Black Streak Syndrome!

Landrovernut

Having just been out and cleaned the van - Does anyone know how to stop the annoying black streaks that have plagued every van I've had in the last 25 years?

I would have thought that caravan manufacturers would have solved this one by now.

Also, the next best thing - the best way of removing them because some are extremely stubborn.

Some people buy a strip of awning bead (the strip that is stitched to the awning to enable it to pass through the awning channel) and leave it fed through the awning channel unless they have an awning in use.

It also directs rain away from running down the side of the 'van and dripping onto ledges inducing that age old drip, drip, drip water torture.

awning bead.jpg

or this http://www. riverswayleisure. co. uk/acatalog/info_111140. html

Awning strip, plus autoglym caravan and motor home cleaner. Removes the streaks nice and easy.

Then polish!!

Hi mate. Try using Autoglym instant show shine, You can get it off ebay for about £5. 00. This brings them off with ease.

Pete

Some people buy a strip of awning bead (the strip that is stitched to the awning to enable it to pass through the awning channel) and leave it fed through the awning channel unless they have an awning in use.

It also directs rain away from running down the side of the 'van and dripping onto ledges inducing that age old drip, drip, drip water torture.

I protect my van from black streaks like this:-

Buy a roll of black plastic "damp course" from any builders merchants.

Cut a length to suit your particular van then fold it over (down the middle) and pinch and press the fold into the awning rail. - See photo attachment.

I have to warn you that it takes quite strong fingers and seems a neverending task while your inserting it, but end result is well worth the effort by the end of winter.

If you do have the odd streak, white spirit will quickly remove it. - Won't it jks? ;)

Vin Blanc

post-42228-0-97381000-1365851358_thumb.jpg

I protect my van from black streaks like this:-

Buy a roll of black plastic "damp course" from any builders merchants.

Cut a length to suit your particular van then fold it over (down the middle) and pinch and press the fold into the awning rail. - See photo attachment.

I have to warn you that it takes quite strong fingers and seems a neverending task while your inserting it, but end result is well worth the effort by the end of winter.

If you do have the odd streak, white spirit will quickly remove it. - Won't it jks? ;)

Vin Blanc

attachicon.gifP1000278 (800 x 450).jpg

What a great idea Vin Blanc. ....

I go along with the Autoglym shampoo and then polish. I polished last september and have only needed to shampoo wash it to get rid of the black streaks this year.

We have the awning protector and it works. The chap who cleans / paintseal's vans for our dealer was doing a van while I waited for the front window to be replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and I quizzed him. He told me to start with the awning rails and use whatever cleaner I wanted with a hardish scrubbing brush or nail brush to get in edges the give them a good scrub not too hard as to damage the seals, rinse and then repeat again, then clean / polish the van as you would and it's worked for me.

This has annoyed me for a while and for the past few years I have diligently shampooed and polished my van before going away. I have used the same polish, Carplan triplewax, and found it got rid of the streaks very easily. The snag is that they come back very quickly as well. Whilst giving the latest van a polish I could only reach part way up the front of the roof so left the rest as it looked clean. It rained that night and the part I had polished showed some dark streaks whereas the bit I didn't polish showed virtually none. I have changed the polish to Simoniz Maxwax but this doesn't seem to get rid of the streaks in the first place but it may stop them coming back, who knows. The dilemma now is do I try some more expensive polish or do I use Silky to remove the streaks then polish with the Simoniz. The saga continues.

What a wealth of information you lot are! It's going to take me ages going through all these solutions.

The white spirit worries me a bit as not sure what else it might disolve but will try some of the suggested products and see what works best for me. Have been using Fenwicks black streak remover but don't find it that good - still leaves some of the stubborn marks.

Not sure I've got the patience to mess about theading damp proof membrane along the channel though!!

What a wealth of information you lot are! It's going to take me ages going through all these solutions.

The white spirit worries me a bit as not sure what else it might disolve but will try some of the suggested products and see what works best for me. Have been using Fenwicks black streak remover but don't find it that good - still leaves some of the stubborn marks.

Not sure I've got the patience to mess about theading damp proof membrane along the channel though!!

Have used white spirit for years on all our caravans and it hasn't affected any of them. What's to dissolve?

You only need a smear on a cloth.

Edited by jks

If you use Fenwicks try making up a 10% solution in a spray bottle and pre treating the area before washing the caravan with a normal solution.

You don't thread it through the awning rail, you pinch and push it in, inch by inch!

Fortunately, you only have to do it once a year (before closing up the van for winter).

I use the same couple of strips each year so the centre crease becomes almost permanent and therefore much easier to insert next time.

Also found that it's easier to do it on a warm day sooner than a cold one as the plastic is more pliable and easier to manipulate! - understandable I suppose.

Vin Blanc

• 1 month later...

I have been to a show at Peterborough & bought some shampoo & waterless cleaner from Rapid Shine, they have a wedsite http://rapidshineproducts. co. uk/ & look under exterior care the shampoo gets all the marks off & used neat on a damp cloth is unreal but I use the waterless cleaner for when I am out as I do not need a bucket etc. . to get clean. When I was there I spoke to the 2 guys on the stall & they told me to get it clean & use a good polish (They had rapid Guard) small bottle but good stuff - I have done it once with that & just keep topping up the polish with there waterless wash.

I was told the Rapid Guard last up to 5 years BUT I am so impressed I am going to do mine every other year to keep it looking like it does now.

Super company www. rapidshineproducts. co. uk

:D

www. rapidshineproducts. co. uk

Do a couple of things that will get them off for you - I would not use white spirts though. I bought from them the shampoo (one cap in a bucket of water - MUCH BETTER THAN FENWICKS) if you still have a slight mark put some neat on a damp cloth & wipe that over gone in a flash PLUS waterless wash (this also has a wax in it) spray it on wipe over & polish off.

I take a bottle of this away with me - so easy & keeps it looking shiny & new.

:D

Most of this is caused by having a dirty roof and once washed and protected by Greased Lightning we find the problem is very much reduced.

A black streak may appear now and them but take no effort to remove. A quick spray with Greased Lightning and a buff and it's gone.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.