Sign in to follow this  
kingbilly

Adac A Timely Warning

I joined ADAC two and bit years ago, mainly because of the positive comments by others on this and other forums. I took the "Partner Plus" package as it covered my wife and I any where in Europe including the UK.

In 2011 whilst on the way to Dover I had a puncture on the caravan, I called Munich and they sent out the AA to asist me. In November I had a puncture on my car, I called Munich again, they sent the AA to asist. I called them again in January this year for a sticking accelarator. Again the AA assisted.

I renewed my membership in January 2012 for the second year.

At the end of 2012 I had letters from them inviting me to renew my membership for 2013. I paid by credit card on 31 Jan 2013.

Two weeks later I had a letter from them telling me that the package that I had paid for was being downgraded because of these three events, all in the UK. The downgraded package would only cover me for Germany, not the UK or any other country except Germany. I wrote to them saying this was unacceptable and asked for them to cancel the plan and refund my 98. 20 euros.

They offered to refund 33. 75 euros, the difference between the two packages and told me I would be a member on the lower version until 31 Jan 2014.

A very underhand way of dealing with members. Of course I have now joined Red Pennant for my European trip in August.

That is very interesting. I'll follow this thread with interest, as I've always suspected it was going to be wrong for me to join an overseas organisation when 80% of my annual mileage is in the UK.

But I personally haven't jumped straight back into the Red Pennant fold. For me the answer to the conundrum is an annual car insurance which includes breakdown/ service in UK and Europe as a package. It's not as all embracing as Red Pennant, but does for me what it says on the tin - takes me to a repair shop, or brings me home when that fails.

Had heard of this with 'own company' callouts but never ever with a major organisation. .....Interesting.

geoff

i was with the aa for 26 years,you are only allowed so many call outs before they alter your terms, the maximum number of call outs, as set out in the AA's Service Control policy, has been reached or exceeded in any two consecutive Membership Years;

and thats just the uk, but if i was intending to travel uk 80% of my annual milage, i think i would have gotten uk only cover, has it is im intending to do more over france so adac meets my needs so no knocking adac from me,im happy

I joined ADAC two and bit years ago, mainly because of the positive comments by others on this and other forums. I took the "Partner Plus" package as it covered my wife and I any where in Europe including the UK.

In 2011 whilst on the way to Dover I had a puncture on the caravan, I called Munich and they sent out the AA to asist me. In November I had a puncture on my car, I called Munich again, they sent the AA to asist. I called them again in January this year for a sticking accelarator. Again the AA assisted.

I renewed my membership in January 2012 for the second year.

At the end of 2012 I had letters from them inviting me to renew my membership for 2013. I paid by credit card on 31 Jan 2013.

Two weeks later I had a letter from them telling me that the package that I had paid for was being downgraded because of these three events, all in the UK. The downgraded package would only cover me for Germany, not the UK or any other country except Germany. I wrote to them saying this was unacceptable and asked for them to cancel the plan and refund my 98. 20 euros.

They offered to refund 33. 75 euros, the difference between the two packages and told me I would be a member on the lower version until 31 Jan 2014.

A very underhand way of dealing with members. Of course I have now joined Red Pennant for my European trip in August.

I have seen a similar posting to this elsewhere. Was that you also?

I thought most breakdown companies restricted/removed cover to those who "abused" it with an unacceptable number call outs?

Interestingly, one person who recommends ADAC, has reported he has made a number of call outs. ..... but all on the continent. :rolleyes:

Unless you intend to tour in Germany the cover they are now providing is completely useless. If you paid by credit card maybe you should ask them to intervene? It would have been better that they refused you cover, at least then it would have been easy for you to go elsewhwere. It does seem somewhat underhand. I think you need to write again saying the new cover is pointless.

David

This needs to be looked into seriously I have been a member with them for two years have only needed service once in Spain which went very smoothly but if it has hidden risks I may change at the next renewal

If this is indeed the position, I am glad I decided to stay with RAC Arrival, I know I can rely on them.

Steve W

Yes, David has made a very valid point. I have a feeling that there was some disconnect within the ADAC due to the quick succession of events (the third beakdown call-out immediately prior to renewal, then the letter re "downgrading" immediately following an already made payment). Under German law, a change in terms of the original contract, i. e. "downgrading", would entitle immediate termination, especially as it should be plainly obvious that the coverage being offered now is clearly unacceptable to someone not living in Germany. I am, however, confident that the issue can be resolved to the policyholder's satisfaction if the ADAC is approached again pointing this out.

I have spoken to Bill and on his behalf spoke to an ADAC Rep. yesterday who is looking into it for Bill. As Lutz says there must have been some disconnection within 2 head office departments in ADAC I hope it gets resolved for

Edited by snooks