blindsider

Filter Or No Filter? That Is The Question

I have just read a post where a reader stated that the filter in the water system should be removed and not replaced. I have not changed our filter since we have had the van, approx. 18 months. I flush the system after a period of inactivity, which is rare as we are all season tuggers, and have had no "infectious issues"

Is this removal sound advice? B)

Personally, and again, this is very much a personal thing. .. I change the filter at the start of each and every stay away in the van.

I have a very delicate tummy and I also Milton flush the whole water system at each stay away also. We are also all season tourers.

As for removing the filter altogether, I see no issue with this advice whatsoever. As a fish-keeper my experience with water quality has taught me that the charcoal filter fitted to most caravans is only there to remove large debris such as flies and sand and it's only real advantage is to improve the taste of the water as it will adsorbe a certain quantity of smaller and chemical particles from the water.

I have also performed the Aqua-Roll 'mod' on my filter, where you take a spare aqua-roll screw cap and drill a very tight fitting hole in the top of the cap for your water pipe to enter, this ensures none of the larger dirt particles should enter your effectively sealed water container. It also stops the kids pulling it out and filling the aqua-roll with gravel!!! :o Yes, they did this.

http://www. hse. gov. uk/healthservices/legionella. htm

Edited by dreadly

Personally, and again, this is very much a personal thing. .. I change the filter at the start of each and every stay away in the van.

I have a very delicate tummy and I also Milton flush the whole water system at each stay away also. We are also all season tourers.

As for removing the filter altogether, I see no issue with this advice whatsoever. As a fish-keeper my experience with water quality has taught me that the charcoal filter fitted to most caravans is only there to remove large debris such as flies and sand and it's only real advantage is to improve the taste of the water as it will adsorbe a certain quantity of smaller and chemical particles from the water.

I have also performed the Aqua-Roll 'mod' on my filter, where you take a spare aqua-roll screw cap and drill a very tight fitting hole in the top of the cap for your water pipe to enter, this ensures none of the larger dirt particles should enter your effectively sealed water container. It also stops the kids pulling it out and filling the aqua-roll with gravel!!! :o Yes, they did this.

http://www. hse. gov. uk/healthservices/legionella. htm

:goodpost:

I have seen wandering dogs cock their leg on aquarolls

I always make sure the soft plastic cap is sitting square

over the opening. Your cap idea is better.

Guest Beagler

As up to now we have been on CC sites where the water supply, I believe must correspond to a standard, and following several opinions as to why you don't need one in these circumstances, I abandoned their use. One argument was that if you were going to fit a filter it should be at the tap so eliminating impurities from the van's water system. I found that mine would have a clear viscous substance on it when left for a month or two. I do flush my system every year with that Puriclean stuff.

Filters should be replaced after 30 days of use. 18 months is far to long.

If you keep the pipes clean and use tap water from a drinking water supply the use of a filter is questionable.

The use of Aqua Tabs in the Aquaroll is probably cheaper.

My van has mesh filters in the taps and no filter system from new.

We use Puriclean to clean the system and the Aquaroll.

Guest Beagler

Filters should be replaced after 30 days of use. 18 months is far to long.

If you keep the pipes clean and use tap water from a drinking water supply the use of a filter is questionable.

The use of Aqua Tabs in the Aquaroll is probably cheaper.

My van has mesh filters in the taps and no filter system from new.

We use Puriclean to clean the system and the Aquaroll.

Same here. ...

My filter has been removed and replaced with a length of pipe. I use a small water container for filling the kettle and for drinking, either a filter jug in the fridge or bottled water.

Thanks for all of your advice. I too keep a small water container of drinking water for filling the kettle, use puriclean, and ensure the flexi cover is fitted securely on the aquaroll. So it looks as though the filter has had its day! :)

I have on previous caravans removed the filter and used a filter jug for the water for drinking and cooking. Can't find the filter on my present caravan though.

What put me off them was when I discovered main supplying dealer did not change them at the annual service even though it is on the makers schedule, he told me I should have asked for it to be changed and paid an extra charge.

I only use a filter whilst in France, rest of the time the filter is removed.

Guest Beagler

It wouldn't be so bad if they were a bit cheaper or lasted longer but £11 for 28 days forces you to contemplate if it's really necessary.

. ....or am I being too miserly?

My previous one had a Crystal filter in the inlet, my current one has an inline filter only in the kitchen supply tap. I never change either. I used to flush out and scald the Crystal one before each use. The one in my current van I cannot do that with so I would like to bypass it with a section of pipe - it is a job to do, once I manage to find some pipe with which to replace it. ...

In my opinion filters unless replaced for every trip, pose very much more of a health risk than not having one. They sit there slowly drying out and breeding germs in warm conditions. .

In my opinion filters unless replaced for every trip, pose very much more of a health risk than not having one. They sit there slowly drying out and breeding germs in warm conditions. .

Harry, you have just painted a picture for me. I have just gone out and sentenced my filter to a fate in the dustbin. :D

We don't bother changing the filter very often at all. Instead we use Aquasol ! A cap and a half in each Aquaroll and off you go ! Don't have to worry about the water, filter or pipes at all then ! ;)

Harry, you have just painted a picture for me. I have just gone out and sentenced my filter to a fate in the dustbin. :D

I need to source a length of plastic tube around 15" by 12mm OD to replace mine - I have just attempted to turn some 12. mm down to size, but it leaked when I tried it :o

I need to source a length of plastic tube around 15" by 12mm OD to replace mine - I have just attempted to turn some 12. mm down to size, but it leaked when I tried it :o

Why all the trouble???

Just leave the filter out with the end screw cap fitted. Then you can channel your efforts on other "useful" activities ;)

Why all the trouble???

Just leave the filter out with the end screw cap fitted. Then you can channel your efforts on other "useful" activities ;)

Its one of those inline type filters and plugs into those quick release pipe connectors, basically its a cylinder with a bit of 12mm rigid pipe poking out at each end. To make the filter refitable, I simply need to track down a bit of 12mm rigid pipe.

I have colitis so any problems with water could land me in hospital so I take great care on what we do.

I now empty the water and use the floe system to employ all standing water, reports show this stops bacteria from growing in the standing water.

My van does not have filter an I have not had one in our van for longer than I care to remember .

I think I read, and I am happy to be corrected, but with in two weeks water will be unfit for you to drink and make you quite I'll and in my case would be quite a problem well before.

Doing what we now do we have started drinking water from the caravan tap with no problems at all.

James

Guest Beagler

That's a good question. Taken further is it 30 days continual flow ( unlikely scenario I know)or so many litres or the fact that the filter is wet?

That's a good question. Taken further is it 30 days continual flow ( unlikely scenario I know)or so many litres or the fact that the filter is wet?

I would suggest you can pretty much take your pick of the answers, but the suggestion ought to if you draw only one litre through one on a trip, they should then be replaced for the next trip. If the van is used continually, then likely there is no problem, but between trips the germs will breed in the warm moist environment of the filter.

Guest Beagler

Like I said previously mine had a clear viscous substance on after a while. I once took one out that had only been in 1 trip and washed it in detox, rinsed it thoroughly and dried it then put it in a sealed bag with a view to using it again the following spring. When I looked at it there was some white mould on it. Needless to say I whizzed it and I don't use em now.

I may be wrong but, as I understand it the water filters of the type that go into the water hog are not intended to purify or protect against bacteria or nasty’s living in the water.

The sole purpose of the activated carbon water filter is to remove any water treatment tastes or smells and they should be changed regularly, because they tend to become a breeding ground for bacteria.

So if you’re not drinking the water from your aquaroll there is no point in having one. :blink:

Guest Beagler

Mine was in the water inlet on the side of the van but yes I've come to the same conclusion but isn't it natural that we try and eek things out to save money . ...not always a wise thing.