Cheap Calor Gas 6Kg Propane Cylinders

chris ray

We're not complete newbies (3rd Season) but I've only replaced a 6kg Calor cylinder once. I thought the cost was very high. I've read the large number of posts about the benefits/risks of self fill cylinders, enough to scare me off the idea!

So, my question is: Can anyone suggest a low cost place to swap my (almost) empty cylinder for a full one??

Thanks in advance.

Chris Ray

Hi Chris,

If you used 1 x 6kg cylinder in your first 2 seasons your averaging £9 per season. The best you will do is sve a couple of quid off that so is I worth bothering fo the price of a pint?

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena

Not sure where the cheapest suppliers are - but I renewed one last week from Go Outdoors. Using my membership card (free to obtain) it was £19. 80. I think I used three 6kg cylinders last year in total.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Chris,

If you used 1 x 6kg cylinder in your first 2 seasons your averaging £9 per season. The best you will do is sve a couple of quid off that so is I worth bothering fo the price of a pint?

I would love to live where you do if you can get a piint for a couple of quid.

Steve W

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Best thing is to ring round all your nearby outlets and ask the price. . Hire shops and builders merchants sometimes are much cheaper for the heavy steel 6kgs.

Go Outdoors cards are £5 per annum http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/go-outdoors-discount-card-p112554?nMob=1

Wetherspoons pints are as cheap as you'll get, usually, but the price of a pint varies enormously throughout the country.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Yes small gas cylinders are a rip off.

I pay around 22 pounds for a 6 kg lite calor but only 25 pounds for a 13kg calor.

I use the big one for my seasonal pitch and tour with the six.

Be aware if tempted to go large that the 13kg is a back breaker to shift. The bloke at Go outdoors offered to carry mine to the car and he was ruined by the time we got to my car.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

WOW. ......I have used 15kgs so far this year on three weekends, one with some EHU assistance. .......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Have you got a leak?????????????? :lol::lol:

WOW. ......I have used 15kgs so far this year on three weekends, one with some EHU assistance. .......

geoff

Hi Chris,

Hi iDriver. Well that certainly ain't Draught Guinness then. Is it?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

off EHU we use 1 x 6kg every 7 or 8 days. Cooking, fridge, daily water heating and occasional heating. Probably our biggest expence on field sites. Friend suggested bigger bottles to us, but ours is a post 2004 van with a high pressure hose from the bottle to a regulator in the van front box, so an external bottle is not possible (or is it?).

Unfortunatly when you are away from populated areas there is no shopping arround.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Yes small gas cylinders are a rip off.

I pay around 22 pounds for a 6 kg lite calor but only 25 pounds for a 13kg calor.

I use the big one for my seasonal pitch and tour with the six.

Be aware if tempted to go large that the 13kg is a back breaker to shift. The bloke at Go outdoors offered to carry mine to the car and he was ruined by the time we got to my car.

Yes to the back breaker - we use 13kg versions but they are awkward to carry and can be an absolute hum dunger to juggle into the locker. That said they are good value - I think our last one was £22 or £23 - so less than the Calor "suggested" price of £25. 49. 13kg is 26 litres, so call it £1 per litre. Autogas at the pumps is about 75p per litre, so I think it is fair value for money.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Have you got a leak?????????????? :lol::lol:

No. ..we use the cooker for meals not storage and we like to keep warm. ......normally have 2 x 11kg bottles with us,

geoff

I would love to live where you do if you can get a piint for a couple of quid.

Steve W

Magners Cider from Tesco, stored in the 'van fridge ;-)

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena

Magners Cider from Tesco, stored in the 'van fridge ;-)

Yuk, I thought it was beer we were talking about.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Do you do a lot of off-hookup rallying Geoff?

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

off EHU we use 1 x 6kg every 7 or 8 days. Cooking, fridge, daily water heating and occasional heating. Probably our biggest expence on field sites. Friend suggested bigger bottles to us, but ours is a post 2004 van with a high pressure hose from the bottle to a regulator in the van front box, so an external bottle is not possible (or is it?).

Unfortunatly when you are away from populated areas there is no shopping arround.

We use a 13kg & can almost empty it in a fortnight with the cooking, heating, showers and pot washing etc

It was about £25 last year

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Do you do a lot of off-hookup rallying Geoff?

Russell

About 95% is sans ehu Rusty. ......BUT this year I think that we might get the cables out three times. ......luxury. ......

geoff

we get ours from a local builders yard £14. 95p, whatever you do dont get it from a petrol station round here approx £25.

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

Builders merchants and roofing materials suppliers are amongst the cheapest I have found.

At my local builders merchant, 6kg Propane Steel refill £13. 65.

Been at that price for sometime now

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em