Sign in to follow this  
lulubell69

Shower And Toilet

Does anyone actually use their shower or their toilet for number twos? (Not shower for number twos - ha). Most people I have spoken to don't. Why not?

Thanks

Les

We've set up some ground rules- if there are toilet facilities onsite, the caravan toilet can only be used for emergency wees during the night. Obviously, if there are no site facilities, you'd probably need to use the caravan toilet, although I'd try to convince my wife and son to use the bushes in the first instance!

I'm determined to have a shower in the caravan at some point, simply because I can. When I do, I'll ensure that there is plenty of ventilation and before the caravan goes back into storage, I'll use an old towel to make sure everything is completely wiped down and dry.

we use all our vans facilities,shower,loo etc. the only thing we use on site now is washing up sink,if there is one.

pete

The last site we stayed on was Clachan CC site, which doesn't have an amenity block.

So yes and yes to your questions.

I'm assuming you use the cooker, so why not the rest of the facilities?

Phil

some of the very best little sites we've been on have no facilities,so to use these great sites you must use your own facilities, empty every day and there's no problems.

pete

thats what they are there for. .......we always use our own facilities

just be aware you can't use your shower like you do at home,theres just not the endless stream of hot water with a caravan shower. soap then rinse alternately as there is only about 8-10 lts of water available at one time,and then it will eventually go cold or run out,,,,depending how much is left in the water container.

if youre going to use the van facilities my advice is to buy an extra water container. :lol:

Edited by klarky

we use all our vans facilities,shower,loo etc.

Yes - me too. Even do the washing up in the van - unless it's a large utensil such as a mixing bowl.

Guest jks

Yes use everything as supplied. Never use the facilities on site.

We use ours all the time. Wouldn't want to miss out on some of the best sites we go to that don't have facilities.

Having said that if we go to a site and the on site facilities are tip top, not too busy and close by - then we use them.

As above, we only use the caravans facilities

Hi . .. all the things in your van are put there for a purpose . ... use them for that purpose . ....

. ... you will never have to queue . ... and you can guarantee . ... they will be cleaner . ...

Cheers

Pete

yes use both its a major advantage of the van over the tent we

used to use :)

paul

Edited by hfturbo

We rarely use proper sites with ablutions blocks, so make full use of all our on board facilities.

We also cook full meals in the oven. The only thing we do not do is fried breakfasts on the hob. They are done on the Cadac, even in the depths of winter with snow on the ground.

When we bought the caravan we are certain that the shower, grill and oven had never been used!

As above, we only use the caravans facilities

And the electric hook up!!

We use the site facillities if up to standard. It's good to be principled and use the caravan as bought, but I would rather have a decent shower where I can move about than be cramped up and trying to guess how much water is left. However, if the site facillities are non existant or not to our standards then we use our own.

cheers, Dick

The rear shower cubicle at the back of our caravan is quite possibly bigger than the one we have in the house!

Of course we do!

As we stay on CL's most of the time, always!

#2's never except in an absolute emergency. #1's I don't usually, but she does, because she is slow on her feet. She gets to do the emptying too :lol: I used the shower twice in our previous van and gave up - far too twee and I wasn't happy about the ability of the plastic covered boards to keep the moisture in.

The shower in our Monarch, is simply great. loads of room in it, loads of room to dress in the bathroom, a good flow and the walls are properly lined. It will certainly get used.

We rarely use proper sites with ablutions blocks, so make full use of all our on board facilities.

When we bought the caravan we are certain that the shower, grill and oven had never been used!

Same here, our cooking facities seem not to have been used before.

Not a decision I have to make as my van has no onboard toilet or washing facilities. It doesn't even have a sink as standard, although we have added a freestanding sink that can be used either inside or outside the van. There is a compartment inside that could house a portaloo but we choose not too, much rather use the site facilities.

We've just had 12 days at a site which won "Loo of the Year" award but we still used our own facilities. Always do.

Historically, we used the loo for wee wee, the shower for showering and the sink for washing up.

I think I had some horrific thought about emptying the cassette in the event of "other use", but nothing quite so funny as some cardboard potties we saw on sale. These were made for the shape of a Thetford, so you lined the pan, did your business, but then heaven knows where you are supposed to put it!!!!

These days, we use everything for everything. If we did'nt, we would buy a van with less facilities. No point paying for stuff you don't use. (I suppose you could say that about site facilities too - if you have paid for a site with facilities, then use them). Sometimes we use site showers and so on, it depends how clean they are, how far away they are and if it is raining!

I don't think we have ever used a site pot wash area, although we do nobble their hot water for the twin tub!

Russell

Personally I just can't see the point in buying an expensive 'van with all the 'goodies' & then not using them. ....unless the weather is very nice & the site facilities equally so: I'd take some convincing even then. It's partly down to wanting to be self-sufficient, & also possibly depends if you come to caravanning via tents or whatever, & have therefore 'roughed it' a bit in the past, or direct & are comparing it to your house facilities.

Of course if your 'van is a bit lacking (eg. in size or spec.) then it's a different matter.

Then again, I buy things primarily to actually use not just to look at, not everyone does. I've come across several people who consider not using their on-board facilities as something to be proud of (I kid you not) they apparently buy things to posses rather than use, & get great pleasure from endless polishing: giving me hours of harmless amusement watching them LOL. Truly modern man tends to be a slave to his possessions.

It takes all sorts.

Guest Inner State

+1

Edited by Inner State

We use all the vans facilities as we can't see the point of having them and not using them. We do our washing-up in the van as well, I've never understood why people walk across the site with all their washing up to do it in a shed in the cold.

We also lived in the van for 3-4 months and had no problems using all the facilities.

Does anyone actually use their shower or their toilet for number twos? (Not shower for number twos - ha). Most people I have spoken to don't. Why not?

Thanks

Les

I asked the same question when we started caravanning nt that long ago.

Cooking showering,dish washing and using the toilet as the manufacturers intended. If you use the chemicals for the loo as described then all is broken down .

As said several times before why pay for it if you are not going to use it !

Edited by Mr Green