Sign in to follow this  
martin & lynn

Expensive Car + Tatty Caravans

We started with a £600 Sprite Alpine in 1980 as that is all I could afford back then. Did I get any odd looks or people shunning us, no never. It was pulled by a company car but that was only a Vauxhall Chevette so matched the van. The next outfit 18 months later and the car (again company owned) and the van were new but did attract some odd looks as it was a 14 ft 6in van pulled by a little 1. 0 ltr Austin Metro and yes it was a legal tug. I have had new and old vans and never come across any class distinction on any site or rally but I always made sure my rig was as clean as it could be. I have seen some very dirty vans on my travels, some old some new, but have never made serious judgment on why they were like that. True you do wonder why they have been left to get that bad, with some having green algae covering a lot of the bodywork, but life is too short to worry about trifles like that. I do find the person with the older van is usually more chatty as he is there to enjoy himself and not to show how well he had done materially, but thats just what I have found.

Edited by Capricorn12

:goodpost:

Can't believe you are judging how others conduct their lives when it has no bearing on yours.

It's very clear when on sites, that the people with both new caravans and new cars on sites are in a minority. Most of us have either one or the other thats older, dictated by our personal finances or even it's importance in our lives.

I have both, car and van are both old but neither are older than me, can,t afford luxury items on my pension, won,t buy anything I can,t pay for, at least they both belong to me and not a finance company,

Rod

I find that a lot of people with expensive new toys that look down on others just have bigger HP repayments, see it every day in our trade. Mine well £5,000 worth of car would be £25,000 new now for the same model and a 1999 Sterling both paid for with cash not loans.

I find that a lot of people with expensive new toys that look down on others just have bigger HP repayments, see it every day in our trade. Mine well £5,000 worth of car would be £25,000 new now for the same model and a 1999 Sterling both paid for with cash not loans.

As screenman said above if we can not afford it we do not buy it we have sat there with ours happily knowing that it might be a calssic but it is all ours :)

I often wonder what the situation is when you see the above combo, I've just witnessed a £30k+ 5 series BMW leave the site towing an old van worth no more than 500 quid with matching proper number plates and not makeshift ones in the window. Isn't it funny how often you see this kind of thing,

Or is it just me?.........

MartinandLynn what rig do you have ?

Well my caravan is 51 years old, I try to keep it looking clean and tidy but im not overly fussy about it, no doubt some people would not see it's appeal but as long as it appeals to me then thats all that matters. I have towed it variously with a 1972 Triumph 2500, a 1980 Triumph Dolomite, a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer, a 2003 Land Rover Freelander and a 2003 Kia Carens, no doubt there will be other tow cars in the future as well as I intend on keeping the caravan for a long time. At some point I will purchase another Classic Triumph (taking a break from that side of things at the moment) and next year will probably swap the Kia bus for something newer and the caravan will be towed by both.

We could have newer or posher cars, we could have a swisher caravan, for various reasons we choose not too for the moment. As a wise poster above already said, i would hope people would judge us on our behavior, not our possessions.

Edited by Huff

I have both, car and van are both old but neither are older than me, can,t afford luxury items on my pension, won,t buy anything I can,t pay for, at least they both belong to me and not a finance company,

Rod

:goodpost::goodpost:

Edited by wigelywoo

The post is not about my rigs better than yours! my rig I've already mentioned. If you look thru the thread you will find out!

Not once have I put anyone down but I seem to have got a lot of people's backs up. All you people chill out and don't be so tetchy, be like the few on here that read this post for what it was meant to be and UNDERSTOOD it properly instead of spreading yr misery and getting offended because you have an older caravan. i shall say no more as too many have missed the point completely and doubt will ever get it.

Those that contributed constructively - many thanks. Those that were offended, YOU understood it wrong.

Have a lovely day folks!

I often wonder what the situation is when you see the above combo, I've just witnessed a £30k+ 5 series BMW leave the site towing an old van worth no more than 500 quid with matching proper number plates and not makeshift ones in the window. Isn't it funny how often you see this kind of thing,

Or is it just me?.........

Would you like to explain how you see the word

FUNNY

It's nothing to do with the cost of the van, it's the state that some of them turn up in. e. g. green mould all over them! It's not hard to wash a van. I see it every year in Keswick in July - there's a certain festival/convention there and it draws out all these manky old vans that are obviously just kept for this purpose as it's cheaper than B&B probably. They go on to very expenisve sites - but then fill the vans up with two or three families with awning extensions etc.

Here is one situation

Nostalgia, an old van you spent time in as a child, or with your parents who don't use it anymore,but it is still in the family.

Hi,

i would be willing to bet that regardless of age or cost,two caravans going down the motorway,one clean and tidy and the other looking like its never been cleaned in a long time, which one the vostapo will pull over.

Duncan

Just to add that i took no offence at the original comment, I only posted about my own situation to highlight that everyone is different, has their own priorities and values etc.

The comments about clean vs dirty caravans, I can see both sides, for me personally I like to keep my van and cars fairly clean, but I'm not fastidious about it, if I was pushed for time and didn't get round to doing it before going away then it wouldn't bother me, I might give it a wipe over once on site instead.

No offence taken here martin & lynn, but your post reminds me of a simmilar situation many years ago when we were pitched up on site and an old landrover towing a Mistral Scout pulled up beside us.

To say the whole rig was neglected was an understatement.

It was chuckng it down with rain and we noticed the van didn't have a door.

I went out with my waterproof on and mentioned it to the driver, who said,

"no worries mate, it's in the back of the Landy, we lost it on the M6 and I had to stop while the Mrs picked it up from the slow lane".

Thing is we were on a caravin site in Herlech.

I offered my assistance to refit the door if they wanted it.

He said that wasn't required as the door no longer fitted thevan after being run over by several HGV's.

On a good note though we spent several great days pitched beside the couple who were the brightest and most humerous company anyone on a caravan site could ask for.

The post is not about my rigs better than yours! my rig I've already mentioned. If you look thru the thread you will find out!
Not once have I put anyone down but I seem to have got a lot of people's backs up. All you people chill out and don't be so tetchy, be like the few on here that read this post for what it was meant to be and UNDERSTOOD it properly instead of spreading yr misery and getting offended because you have an older caravan. i shall say no more as too many have missed the point completely and doubt will ever get it.
Those that contributed constructively - many thanks. Those that were offended, YOU understood it wrong.
Have a lovely day folks!

Hi,

i would be willing to bet that regardless of age or cost,two caravans going down the motorway,one clean and tidy and the other looking like its never been cleaned in a long time, which one the vostapo will pull over.

Duncan

So.

The person with the dirty caravan can then drive on knowing he has a safe unit

I don't have to explain anything thanks.

Where will you holiday this summer

Haeevaan

Mab- le torpy

PS what van and car do you have?

Well you certainly are

THE CAR: Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 Seats Auto . TowTrust detachable towbar with dedicated 13pin electrics, Milenco Grand Aero mirrors.

TOWING: Bailey Pegasus S2 Ancona . Powrtouch mover model 3 heavy duty. Kampa Rally 390 Plus. Kampa Rally Air 390 on order

No just work very hard to get it. ....oh and HP CLEAR!!

On a footnote, whilst away at Easter a guy pulled up on the next pitch to mine with a 20+ year old caravan and was struggling to manoeuvre it into position. Seeing the snob I am, I offered assistance and helped them onto the pitch with it. I might judge a caravan on first sight but NOT the people. I don't have a 'them and us' mentality. I have only said in this thread about the poor condition some people take their caravans away in which can be absolutely filthy, bits falling off it, lights not working. If I could not afford a new caravan then I'd certainly put the effort into making my older one looking as nice and as clean as possible. But hey thats just me, i take care of the possessions i own. Whether that van cost £250 or £25000 it would get the same TLC, probably more if it was older. And I would certainly make sure it's safe for the roads, Hense my VOSA mention

Never been on a haven site and never been to mablethorpe? (Why?), probably north of scotland wigelywoo not decided yet. Are you throwing stones like a naughty child???

Me and the wife wouldn't caravan if that's what we had to tow.

Does that make us snobs?

Snob? Yes, I'm afraid it does; and that is about as irrelevant as posting such a subject on here.

Snob? Yes, I'm afraid it does; and that is about as irrelevant as posting such a subject on here.

I would of said more pride. But I can see myself and the OP have stirred a hornets nest here. Given my thoughts, shot down for them.

End of

It's nothing to do with the cost of the van, it's the state that some of them turn up in. e. g. green mould all over them! It's not hard to wash a van. I see it every year in Keswick in July - there's a certain festival/convention there and it draws out all these manky old vans that are obviously just kept for this purpose as it's cheaper than B&B probably. They go on to very expenisve sites - but then fill the vans up with two or three families with awning extensions etc.

Actually - it is, we both work full time, have a family, and what little spare time we have we don't want to be washing the van all the time, would rather be away in it looking at the surrounding countryside

won,t buy anything I can,t pay for, at least they both belong to me and not a finance company,

Rod

:goodpost: Well said, us too ;)

Old caravan or new caravan both have the same result = Enjoyment ?.

IMO I think people can get more enjoyment out of a older caravan than a new one as they are not worried about damp or damage or being stolen and large money tied up in it servicing and insurace and depriciation . They can make it their own without worring about can I screw anything up without invalidating a warranty .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Actually - it is, we both work full time, have a family, and what little spare time we have we don't want to be washing the van all the time, would rather be away in it looking at the surrounding countryside

:goodpost: Well said, us too ;)

We both work too - lots of us do! It doesn't stop us washing the van. I repeat, it is not hard to wash a van - just like it's not hard to wash in the morning. So I presume you'd be happy going on holiday with a green mouldy van then. ...

We both work too - lots of us do! It doesn't stop us washing the van. I repeat, it is not hard to wash a van - just like it's not hard to wash in the morning. So I presume you'd be happy going on holiday with a green mouldy van then. ...

it's not against the law to holiday in an unwashed caravan. Personally I like to give mine the once over before we go away but thats just me, who really cares? I'll admit that on the odd occasion time has got away from me and I have gone away without washing the van. ........ nothing happened :D

Relax man, lifes too short to worry about a bit of mold. ..........

Sign in to follow this