My First Scary Night In The Caravan!

mechs

I know what you mean . .. some of them seem to be on tiny ledges.

If you actually go up to the top of Pettycur Bay there's certain bits taped off where the cliffs have gave way and the caravans are either at a dangerous angle or damaged / dangerous! :o Scary!

Compass Shadow 1988

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously a couple of years ago me and a mate were taking a drive and just went to look at the site and it gets really steep driving near the top and you just see all the caravans hanging!

This is near the site in question!! http://www. deadlinenews. co. uk/2012/10/23/car-passenger-rescued-in-cliff-top-drama-2/

Compass Shadow 1988

I was repairing a caravan at The Woods in Fishcross when a gust from nowhere lifted the caravan clean off the jack. It landed back on the jack with a good thump, no damage to the caravan but i dumped the jack.

Seen a tourer get the body ripped off on a seasonal pitch in St Andrews, Ins co wanted a quote for repair.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

The wind had died down a tad yesterday, even got all my washing dry but it's back today from nowhere with a vengance - and i've got to go out soon!

I've always hated the wind and we get really bad snow / wind here but ever since the caravan blowing over outside the house i've been even more paranoid about the wind! Hate it! and it hurts my ears!

No caravans outside that can blow over and the wheelie bins are tightly packed together. The Forth Road Bridge is cars only just now as far as I know.

Compass Shadow 1988

Gusting between 50 and 60mph on ma hand held anemometer at ma back door Mechs rippling ma cheeks !!

GAS . ..... :angry:

its the same here, not got an anemometer but according to the net it's 60+. Bridge is cars only. It's got worse as the days went on with heavy showers. I had to go out to the doctors then into Dunfermline but that's me in now! Don't like the wind. It's not cold and actually a bit sun popping through but the gusts are terrible! Thankfully a friend of ours lives near the sire we're on so is keeping an eye on the caravan and awning for us - and the trees behind! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

• 1 year later...

Well not been at the caravan this weekend and due to the gusting wind the last 3 days can't say i'm bothered. Never slept much better at home either.

Last weekend in the caravan was windy too so didn't sleep but not as bad. Since I put the skirt around it though no "woosh" underneith the caravan, just the rattling aluminium roof!

Not had an awning this year to worry about either thankfully!

Compass Shadow 1988

Wind can be dangerous so it is reasonable to be afraid. Rain, even torrential, I quite like to hear. But lightening, at night, fantastic, I open the blinds and just sit and watch the light show. An aluminium skinned van is as safe as anywhere, not sure I would feel as safe in a fibreglass van though.

I know I love a good storm too and get up to watch it from the window and love torrential rain at home or the caravan but hate the wind. Had to go out to the shop earlier and find myself looking up at roof slates and buildings.

Just after the New Year this year we were in Dunfermline standing chatting to someone on the high street and just outside a cafe where I was standing a big metal bit of roofing fell off and landed about a meter from where I was standing and it wasn't as windy as today.

Compass Shadow 1988

I know I love a good storm too and get up to watch it from the window and love torrential rain at home or the caravan but hate the wind. Had to go out to the shop earlier and find myself looking up at roof slates and buildings.

Just after the New Year this year we were in Dunfermline standing chatting to someone on the high street and just outside a cafe where I was standing a big metal bit of roofing fell off and landed about a meter from where I was standing and it wasn't as windy as today.

You can get screw in ground anchors for large trampolines with ratchet straps and things in a kit fairly cheaply. Maybe if you are worried then tying the thing to the ground would give a little more 'piece of mind' :) ?

• Like 1

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Cheers, after the 2012 storm I tied the caravan to the ground and have done ever since so I have the peace of mind just can't seem to get used to the wind!

It's died a bit here thankfully but rain off and on.

Compass Shadow 1988

As child my parents had a static that was chained down to the base - it still used to feel the wind though - more of a shake than a rock if you know what I mean. Our worst night recently was at Southport CC site with torrential rain and gale force winds. The caravan was rocking and shaking but I think that was mainly due to the awning that was blowing about. Luckily it didn't sustain any damage. We did have a real bad night in Cheddar this Julybut where we were pitched we were sheltered by a building and a tall hedgerow so we were fine, unfortunately a couple just down the row from us had their awning damaged by the sheer weight of wind and water that came down.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

I' know i've lost a few awnings in the past.

I've only ever been scared of the wind since the caravan I had as a project blew over in 2012 outside the house, it didn't just topple, it actually lifted and landed over to the other side of the garden and it was getting dragged, if it wasn't for the fence it would have been in the middle of the road. Then my husbands shed literally blew up about 20 minutes later!

I really need to upload pics!

There was a documentry on about storms and that same day 3rd Jan 2012 and there was a static actually blew into another caravan in the highlands or near Aberdeen I think!

Compass Shadow 1988

Can't find the shed blown apart pics but here's the caravan;

Stood it back up later that day 3/1/12

Still getting dragged along the garden by the wind 3/1/12

Getting dragged by the wind further along the garden 3/1/12

Caravan blew over the other side of the garden 3/1/12

Damage when we were able to stand the caravan back up later that day 3/1/12

Compass Shadow 1988

We are in Keswick, pouring rain and very windy, Susanne is not happy, I told her the caravan weighs over a ton so shouldn't blow away. 86 decibels,via phone app. lol. time 21 10, 1st November 2014.

Hope the rest of the week weather gets better.

Mondeo 2. 0TDCI 140bhp/ Coachman festival 550

Ear plugs ! Otherwise you will not sleep ! I have a snoring husband so I use these whenever I need to.

The ear plug shop

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I can't put ear plugs in my ears let alone sleep with them in, wish I could!

Last night at the caravan was a bit wind and rain but not much so slept sound!

Compass Shadow 1988

We where on a cl up in Blackpool last night and the wind was really ripping through the site .

We went out and took the porch awning down at 8 pm because I would have never slept waiting for it to land on top of the roof.

CHEERS DAZKIM

I never have a problem with the wind or rain waking me up, my solution, take my hearing aids out. World war 3 could break out and i would still sleep through it.

The joys of getting old.

Peter

We where on a cl up in Blackpool last night and the wind was really ripping through the site .

We went out and took the porch awning down at 8 pm because I would have never slept waiting for it to land on top of the roof.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Dazkim, just out of interest what type/style of porch awning was it? just curious,. thanks

Dazkim, just out of interest what type/style of porch awning was it? just curious,. thanks

Not Sure what's it's called to be honest without looking . It's just a very small tent material one.

May I ask why your curious lol

CHEERS DAZKIM

Edited by dazkim