Sign in to follow this  
Mr Green

Unicorn S2 Satellite Connection Configuration

Trying to figure out how to connect my sat dish to the freesatbox and be able to use 2 of the tv points without switching cables over.

Satellite cable to outside aerial connection via a f plug adapter.

And lol that's as far as I have got.

This cable I assume runs to the amp in the overhead locker.

Any suggestions welcome

If it like mine the van is hard wired from the connector outside your van to the outlets,usually by your tv aerial points inside the van,so you need another lead that goes from your outlet by the aerial point to your freesat box. I suppose that's f to f female? Hope that's correct and makes sense? Sure someone will confirm. I had some good help on here with sat.

In my U2 Cadiz, the aerial input in the Battery Box goes to a flying lead with an F connector beside the amplifier in the top locker. The roof aerial goes into the input of the amplifier and the two TV sockets are fed independently from the two amplifier outputs.

On early U" Cadiz models there was an aerial input on the nearside under the van near the door. I don't know about the wiring of these.

I might be able to help as I've got mine set up as follows and have just been away to try it.

I have a Sat dome on the roof and have had two Sat points fitted using a T splitter on that cable to take the cable forward to a sat point at the front. I can't use both sat points at the same time but only want one TV.

Now I've done the same thing with the socket on the outside which feeds into the amplifier cupboard by using another Tsplitter to take that cable forward to an extra front socket. So if I have a sat failure or stuck under a big tree I can just plug into the bollard if that facility is available or use the Status. Couple of T splitters at the amplifier gives me the option of use the Status or the external socket. .......again can't use 2 Tvs. And I've also got a DAB radio connected to the Status using a T splitter for the FM and DAB signals.

All works perfectly and easily fitted.

Splitters lose at least half the signal - typically 4dB (3dB being half) - so their use is not ideal At some point that loss will be enough to cause reception problems; although it may work fine in most circumstances.

Also note you need DC-pass splitters for satellite connections (otherwise the receiver won't power the lnb).

In my Pegasus I fitted three f-sockets in the battery box - underneath the mover switch (which I fitted also) to dedicated points in the caravan - a similar arrangement from there or any other convenient point (e. g. the external 240V socket housing) would allow you to choose which point to feed.

I use quick-fit f-connectors on the feed from the dish and to connect the receiver in the caravan. These could also be used in the cupboard with the Status aerial and amp/psu to effect a quick-change connection?

Edited by Rodders53

I am trying to set up my sat TV using the sat connection inside the battery box but so far without success.

I assume the wiring should go from the female connector in the battery box to the amplifier in the overhead cupboard. So far so good, now I then connect the flying from the battery box to the ANTIN. Right I then set up the digi box, plug the lead into the female TV point connector and all syatems go, NOT. For some reason this does not work. I have therefore connected the digibox direct to the dish in order to get a signal and good picture, bypassing the connector in the battery box.

What an I doing wrong?

Thanks for the advice.

Ideally want 2 tv s from the digi box without trailing cables the van has 3 tv points plus the outside aerial connector.

I must have a think

Splitters lose at least half the signal - typically 4dB (3dB being half) - so their use is not ideal At some point that loss will be enough to cause reception problems; although it may work fine in most circumstances.

Also note you need DC-pass splitters for satellite connections (otherwise the receiver won't power the lnb).

In my Pegasus I fitted three f-sockets in the battery box - underneath the mover switch (which I fitted also) to dedicated points in the caravan - a similar arrangement from there or any other convenient point (e. g. the external 240V socket housing) would allow you to choose which point to feed.

I use quick-fit f-connectors on the feed from the dish and to connect the receiver in the caravan. These could also be used in the cupboard with the Status aerial and amp/psu to effect a quick-change connection?

I'm assuming that was why I was told I could only use one socket at a time because to use two would reduce the signal by 50%. So to use both sockets at the same time I'd need what you said.

But I'm not sure that i need a DC-pass splitter? Or do I? Confused now as it all worked perfectly!

The dome has its own power box and once the sat I wanted last week was locked on I turned the control off as per the instructions. I then turned the TV with built in decoder on, tuned it and picked up over 300 sat channels.

Do i need a DC-pass splitter?

Mr Green. ........I think you need a quad LNB so that each source has its own cable feed

I might be able to help as I've got mine set up as follows and have just been away to try it.

I have a Sat dome on the roof and have had two Sat points fitted using a T splitter on that cable to take the cable forward to a sat point at the front. I can't use both sat points at the same time but only want one TV.

Now I've done the same thing with the socket on the outside which feeds into the amplifier cupboard by using another Tsplitter to take that cable forward to an extra front socket. So if I have a sat failure or stuck under a big tree I can just plug into the bollard if that facility is available or use the Status. Couple of T splitters at the amplifier gives me the option of use the Status or the external socket. .......again can't use 2 Tvs. And I've also got a DAB radio connected to the Status using a T splitter for the FM and DAB signals.

All works perfectly and easily fitted.

Thinking about putting a dome on the roof of our Valencia 2 but concerned about the weight as I'm just about on the max load & can't see how I can get it down much more. Have a motor mover fitted which eats into the weight allowance.

They're not very heavy. Can't remember exactly but we've got the RoadPro auto skew type. All the detail is on their web page and its a doddle to use

I just unscrew the tv feed cable in the cupboard and swap it for the other white cable. Takes seconds. Works for me.

Had the satellite connection problem on my S2 Cadiz. Firstly there was box fitted to the chassis labelled 'satellite connection'. When I looked at it, it is was a splitter fitted so that 2 outputs were fitted as inputs and the one input was fitted as the output. The lead fitted into the caravan was connected to this single 'input'.

As I understand it you cant use splitters with satellite, let alone fitted the wrong way round. I removed this splitter and connected my LNB to the single cable to the external of the van.

The internet end of this cable was a loose fly lead by the aerial booster.

I established which of the 2 tv out cables from the booster went to the TV socket I wanted to use, disconnected from the booster and connected it straight to the fly lead.

I now have a single uninterrupted lead from my LNB to the TV socket in the caravan. Fitted a lead from the socket to Freesat Box and all works well.

I just now need to find an appropriated external connection box for the lead under the caravan.

Tis will not work of you need 2 leads for Sky+ or Freesat+. Hope this makes sense