Sign in to follow this  
happy hols

Mobile Booster

hi all

hope you can help I have stayed at lots of sites where my Vodafone signal is very poor but I am happy with them over all, is there a device that can boost the signal on campsites that does not need a router we use mainly ehu?

I have a sim card 3g booster for that has a aerial that plugs into a usb on computer but would like not have to break my phone all time to get sim card out and use computer.

kind regards happy hols

Hi,

Not sure quite what you are using due to the terms you are using to describe your set up. ...

What I use is a 3G USB dongle, with a data sim card in it and that is what I have used for the past few years. I was using Voda until this year. To improve the signal, which was never that good no matter where we happened to be, I used a USB extension so the dongle could be mounted outside and higher in the air, protected from the rain in a plastic container, but I stil struggled with reception and disconnections.

I recently started using SambaMobile, which operates on the Three Network. Use is free of cost, providing you build up credit by watching ads. The Three Network seems much better than Voda and where ever I have been with it, I have got broadband speeds. All I did was buy a Samba sim and unlock my existing 3G dongle. I unlocked the dongle by simply looking up unlock software on the internet, to match the dongle make and model.

Compared to Voda, I can just plug the dongle in the side of the laptop and get a good connection. I got the Samba sim for just £1 delivered, but now they cost £5. As said, your usage is free of cost, providing you build up credit by watching their ads - a 20 second ad watched, can get you 3. 5Mb of data credit, with about 1Gb of ad credit available per month. I can organise one a bit cheaper for you, using Samba's referral system if you want to try it - just PM me.

For the moment, I am carry both the Samba/Three sim with me, plus the Voda sim.

Edited by harry.m1byt

I use a 3G MiFi. Works really well; good coverage and speed, and you don't have leads trailing about like a dongle.

The other advantage is you can connect more than one device; so my wife can browse on the iPad whilst I'm doing the same on the MacBook.

3 month Simcards are available on Amazon for just over a tenner; so it doesn't break the bank either.

hi thanks for help I have managed to get help from a shop today

what I am after is to boost my mobile phone signal so I can talk and receive calls in poor coverage areas and improve the data signal on 3g as well without having to take sim out of phone all time for things, like a quick update on weather or facebook etc

this is what he suggested . http://mobilesignal. co. uk/products/163/Mini-GSM-900-Plus-3G/

kind regards aaron

Guest jks

I use a 3G MiFi. Works really well; good coverage and speed, and you don't have leads trailing about like a dongle.

The other advantage is you can connect more than one device; so my wife can browse on the iPad whilst I'm doing the same on the MacBook.

3 month Simcards are available on Amazon for just over a tenner; so it doesn't break the bank either.

So do we. Good setup.

Aaron, you must have more money than sense at that price. Crazy!

Edited by jks

hi jks

the price is the problem going to stick with what I got but just wish Vodafone had better coverage as I keep using a pay as you go 3 sim for data when traveling to west

kind regards happy hols

hi all

can you use payg 3 preloaded sims in france?

kind regards happy hols

Guest jks

hi all

kind regards happy hols

In a word 'NO'

C&CC sell 12 months WIFI for £42.

Signal a bit variable & not available on all C&CC sites, but OK on most.

I have run more than one device but not simultaneously.

David

I have a vodafone Huwei \Mi FI device . It is just like the 3 one and works very well if you can get a signal. I am just about to get it unlocked so I can use other company sims in it so will see what is available at the right price. My problem is that during the winter I don't use it so only need it for the summer so the PAYG cards will be the best for me. If you get them off Amazon,who do you use or is it anybody?I don't want to buy 1 and it doesn't work so looking for feedback on best place to buy one from

I have a vodafone Huwei \Mi FI device . It is just like the 3 one and works very well if you can get a signal. I am just about to get it unlocked so I can use other company sims in it so will see what is available at the right price. My problem is that during the winter I don't use it so only need it for the summer so the PAYG cards will be the best for me. If you get them off Amazon,who do you use or is it anybody?I don't want to buy 1 and it doesn't work so looking for feedback on best place to buy one from

I have used several for my 3G sim off Amazon. Just went for the best deal at the time. I've never had a problem with any of the sims.

Guest jks

Loads of "3" data sim cards on ebay. Around £10 for 3gb for 3 months if not used before. Easy to put more data on once used up. We have been using the Huwei E586 for 18 months and have never failed to get a connection on "3".

Also here

Edited by jks

Hello

I have absolutely no signal in my house. what can I do?

Don't 'get your mifi unlocked' - do it yourself, dead easy with instructions on line. Indeed try it with another SIM first as many such devices are supplied unlocked.

Hello

Ask your SP if they do a home unit that attaches to your broadband and gives you a cellular signal around the house. Certainly VF and EE do them.

Edited by Woodentop

Hello

For Vodafone, a Suresignal unit provides 3G voice/data and routes it over your broadband connection - see https://www. vodafone. co. uk/shop/accessories/sure-signal/

NB devices like the ones referenced in post #4 above are illegal unless used with the express permission of the mobile operator. Ofcom have been looking into making them licence exempt, but at present unlicensed use is illegal. (They're no use if you've zero signal in any case)

If you've not got a mobile signal in your house then a booster wont help you at all, that's if you were allowed to use one, which you aren't as they are illegal in the UK unless you get a licence to use one.

Three have an app called 3 inTouch which allows the phone to access the 3 network via your home router's wifi signal. I've used it in several places, even on CMC sites where there's been no phone signal but the CMC wifi signal has been OK. It doesn't need a separate box, just a compatible phone

As others have mentioned VF have their SureSignal box, not sure about the other providers

If you've not got a mobile signal in your house then a booster wont help you at all, that's if you were allowed to use one, which you aren't as they are illegal in the UK unless you get a licence to use one.

Three have an app called 3 inTouch which allows the phone to access the 3 network via your home router's wifi signal. I've used it in several places, even on CMC sites where there's been no phone signal but the CMC wifi signal has been OK. It doesn't need a separate box, just a compatible phone

For voice over Wi-fi, O2 has the TuGo app. Vodafone use a different approach: if you're on the right package with right phone, it just uses WiFi when mobile signal isn't available (see https://www. vodafone. co. uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/ ). I think EE works the same way too (http://ee. co. uk/why-ee/wifi-calling )

I am using three on the Canary islands!!

£29 for 12 gigs of data for a year from Amazon.

On Gomera for a fortnight Three is operating through Moviestar.

Appears to be a strong signal all over the island.

Works fine on Teneriffe airport.

31C here.

End of another perfect day in The Valle Gran Rey.

I'm on 3 ( me, daughter and business phone) signal was so bad they suggested their wifi app, which I also found useless. I found out they issue booster boxes ( about size of sky modem) I managed to get one off them 14 months ago and no signal problems since.

as i know all this boxes from providers work only for this provider. and what can I do if all members of my family have different providers? Maybe can I use a booster like this www. myamplifiers. com/boosters/repeater-ma700d/ ?

as i know all this boxes from providers work only for this provider. and what can I do if all members of my family have different providers? Maybe can I use a booster like this www. myamplifiers. com/boosters/repeater-ma700d/ ?

You are joking of course?

1 Stupid price

2 Illegal in UK

3 Only works on 1800MHz - no good if you are a VF, 3 or O2 user that do not use 1800MHz!*

*And before anyone flames me, yes I know VF and O2 do have frequency allocations in the 1800MHz band but they are only for local area fillers such as in shopping centres or their own shops and not for wide area. For that they use the 900MHz band, or the 2110MHz band for 3G, or the 800MHz band for 4G. This means that essentially this device will work on EE (and its infrastructure sharers such as BT, Asda and Virgin) only but even then only on 4G in some areas and 2G everywhere.

You are joking of course?

1 Stupid price

2 Illegal in UK

3 Only works on 1800MHz - no good if you are a VF, 3 or O2 user that do not use 1800MHz!*

*And before anyone flames me, yes I know VF and O2 do have frequency allocations in the 1800MHz band but they are only for local area fillers such as in shopping centres or their own shops and not for wide area. For that they use the 900MHz band, or the 2110MHz band for 3G, or the 800MHz band for 4G. This means that essentially this device will work on EE (and its infrastructure sharers such as BT, Asda and Virgin) only but even then only on 4G in some areas and 2G everywhere.

I wouldn't flame you because you're absolutely right on the illegality, and beat me to it on responding that way. However, just to note that Three do have 1800MHz spectrum.

If anyone's interested, there's a reason why these things are illegal. Properly planned, repeaters are fine, indeed the mobile operators make some use of them. However, poorly implemented ones confuse/desensitise the equipment on mobile masts, so a repeater user's actions can improve their own coverage but destroy that of others. In terms of proper implementation, the features required to make sure they don't cause interference mean that a properly spec'd unit comes in at about £850. Units at sub-£200 are a ***** nightmare. The networks are constantly evolving too (as in ~2000 new masts/month at present), so what is harmless now may not be next week. The mobile operators can tell when/where repeaters are being used - they stick out like a sore thumb - and they can & do report offenders to Ofcom. If you're lucky it's a knock on the door, confiscation of kit and stern letter - unlucky and it's a fine too.

hi all

kind regards happy hols

I used this 3 Sim card in my MiFi last summer in France with no issues.

https://www. mymemory. co. uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

On 15/03/2017 at 00:50, Disco4 said:

I wouldn't flame you because you're absolutely right on the illegality, and beat me to it on responding that way. However, just to note that Three do have 1800MHz spectrum.

If anyone's interested, there's a reason why these things are illegal. Properly planned, repeaters are fine, indeed the mobile operators make some use of them. However, poorly implemented ones confuse/desensitise the equipment on mobile masts, so a repeater user's actions can improve their own coverage but destroy that of others. In terms of proper implementation, the features required to make sure they don't cause interference mean that a properly spec'd unit comes in at about £850. Units at sub-£200 are a ***** nightmare. The networks are constantly evolving too (as in ~2000 new masts/month at present), so what is harmless now may not be next week. The mobile operators can tell when/where repeaters are being used - they stick out like a sore thumb - and they can & do report offenders to Ofcom. If you're lucky it's a knock on the door, confiscation of kit and stern letter - unlucky and it's a fine too.

What does it mean "Properly planned"? I've found a multi-bands repeater like NS-300 https://www.myamplifiers.com/repeater-82/ that has a "Smart" function. The supplier explains that it's for adjusting the device gain automatically - "Automatic gain control (AGC). The system will automatically maintain a suitable output signal amplitude notwithstanding the variations of the input signal."  This means the signal does not exceed the allowed power and does not cause  any interference.  is that a good one?

On 28/04/2013 at 12:54, happy hols said:

hi thanks for help I have managed to get help from a shop today

what I am after is to boost my mobile phone signal so I can Talk and receive calls in poor coverage areas and improve the data signal on 3g as well without having to take sim out of phone all time for things, like a quick update on weather or facebook etc

this is what he suggested . http://mobilesignal. co. uk/products/163/Mini-GSM-900-Plus-3G/

kind regards aaron

£300!!

Why not just use a satellite phone!

I use a £10 aerial + HUAWEI dongle£40+£25 3 12G 365 day sim£26

On 14/03/2017 at 21:50, Disco4 said:

I am certain someone is using this kit in our poor reception cul-de-sac.

What are my options-Virgin is our bundle service provider?