Sign in to follow this  
wasntbtf

Driving In France - Some Rules & Regs

I understand it is the originals, just print off the insurance certificate, that's what I do, it is also what the insurance companies do when they send one.

You need your original V5 and MOT certificate, and a printed copy of your insurance document.

• Like 1

Can I ask is a photo driving licence needed? Mine is still the old green and pink one.

I've only just discovered this thread.

What a mine of useful information - thank you!

I still have the green licence (no photo driving licence) but as we'ver never ever been stopped by the police I have no idea whether it's accepted or not, though others tell me there is no problem as long as you always have your passport with you. I have hired car without a photo licence, in France, but needed to show my passport.

Edited by ValA

You need your original V5 and MOT certificate, and a printed copy of your insurance document.

Thanks. Being very security concious, it goes against every grain in my body to carry the V5 in the vehicle, but it seems I have no choice.

Thanks. Being very security concious, it goes against every grain in my body to carry the V5 in the vehicle, but it seems I have no choice.

I feel the same as you, which is why the originals are well hidden while remaining readily available if needed.

Gordon.

So does my digital breathalyser count. Gives an exact readout.

Thanks for the info Vale.

Technically it is of course an offence in this country not to be able to produce your documents on request to a police officer.

However you are usually given time to produce them later at a police station of choice and will only actually be reported for the offence if you fail to do that.

Why? Many countries require the registration document to be carried in the vehicle.

Technically it is of course an offence in this country not to be able to produce your documents on request to a police officer.

However you are usually given time to produce them later at a police station of choice and will only actually be reported for the offence if you fail to do that.

Though the V5 is not one of them. ;)

There is no punishment for not carrying a breathalyser so save yourself a few quid and don't buy one (or two!).

It was a mate of Sarkozy who lobbied to get the law changed and it just so happened he owned a company manufacturing breathalyser's. Sarkozy is gone and effectively too this daft law. ..

Why? Many countries require the registration document to be carried in the vehicle.

Though the V5 is not one of them. ;)

You have probably never lived in a car where car jacking is the national sport! ;)

You have probably never lived in a car where car jacking is the national sport! ;)

Can't say I have!

Lived mainly in a house but spoent some time in a caravan!" :ph34r:

Certainly not in this country! But watch out for meteorites, as the odds are very similar.

Certainly not in this country! But watch out for meteorites, as the odds are very similar.

Hmm That should have been "country" not "lived in car". :D

Got stopped by French Police last week near Troyes on quite country lane and told to produce my driving licence and was breatherlized, no worries as I hadn't been drinking, they spoke good English and were very polite,never been stopped in UK, so be aware they are watching you.

Does anyone know if the towing limit on contraflow roads (currently 80 kph for my outfit, over 3500 kgs) will be reduced?

38 minutes ago, Flying Grandad said:

Does anyone know if the towing limit on contraflow roads (currently 80 kph for my outfit, over 3500 kgs) will be reduced?

Only the 'national speed limit' on single carriageway roads outside ''built up' areas (agglomerations) is affected.  

Edit:  The article linked has an error. The French may obtain UK  keeper details from DVLA   if a motoring offence is detected by automatic cameras but there is no agreement with the UK for cross-border recovery of penalties.  

Just don't return to France    ;)

Edited by beejay

It will be interesting to see if the map updates on Sat Navs reflect these changes.

4 hours ago, Nigelwyn said:

New French Speed Limits from July 1st 2018

Speed limit for 2 lane roads (not dual carriageway) is changing from 90kph to 80 kph.

More here -

https://www. aph. com/community/holidays/french-speed-limit-cut-later-year-find-avoid-risk-fines-650/

Won't affect people with a car capable of more than 3. 5 tonnes gross train mass. Since 2010 the limit on single carriageway roads when towing has been 80 kph.

50 mph - just like the UK really, although I have been overtaken when towing by HGVs in France on single carriageway roads when doing 50 mph.

Thank you, crystal clear and very informative 

For information.

French driving licenses start with 12 points and reduce according to the offence, hence the minus figures

It is an offence not to have your driving licence with you, so if you commit an offence where it's 'confisque' you can't continue to drive.

image.thumb.png.3306a80eea36e726c0cc7546a3af99c3.png

Edited by Lost in France

These are the allowances before you receive a fine.

speeds.thumb.jpg.180ca707d8930310d2dcc2d90cb079e0.jpg

Google translation

Elements concerning the speed (read by an automatic control device or not)
Speed restrained
Retained speed = measured speed - technical margin Technical margin *
5 km / h to 100 km / h, 5% of the speed measured above, for a fixed radar.
10 km / h to 100 km / h, 10% of the speed measured above, for a moving radar.
Examples for a fixed radar:
- for a measured speed of 95 km / h, the speed adopted is 90 km / h (95 km / h - 5 km / h);
- for a measured speed of 140 km / h, the speed adopted is 133 km / h (140 km / h - 7 km / h).
Examples for a moving radar:
- for a measured speed of 100 km / h, the speed adopted is 90 km / h (100 km / h - 10 km / h);
- for a measured speed of 140 km / h, the speed adopted is 126 km / h (140 km / h - 14 km / h).
'Order of 4 June 2009 relating to road control speed meters