Sign in to follow this  
wasntbtf

Driving In France - Some Rules & Regs

Useful document.  There does seem to be some general confusion re. dipped headlights.  Generally in the past I have used stickers, or even black tape, some cars have adjustment levers under the bonnet, on on my Mitsubishi Outlander with LEDs dipped headlights the owners manual says: 

When entering a country in which vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road to the country in which your vehicles is supplied, necessary measures have to be taken to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. However, headlamps on this vehicle do not need any adjustment.

A Sticker would be impossible any way as there are two dipped LED element on either side.  I think it depends up on how the beam dips, i.e asymmetrical (a beam kick up on the left) or flat.  You rarely see a car from Europe with sticker as I believe they dip flat.

2 hours ago, ChrisUK said:

You rarely see a car from Europe with sticker as I believe they dip flat.

You can get beam deflectors for LHD vehicles but they are rare.

Headlights on LHD vehicles are the opposite of RHD insofar as they 'kick-up' to the right.

Likewise, Jaguar have confirmed that the led lights on my E-Pace need no modification. Better advice is to check your car handbook

The dipped beam for a right hand drive car will not meet the requirements for a left hand drive car. Whilst modern headlamps  may have a flat topped dipped beam they still will not meet the requirements of EU countries that drive on the right. If a UK vehicle is imported into the EU the first things  that needs changing to pass the appropriate test are the headlamps.

Legislation in France (and, no doubt, in most of the EU) requires that dipped beams dip to the right and do not dazzle other motorists so a French vehicle with maladjusted dipped beam lamps could cause dazzle. As this is a subjective opinion unless a police officer considers a vehicle is causing dazzle to other motorists no offence is  committed. Could this  be the reason that such offences have not been reported on UK forums?

55 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

You can get beam deflectors for LHD vehicles but they are rare.

Headlights on LHD vehicles are the opposite of RHD insofar as they 'kick-up' to the right.

They are available at French ports with ferries to the UK and at Eurotunnel. They are not likely to be on sale anywhere else for obvious reasons!

• Like 1

Viz jackets, my outlander is technically a 7 seater, but there are only 2 of us.  Do I need 7 or 2?  I know they are very cheap, but storage would be a problem.  Just got back safely from France with only 2!

You would be fine with one but everyone that leaves the car need to wear one. We have four since we sometimes travel with two in the back seat and I like them stay safe even outside France if we have to leave the car.

On 13/08/2019 at 21:05, beejay said:

The dipped beam for a right hand drive car will not meet the requirements for a left hand drive car. Whilst modern headlamps  may have a flat topped dipped beam they still will not meet the requirements of EU countries that drive on the right. If a UK vehicle is imported into the EU the first things  that needs changing to pass the appropriate test are the headlamps.

Legislation in France (and, no doubt, in most of the EU) requires that dipped beams dip to the right and do not dazzle other motorists so a French vehicle with maladjusted dipped beam lamps could cause dazzle. As this is a subjective opinion unless a police officer considers a vehicle is causing dazzle to other motorists no offence is  committed. Could this  be the reason that such offences have not been reported on UK forums?

They are available at French ports with ferries to the UK and at Eurotunnel. They are not likely to be on sale anywhere else for obvious reasons!

I live in France, I took my RHD Vauxhall Insignia for it's first CT (mot) I had the headlights set as if towing and it sailed through no problems. I also took my LHD car to UK last week, when driving at night did not get "flashed" once for dazzle. both cars are built in the EU the headlights do not dip to left or right. 

The first time we went to France we used the beam deflectors, but have not bothered since and have never been flashed.  We never travel at night and in tunnels use the dipped beam.

On 13/08/2019 at 21:05, beejay said:

EU regulations state that headlamp may dip either vertically down or 15° to the nearside. Most European car manufacturers have opted for the vertical dip for their left hand drive models. It's best to check the handbook or with the dealer whether the same applies to tight hand drive versions, too.

Beam deflectors must not be used in conjunction with xenon, high energy discharge, LED headlamps or adaptive headlamp systems.