Sign in to follow this  
martin & lynn

Expensive Car + Tatty Caravans

I often wonder what the situation is when you see the above combo, I've just witnessed a £30k+ 5 series BMW leave the site towing an old van worth no more than 500 quid with matching proper number plates and not makeshift ones in the window. Isn't it funny how often you see this kind of thing,

Or is it just me?.........

Probably a site van

Not just that but when the van is also covered in green algae. The pull onto the pitch and throw out from inside the white patio set!

Also any not veering to off topic is when I see some car/caravan combinations. I often say to the wife "how the hell can that car tow that big caravan?"

Edited by Scaramanga

Possibly used once or twice a year, why have thousands stood around if its hardly used.

Not everyone can afford an expensive car and caravan. It might have been company car. Does it really matter.

maybe a company car, i used to tow with mine

Edited by SP1

Not everyone can afford an expensive car and caravan. It might have been company car. Does it really matter.

Me and the wife wouldn't caravan if that's what we had to tow.

Does that make us snobs?

Does it matter what van you have, as long as you have fun.

Scaramanga you're spot on! The cars will be totally gleaming not a speck on them, yet the vans look like they've not been washed in 6 years! Obviously image conscious and vain when it comes to the motor yet happy to pull around a pile of moss on wheels!!

well i fit perfectly into your category :blush:

£50k landrover discovery dragging an £800 20 year old avondale!

my reason. ......... dipping toe in water to see if i like it before spending a large sum of cash on a new one.

i have cleaned and polished it and carried out some tidying up of the exterior so it looks fine, inside has all we want, kitchen, shower loo, heating and hot water.

suits me fine :D

No you don't!! You've cleaned and polished it! :P

Dcorran. ..That's my point answered in part, obviously an element of these combos are people trying it out before taking the plunge, but you have at least spruced things up a bit beforehand I hope you're enjoying it.

Exactly. Who cares what the van's like - as long as it's safe and we are having fun :)

Sorry but is this a bit of snobbishness creeping through?

I have a company car that cost over £20,000 new. I tow an early '90s caravan with it. We are happy with the van as it is in good condition inside and suits us and as it will possibly only get used 4 or 5 times a year why invest a huge amount of money just so it can sit in the garden and be admired.

Quite frankly I really couldn't care less if it's a bit dirty and scratched on the outside, or are we in a "mines better than yours contest"

(Oh and the two do look a bit odd together but it is all well within the legal limits)

Dcorran. ..That's my point answered in part, obviously an element of these combos are people trying it out before taking the plunge, but you have at least spruced things up a bit beforehand I hope you're enjoying it.

But surely if they were image con

£50k landrover discovery dragging an £800 20 year old avondale!

my reason. ......... dipping toe in water to see if i like it before spending a large sum of cash on a new one.

i have cleaned and polished it and carried out some tidying up of the exterior so it looks fine, inside has all we want, kitchen, shower loo, heating and hot water.

Exactly what we did right at the beginning of our caravanning holidays!! Started with a 1984 Buccanneer which cost £500 being towed by Discovery 1 and now we own a 10 year old Abbey and tow with a Discovery 4!! Maybe we should upgrade our van to suit the Disco 4 as being 10 years old its surely a classic!! :D

dcorran You look after that "Avondale" best caravans about :D

I don't think the issue is with the age. Not with me certainly. But the lack of care or pride that some people have. More the visual appearance.

Perhaps VOSA are snobs aswell?

Can't believe you are judging how others conduct their lives when it has no bearing on yours.

It's very clear when on sites, that the people with both new caravans and new cars on sites are in a minority. Most of us have either one or the other thats older, dictated by our personal finances or even it's importance in our lives.

dcorran You look after that "Avondale" best caravans about :D

Bit of nostalgia for you. In getting my van serviced at the old Avondale factory next week

I have a new car £18k towing a 1992 2 berth caravan. It was all that I could afford to invest, knowing that I would only be using it 6 or so times a year.

I didnt think that I would be judged on car age vs caravan age!

There could be numerous possibilities, not that any "matter", such as first time caravanners - spend £500, have a few holidays and if you don't like it, even throwing the caravan away would in reality mean very little has been lost.

Russell

What's wrong with that? Why should they have to shell out £15 to 20K if their old 'van is adequate? and why should it bother anyone else? I think there are some very rude people posting here today.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Bit of nostalgia for you. In getting my van serviced at the old Avondale factory next week

So am I on the 22 april As they have serviced my "Avondale" for the last 12 years 8 at coventry and 4 there

Edited by Rita

Sign in to follow this