Sign in to follow this  
Scaramanga

Lithium Battery Cordless Drill

I got one of these drills for Christmas. It was a Hitachi 18v lithium battery powered one which included a torch to run off the same Battery, spare battery and carry bag. Looked a good bit of kit. However I'm underwhelmed in its caravan leg winding abilities. It seems to cut out when winding the legs up or down. I believe it's a overload safety feature.

Anyway I'm looking for another one. And I've seen one that looks ok in B & Q for about £100. It's a Bosch 18v cordless drill with 2 lithium batteries. Can anyone recommend any others for a similar price? I'd sooner have a lithium powered drill as opposed to nicad. Also before anyone mentions the manual cranking handle, yep I have one but I'd sooner go the lazy route.

Edited by Scaramanga

for power tools I would always stick to Dewalt. i have an 18v cordless and it would break your wrist before cutting out!

for that budget you might not get Li ion battery but places like screwfix often have offers so you might get lucky.

Guest Inner State

+1 on the Dewalt, excellent products

I'd sooner have a lithium powered drill as opposed to nicad.

Yes I agree. Nicad batteries dont last very long in cordless drills. I got a Ryobi drill from Screwfix four years ago. It came with charger and two Lithium batteries in a carry case. For the price, it's a really great tool.

My Hitachi 18v lithium battery powered works brilliantly. it was reduced to £99 at B&Q with two batteries and have had it for two years. The batteries retain their charge very well. It does almost 'break your wrist' if the torque is set too high. I use it for steady winding and to insert and remove my 50 screw pegs for the Awning. I would return the drill and have it replace by a new one as it seems faulty.

Dave

Edited by caraman1

I recently got a 12V Lithium Drill-Driver from Lidl - Parkside Branded made by Kompernass GMBH - for the princely sum of £29. 99. http://www. lidl-service. com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6A3CF3D2-03D0E57D/lsp/hs. xsl/product. html?id=37028307&title=CORDLESS+DRILL+PABS+12+A1&count=1

It does my Rimini steadies with no problems at all. Actually feels solidly built and 'heavy'. Only issue is I tend to press the direction button by accident when gripping it. It comes with a 3 year warranty. Only one battery but you could buy another complete unit for that money! I did have a problem winding up the first steady and found I'd left it on torque setting 1 instead of screwdriver :blush:

I've never had any cordless drill cut out on me in use (if you discount the one with the exploding NiCd battery pack ;) ), and would suspect something is wrong with the Hitachi unit! Take it back as not fit for purpose. (Winding corner steadies is hardly an arduous task - unless you're trying to jack the caravan up by them! )

As a carpenter/builder all my power tools are Makita. I personally don't like dewalt, their battery technology used to be way behind the times & their triggers weren't variable speed. I'm sure they've improved but so has everyone else.

Don't get drawn in by volts when you chose a battery tool. A/h is as much important. Unless you like charging often or don't want long life. A lot of the Li batteries offered are quite low amp/hours. 1. 3 being typical for an 18v drill, which is pants in my opinion. Unfortunately the high output ones are lots of money.

I use & still buy Nimh tools. They offer much better value & still have a good life. My current drill is only 12v but 2. 6ah & is 2 years old, used daily & still going strong.

Screwfix are expensive!

Edited. I put Nicd instead of Nimh.

Edited by Muddy90

I have this http://www. screwfix. com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/64945

Hitachi 18v lithium drill and it's more than capable of damaging your wrist if you're not paying attention whilst winding your steadies up. I speak from experience with this. .. I forgot to change the setting from drill to one of the screwdriver torque settings when winding the legs up and it felt like I'd broken my wrist when the thing span round in my hand.

If yours cuts out I reckon there may well be something wrong with it.

I have this http://www. screwfix. com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/64945

Hitachi 18v lithium drill and it's more than capable of damaging your wrist if you're not paying attention whilst winding your steadies up. I speak from experience with this. .. I forgot to change the setting from drill to one of the screwdriver torque settings when winding the legs up and it felt like I'd broken my wrist when the thing span round in my hand.

If yours cuts out I reckon there may well be something wrong with it.

Same model as mine, highly recommended

Dave

caraman1

I to have a Hitachi lithium 18 volt drill with 2 batteries.

Plenty of power for winding legs.

A first class tool for D-I-Y to.

Dewalt is to expensive for D-I-Y-in my opinion-but-it is among the best.

I bought an 18 volt nicad "red" Black and Decker drill driver for £75 a few years ago still going strong-but-a bit heavy.

I bought the cheapest I could find in Argos about a year ago, It cost me less than £15, does a great job and is still working.

Paul

Same model as mine, highly recommended

Dave

That's the drill I have. It was bought by my parents last year as a present. Ex display model off eBay. 3 month warranty. Looks like I got a dud. I may try one from screwfix and see what it's like and if behaves differently to mine

Our maintenance team use a Bosch 18v but it came from Screwfix, I have a Makita 18v also from Screwfix it was on offer. It is worth buying trades mans tools, you pay a bit more but domestic tools use plastic / nylon cogs I the gearbox, trade tools have metal cogs. I found this out with our first drill driver at work when I managed to shred the gearbox, and took it back to Bosch they told me the difference.

That's the drill I have. It was bought by my parents last year as a present. Ex display model off eBay. 3 month warranty. Looks like I got a dud. I may try one from screwfix and see what it's like and if behaves differently to mine

I'm afraid you might/must have a dud.

Dave

I'm afraid you might/must have a dud.

Dave

Well the seller is still selling them so I've mailed him to find out where I stand. I don't hold much hope but worth a try. If not then its off to screwfix to try another Hitachi to see how that behaves

Well the seller is still selling them so I've mailed him to find out where I stand. I don't hold much hope but worth a try. If not then its off to screwfix to try another Hitachi to see how that behaves

If you decide on the same model, you will at least have extra batteries, not that I think you will need them, only once on a trip have I used the second battery and as I said, use it for winding and Screw pegs and my full awning uses 60 of them.

Dave

Although I accept the benefits from lithium - ion for people who rely on a drill for work, my drill is used almost exclusively for steadies / engaging mover so isn't under a lot of strain. Hence Ni-Cad seems up to the job. I bought a Ryobi 18v model 3 years ago for about £50 and the batteries have just died (I suspect through lack of use / being left uncharged as much as anything). I've just replaced it with a B&D 18 volt item which was on special offer at B&Q for just under £50. If it gives me another 3 years I'll be happy (it does come with 2 year warranty).

Guest jks

I have bought two drills for the steadies and both have died. Now use good old human effort!

Just a thought, what torque setting is the drill at when cutting out?

If its set low it will cut out and do nothing.

:)

Although I accept the benefits from lithium - ion for people who rely on a drill for work, my drill is used almost exclusively for steadies / engaging mover so isn't under a lot of strain. Hence Ni-Cad seems up to the job. I bought a Ryobi 18v model 3 years ago for about £50 and the batteries have just died (I suspect through lack of use / being left uncharged as much as anything).

Errrmm exactly the reason NiCd cells are unsuitable for most of us / DIY use is because they are used infrequently. They also should be discharged fully before recharging etc. ,. etc. ,,

NiMH cells are better than NiCd and if the price is right a fair choice (but not that readily available as far as I recall). But the best battery technology is currently the Lithium one - they do not degrade in the same way and hold a charge for a long time. They can be recharged from any point etc. ,. . .. Worth paying a little more for in my view.

Just a thought, what torque setting is the drill at when cutting out?

If its set low it will cut out and do nothing.

:)

It's set on drill. Using it in low speed is better. When I say better I mean cuts out less

I had a look for that model on the Hitachi uk site & couldn't find it. I was going to see if you could get just the body. They had others but were professional models so would no doubt be more money.

If you're thinking about getting the same again, it'd make a lot of sense to just buy the body, you all ready have the rest. I bought a Makita mxt body for £50 from a local tool shop.

I had a look for that model on the Hitachi uk site & couldn't find it. I was going to see if you could get just the body. They had others but were professional models so would no doubt be more money.

If you're thinking about getting the same again, it'd make a lot of sense to just buy the body, you all ready have the rest. I bought a Makita mxt body for £50 from a local tool shop.

Thank you very much :)

There is quite a few on eBay that are body only

Have just ordered a new body for £43 delivered. Comes with a full Hitachi 2 year guarantee. Thanks again for the heads up on this :)