pick your new van up I rejected the first van I ordered you got to make sure you don't get a Friday afternoon one. And to be honest this van is great and the service you get from Northern farm is excellent.

Hi,

After so many problems with our 2012 Swift Challenger Sport 554, we have decided its time to move on. We have ordered a new Unicorn Barcelona, looking forward to picking it up in July but in the meantime, is there any advice on things to look out for?

Also, anybody modified there Barcelona? If so, what did you do and why?

Alan

Alan we are up to about 40nights in our Barcelona, its a great van, no major problems. Speaker cable snapped, and some air in the Alde heating system.

Things to look out for from me is a clean awning rail and some additional sealant around the shower tray. Just give it a good test before you take it away

I have modded mine with 200w of PV and second 110ah battery otherwise all standard