Sign in to follow this  
kingbilly

Tempo 100

How do I get a Tempo 100 classification for my van so that I can tow at the higher allowed speeds in Germany.

I went to the TUV in Celle two years ago and the mechanic said I could not have it as my van was not registered in Germany.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill

I think the mechanic was the wrong person to ask. You should have asked the engineer-in-charge. It is perfectly possible to obtain approval through the TÜV for a foreign registered caravan if the technical requirements are fulfilled.

However, you may need a document from the caravan manufacturer certifying that the caravan is suitable for speeds of 100km/h. All the other technical requirements, such as the provision of a stabiliser, the age of the tyres (less than 6 years) and their speed rating would be easily checked be the TÜV engineer by visual inspection.

We get quite a lot of visitors from Scandinavia and Holland transiting through Germany with 100km/h stickers.

First of all its good to see Lutz here.

My understanding is that British coaches also require some sort of Tempo certificate and I think this can be done in the UK, just a pity caravans can't. Just a word of caution to the OP, in Germany so many motorways are two lane and there are often restrictions on overtaking so having a Tempo 100 could be a bit academic!

David

First of all its good to see Lutz here.

My understanding is that British coaches also require some sort of Tempo certificate and I think this can be done in the UK, just a pity caravans can't. Just a word of caution to the OP, in Germany so many motorways are two lane and there are often restrictions on overtaking so having a Tempo 100 could be a bit academic!

David

David you beat me to it.

Easier just to stay in the lane with the lorries and travel at their speed, and even then you will be doing 90kph. I've never had a problem from the Police for staying at that speed.

I believe there are also restrictions in Switzerland about displaying Tempo 100 marker boards as I think they have to be covered over.

John.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that Lutz, I have a Compass Rallye new at April 2008. Made by the Explorer Group with a "BPW V tec swing" chassis and a Winterhoff WS 3000 stabiliser. On the paperwork for the stabiliser is a photo of the Tempo 100 badge and in German "zuglassen fur die neue km/h Regelung" It is a twin axle and the spare tyre and one other has a date stamp of week 18 2007.

The paperwork for the stabiliser covers only that. In order to avoid disappoinment (should you happen to encounter a particular zealous TÜV inspector) I would advise writing to the Explorer Group and asking for confirmation that the caravan as a whole is approved for speeds up to 100km/h.

Thanks Lutz,

I think I will follow your advice and write to Explorer Caravans re this matter.

Bill

You can contact me if you have any further issues and I would take the matter up in the forefront with the TÜV before you leave for Germany.

Many thanks Lutz

Kind regards

Bill

What is the speed limit without this document and is it the same in Austria?

What is the speed limit without this document and is it the same in Austria?

The speed limit almost everywhere on the Continent except France and Belgium is 80km/h and that applies to Germany, too.