Sign in to follow this  
Scotash

Favorite Layout?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the caravanning scene and just wanted to get other peoples views on layouts?

The layout that I prefer is standard lounge/dinette turning into a double bed, kitchen and bathroom in the middle (this helps not to disturb kiddies when they're asleep) with second dinette at end with either 2 singles or 3 including pull down bunk.

It would be good to here what everyone else likes/don't like?

I prefer a layout simmilar to yours Scotash.

Makes sense having a middle bathroom when there are more than two people.

I have the Challenger 580 mid-bathroom layout with a fixed double bed on the middle of the back wall.

It seems to work well when there are four of us in the van and reduces the disturbance when the bathrom is used during the night.

Hi Scotash and welcome aboard. Layout is always dependent on your needs but from our perspective we're with you. Whilst the double dinette layout used to be really popular it seems to have fallen out of favour now with the triple/double bunk stack and single dinette at one end being more in favour. I'm not sure but I think current only Lunar and Adria do the double dinette.

Our double dinette suits us as the rear dinette is the larger of the two and we just spin the seat cushions over, put the kids sleeping bags out and that it for the evening. In the morning it's as quick to put things away and then you've got effectively two rooms to use. One adult and one kids (although it doesn't always work like that). Equally no concerns about growing out of the van as it will suit them well into their teens if necessary. ....and if they do want to bring the odd friend we've got up and over bunks each side in the rear! and finally if we ever do get away then we can turn the rear into just a massive double bedroom.

So for us we're with you but everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

And off course if you want a nice two bed (Kids flown the nest) what could be better than the conqueror 645, end bathroom and transverse island bed

Edited by SP1

Ahhh yes SP1 I can but dream of the day that that will happen (although undoubtedly I'll then be looking back,wishing they were still little and wondering where all the years have gone).

Hi guys, haven't visited for a while and thought I'll start here.

I too have kids and prefer the OP's choice of layout but it does reduce the 'feeling' of space with the washroom in the middle. i thinks it's a small price to pay to have full use of the 'van with the kids in bed. Thinking about it, most nights we all go to bed at the same time anyway!

I had a dream of getting a lightweight van under 1200kg laden with a large lounge that converts into a large double with centre bathroom and kitchen with the 4 man dinette at the back which convert into a double below and a bunk above.

We now have such an animal and it tows great, works perfect, dry as a bone, got a big easy to erect awning and looks great. We bought it because we wanted to take our daughter and grandson away with us. Alas they loved our first trip that much that they went and bought their own so now the wife wants to revert back to the old 2 birth with a rear kitchen.

When mission control speaks, we must listen so sadly my dream van is going on the market next week and it just been serviced and I replaced all the cushions as well plus I replaced the tyres and got a stabaliser as well. She thinks I own Barclays instead of being a humble retired golf pro.

If anyone is looking, pm me.

We tried a fixed double bed layout on a motorhome years back and couldn't get on with the clambering over, disturbance issue.

So when we decided to go tugging we opted for a van with 6ft 5ins long single benches that can be turned into a big double if we want. At the other end of the van is a single dinette that's useful to allow one of us to carry on sleeping whilst the other sips a cuppa etc. And it provides a third bed across the van for when our grandson accompanies us. The amidships washroom is a squeeze, but we usually use site facilities anyway.

Last year we bought a van with the perfect layout for the 2 of us - L shaped lounge, fixed island bed. We only went to buy an aerial, but as it was a wet day, wandered out to look at the caravans. Once inside the first one I was smitten (Bailey Senator Louisana Series 5). Before that it was a double dinette - with the rear always made up as a bed. It was nearly right, but we never found and/or couldn't afford the absolute ideal, so we kept it for 10 years!

Edited by strickley

Side dinette layout as there is just the two of us. We leave the two front bench seats (6'3") made up and we have the side dinette for eating plus the HUGE Bailey bathroom with walk in shower at the rear ! Absolutely perfect ! No need for an awning at all but it's nice to have one in the summer :)

We currently have fixed rear bunks that is ideal for the kids and gives us a lot of days space,,,,,,,,,,,but I do miss the fixed double of our old Indiana.

When we bought our Bailey Ranger 470/4 some three years ago we spent an awfully long time thinking about layouts. We spent ages at our dealers, who are only 400. yards from us. They let us play with so many vans. We set the beds up, played in the kitchen, tried the rear loo, and shower theoretically. After some time we settled on our 'baby' and I am glad to say we got it right! 300 plus nights in it so far!

We like the kitchen/galley by the door. We do not take the animals, sorry children do not use the side bunks any more so that provides good storeage and food prep area. At the moment our caravan is a front sitting/eating/double bed. Love the rear bathroom, and as we normally use CL's that is important to us!

Now we are looking to upgrade, so are looking for a fixed bed! Chose the caravan we wanted from reviews etc. Saw the Caravan in the flesh, and it was a definite no no! So back to the drawing board!

As OP we do like the double dinette lay out in our lunar lexon ds with daughter being disabled it give us the room we need and she will always be coming away with us so fixed bed no good for us.

There are just the two of us and so the side dinette, large end bathroom suits us perfectly nowadays and we've had three vans with the layout - we use the front as two singles.

When we used to take the little ones away we had a mid bathroom end dinette van which was perfect as we had a play/sleep area that could be closed off. We tried using it as a fixed bed in the dinette area at the rear but found that clambering over each other in the middle of the night didn't work for us.

We thought long and hard about a fixed bed layout but decided that it wasted too much space and you'd still have the clambering problem

So the layout thats best depends how you use your van and even which stage in your life your are

As our children are all over 19 and have no interest in caravanning, then it's a transverse island double and end washroom for us :) .

Twin lounge that gives us 4 x 6ft+ single beds (or 2 doubles) with fold up bunks over the rear lounge.

Central bathroom and kitchen.

Normally, rear lounge is left as "permanent" single beds with front lounge used as such.

We "removed" the bunk beds as we'd never use them.

Great if it's just the two of us and minimal set-up at night if it's three or four of us.

I prefer side bath room. This gives me a window/view at both ends of the caravan and if the wife is reading I can go to the other end and play on my laptop.

wife thought she wanted end bathroom till she started looking around the saw the side bathroom with separate shower and loo and that was that, I knew she would not like end bathroom but had to let her make her mind up.

macafee2

This gives me a window/view at both ends of the caravan and if the wife is reading I can go to the other end and play on my laptop.

Through visibility when towing is also a major plus. :)

As most will agree layouts are a personnel thing which is why there's so much choice.

I looked at vans for 2 years dreaming of when I could afford one and finally got the money together for an amara 570/6. My children are 4 & 6 so love the rear bedroom with their own bunk beds. The bathroom is small but has a separate shower so it's a compromise I can live with.

In a few years time when the kids are older we might change to a twin dinette but we're happy for a while yet.

That's what we like ( and have )

I am having the same debate in my head at the moment.

We have a 2004 quasar 615 at the moment and the layout is good for us with a doible bunk at the back and small dinette, no shower cubicle.

The van im looking at ia a linar ultima tl with a twin dinette. For all of the reasons above i like the idea especially the shower and possibility of creating a large double at the back.

But im leaning towards thinking that what i have is actually perfect for Me at the moment, even if a bit long in the tooth. I have just totally resealed it, valeted it, had it serviced, polished it and its looking good.

Just need to find sone replaceement faded graphics and it will be as good as new.

We currently have fixed side bunks, side dinette and an end bathroom, which works good for us and our three children. The only negative for us is the relatively short work surface area in the kitchen. For that reason we have been looking at buying a new van with a double dinette (as OP). Not only do you get two defined rooms, you also get acres of work surface. The only negatives are where to put the TV (don't want to put it in the window) and the limited leg room in the toilet ( comparatively speaking - i am just thinking of the three ladies in my van!!!).

Several manufacturers still do the double-dinette layout - Coachman, Sterling (Trekker?), and Elddis (Superstorm).

We are a couple (kids gone) but prefer a 4 berth. Me (tall) at the front in the ginormous double bed/lounge area on my own and 'er indoors at the back in a fixed double bed on her own (I think?). Luxurious and with space for the grandchildren as they get introduced to 'vanning.

Our Adria Adiva has the kitchen at the back, lounge across the middle, with a fixed double bed, wash hand basin and toilet at the front. It's unusual but it works well for us two.

Guest Inner State

Well for me it's 'L' shaped lounge at the front, makes for great TV viewing and plenty of leg room. Fixed bed, real luxury not to have to mess about making up beds every day and rear bathroom, take all of your clobber in there, have a shower and get changed etc. Bauley Senator Wyoming ticking every box, love it.

J

Sign in to follow this