Shocked & Didnt Realise

milkymarsh

As we havent made it away this weekend, thought best to get everything lined up for when we go away in a month's time. One of those things was to weigh everything going back into the van. Never done it before & am now totally shocked:

Allowed Payload for van 178kg

What I worked out:

1. Mover - 42kg

2. Awning - 35kg (allowed for full one rather than porch)

3. Wastemaster - 5. 3kg

4. Aquaroll - 4kg

5. Awning Carpet - 5. 6kg

6. Plates/Bowls - 6. 2kg

7. Cutlery - 2. 3kg

8. Cups etc - 5. 7kg

9. Cooking pans/dishes etc - 8kg

10. Toaster/Kettle/Mats - 6. 9kg

11. Towing Cover - 2. 2kg

12. Caravan levels - 1. 9kg

13. Chemicals - 4. 6kg

14. Awning Table - 5kg

15. Chairs x 4 - 15. 6kg

16. Washing Line - 3kg

17. Awning Pegs (two sets) - 8kg

18. Bits & bobs for set up - 4kg

Totting things up, thats already taken me over my limit! Quite frightening really & unless doing this I would have blissfully carried on this year, as I now know I would have been over the weight limits on my previous van last year.

Really made me think about what you take & this doesnt even allow for putting the bedding in the van or some things in the fridge.

I know I can move some things to the car to help out a bit, but I'm assuming that the van automatically allows for the gas bottles & battery (please shout if its not & that will set me even further over the limit). Also unsure if the waste master and aquarolls are catered for in the main van weights?

Now seriously considering a max weight uplift & rehash of the things that go in the van (need to be careful as SWMBO loads up the car to the max as it is!).

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Agree with what you have put, but 2 things, how did you weigh your movers, or did you look up the spec, and at 3kg, that's one hell of a washing line!

As we havent made it away this weekend, thought best to get everything lined up for when we go away in a month's time. One of those things was to weigh everything going back into the van. Never done it before & am now totally shocked:

Allowed Payload for van 178kg

What I worked out:

1. Mover - 42kg

2. Awning - 35kg (allowed for full one rather than porch)

3. Wastemaster - 5. 3kg

4. Aquaroll - 4kg

5. Awning Carpet - 5. 6kg

6. Plates/Bowls - 6. 2kg

7. Cutlery - 2. 3kg

8. Cups etc - 5. 7kg

9. Cooking pans/dishes etc - 8kg

10. Toaster/Kettle/Mats - 6. 9kg

11. Towing Cover - 2. 2kg

12. Caravan levels - 1. 9kg

13. Chemicals - 4. 6kg

14. Awning Table - 5kg

15. Chairs x 4 - 15. 6kg

16. Washing Line - 3kg

17. Awning Pegs (two sets) - 8kg

18. Bits & bobs for set up - 4kg

Totting things up, thats already taken me over my limit! Quite frightening really & unless doing this I would have blissfully carried on this year, as I now know I would have been over the weight limits on my previous van last year.

Really made me think about what you take & this doesnt even allow for putting the bedding in the van or some things in the fridge.

I know I can move some things to the car to help out a bit, but I'm assuming that the van automatically allows for the gas bottles & battery (please shout if its not & that will set me even further over the limit). Also unsure if the waste master and aquarolls are catered for in the main van weights?

Now seriously considering a max weight uplift & rehash of the things that go in the van (need to be careful as SWMBO loads up the car to the max as it is!).

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

I can't give any recommendations but thank you for reminding me that I am going to do exactly the same thing, ie weigh all the things I carry and check that I am not exceeding the limit. The reason that I am on the forum this evening is that I am trying to find a local weighbridge to take the entire outfit to find out what it all weighs. Thanks to your breakdown, which is probably quite representative, I think I need to raise the priority of this particular task.

Agree with what you have put, but 2 things, how did you weigh your movers, or did you look up the spec, and at 3kg, that's one hell of a washing line!

Think the mover is circa 38-40kg, but I added on a couple for safety. Ref washing line, 3kg isnt a lot when you put things on the scales!! You weigh your crockery & it will frighten you!

I am doing exactly the same thing as I write this post its surprising how things add up!!!!

you would have to check the manufactures manual for guidance if the spare and gas are included mine aren't and are having to include them in my payload!!!!!!

anyway gonna finish me beer!!!

You really need to take the van to a weigh bridge & find out what it weighs with out all of the items on your list in the van. ..

Or invest in one of these . ......

http://www. halfords. com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=722809&catalogId=10151

It takes all of the guessing out how the van is loaded side to side & calculates the vans max weight . ....

It might sound a bit expensive, but it will work out cheaper than a fine & a few points on your licence. ....

Being new to the game last year I took particular care on loading to keep within limits, having access to a weighbridge I weighed the unit before each trip last year.

Gives me a good idea of what I can and cannot carry as the van is fully laden.

Could be worth a trip to a weigh bridge to be sure?

Last time we weighed ours it was 1360, maximum MTPLM is 1492. So we're safe for now! Always aware of what goes in the van though.

One thing that might help is if you can get a MTPLM upgrade assuming that will keep you within the capability of your outfit and your driving license.

2005 Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI 130 2007 Mondeo Ghia X 2. 0 TDCI 130 + 1991 Bailey Scorpio Avallon 2005 Ace Jubilee Courier

I had to allow 17kg for my battery, Aquarol was only 3kg and the Wastemaster was 1kg. Remember to add in the television, ours was 7kg nearly forgot as in the pull down unit.

I brought a Caravan Wright Control just before Christmas from these people.

http://www. obelink. co. uk/car-caravan-accessories/chassis/caravan-weight-control. html

They work well!

2005 Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI 130 2007 Mondeo Ghia X 2. 0 TDCI 130 + 1991 Bailey Scorpio Avallon 2005 Ace Jubilee Courier

I brought a Caravan Wright Control just before Christmas from these people.

http://www. obelink. co. uk/car-caravan-accessories/chassis/caravan-weight-control. html

They work well!

Are they accurate?

I see there are no fridge contents in that list and you want at least 10kg each for clothes unless they go in the car too. The problem I find is that with 2 dogs in the boot I end up loading the backseat which means in the event of an accident I'm gonna get a lot of weight hitting the back of the front seats.

After seeing the state of a car and caravan outfit being hitched onto wagons on the M5 today (poor sod) I beginning to think I need a new plan.

If you want a ready-made spreadsheet to adapt to your own weights just drop me a PM with your email and I'll send a copy as an attachment. It covers both car and van plus train weight.

Today I upgraded the spreadsheet so it also acts as a checklist for loading.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I see there are no fridge contents in that list and you want at least 10kg each for clothes unless they go in the car too. The problem I find is that with 2 dogs in the boot I end up loading the backseat which means in the event of an accident I'm gonna get a lot of weight hitting the back of the front seats.

After seeing the state of a car and caravan outfit being hitched onto wagons on the M5 today (poor sod) I beginning to think I need a new plan.

We put our beardie in a big canvas crate on collapsed rear seats . The rest of the heavy gear goes in the boot behind the dog guard and includes awning and poles, aquaroll, wastemaster and tool kit. In the event of heavy braking or worse the heavy stuff is behind a strong meash guard and the canvas crate is so big it won't fit past the front seatbacks.

Our Yaris Verso is even better and we could get one beardie in the boot, held safely by a dog guard, then a dog crate on the collapsed rear seat with another beardie in it. On top of the crate was our large suitcase which was retained in place by a luggage mesh behind the front seats. No danger of anything sliding forward in an emergency.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If you want a ready-made spreadsheet to adapt to your own weights just drop me a PM with your email and I'll send a copy as an attachment. It covers both car and van plus train weight.

Today I upgraded the spreadsheet so it also acts as a checklist for loading.

On its way. Was going to make one tomorrow!

On another note, I need to include for battery, but I only have one gas bottle, travel without water in the tanks so that should allow for the battery weight.

I do have a 15kg overlap for optional extras that I could use as mine doesn't have those (but have prob used 4kg of that on insulation!)

Subneutral - that's my prob, bedding and food! That would put me way over. ..

Some manufacturers intentionally keep the quoted MTPLM relatively low in order that their vans may be legally towed by modest sized vehicles. In some cases the manufacturer will issue (usually at a cost!) an upgraded 'Weight Plate' with a higher MTPLM on it. The maximum figure for this will depend upon the rating of the caravan chassis, the axle and its suspension units, and the tyres.

The axle unit normally has a separate plate on it with its maximum rating, and the tyres will have a maximum load rating also. If you check these two items yourself and they area above your current MTPLM plated figure, it could be worth a phone call to Bailey to see if they will uprate the MTPLM and at what cost. They should also be able to tell you the (increased) correct pressure for the tyres with a larger MTPLM.

Assuming that your caravan is currently not plated at its maximum and a reasonable increase in the MTPLM is possible, the charge for an uprated plate could be one answer to your problem.

Regards,

David

Just found that I can get another 50kg allowance on the payload through the bailey parts website for £63. Annoying that it's in effect a sticker just to make you legal when the chassis can take it already.

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/Product. aspx?PartNumber=1190144

This would sort things though and bring everything back legal, so prob worth it

Edited by milkymarsh

And each litre of water in the pipes is another 1kg.

I'm gonna have to get mine weighed properly so I can see just what I can load it with.

Are they accurate?

I have yet to check the CWC with a weighbridge, but doing some calculations based on items carried in the van the CWC and calculations are with-in a few 10's of KGs.

Only real way of finding out is take the van to a weighbridge which I do intend to do since I discovered a public weigh bridge not more than 5 miles from home last week while picking up a bottle of gas for this weekend.

Checking a few known weights with the CWC gave positive readings.

I have read that even some weigh bridges have a tolerance of 3% and VOSA will only prosecute at 5%. Could be a lot of internet hearsay in that statement.

Personally I'd rather stay safe for the sake of my family and others sharing the same road space. I think the CWC helps.

We can uprate the MTPLM of our van but we only gain something 6/7kg. How much you can add depends on which chassis the manufacturer used and how much capacity was "spare"

It seems the ACE used the same chassis and a number of other smaller caravans in their range as they all have a possible MTPLM of 1500.

One thing you may want to check out when you upgrade your MTPLM is your tyres. Check the tyres you have fitted can handle the extra load. You may also have to inflate to a higher pressure.

I paid the upgrade for mine last week and it was only for an extra 23kg, but hey, every little helps.

Just found that I can get another 50kg allowance on the payload through the bailey parts website for £63. Annoying that it's in effect a sticker just to make you legal when the chassis can take it already.
https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/Product. aspx?PartNumber=1190144
This would sort things though and bring everything back legal, so prob worth it

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

I like the idea of using one of these, but does it give the total weight for the van? what about the weight that is on the nose of the van ie the weight put upon the towball. I used a local drive on weigh bridge and thought I was in my total van limit, then a friend of mine said I was only weighing on 2 points of contact, actually 4 as its a twin axle, but I knew what he ment, so I took it to a council weight bridge where you uncouple the van and it gives you the correct total weight of the van and I nearly died. An extra 85Kg . That equated to the total nose weight of the van extra . Hence now awning /poles and various items travel in the car and we had a weight shedding exercise using some digital luggage scales.

You really need to take the van to a weigh bridge & find out what it weighs with out all of the items on your list in the van. ..

Or invest in one of these . ......

http://www. halfords. com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=722809&catalogId=10151

It takes all of the guessing out how the van is loaded side to side & calculates the vans max weight . ....

It might sound a bit expensive, but it will work out cheaper than a fine & a few points on your licence. ....

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

The CWC does give a total for the whole unit. You weigh each wheel in turn and then the jockey wheel to get the total weight, each time you weigh you then go onto the next 'wheel' as indicated on the display. At the end you get a total.

The only thing isif you use it for getting an accurate NW you still need to use it in conjunction with the brrom handle method, as weighing at the jockey wheel will not give you an accurate NW, unless you can do some experimenting on how much it add's / decreases depending where your weighing from.

Some folk say they are not accurate, but most of the weigh bridges i have been to only read to the nearest 20kg. And our cwc compared to a quarry weigh bridge was more accurate. (i have not been to a vosa approved bridge with the caravan)

Edited by clairendave

Thanks for that info . :goodpost:

The CWC does give a total for the whole unit. You weigh each wheel in turn and then the jockey wheel to get the total weight, each time you weigh you then go onto the next 'wheel' as indicated on the display. At the end you get a total.
The only thing isif you use it for getting an accurate NW you still need to use it in conjunction with the brrom handle method, as weighing at the jockey wheel will not give you an accurate NW, unless you can do some experimenting on how much it add's / decreases depending where your weighing from.
Some folk say they are not accurate, but most of the weigh bridges i have been to only read to the nearest 20kg. And our cwc compared to a quarry weigh bridge was more accurate. (i have not been to a vosa approved bridge with the caravan)

We are still waiting for a new van to be delivered after 5 months ! Unloaded the current one and was really surprised at the weight of some stuff although didn't actually weigh everything.

Also found things that we religiously carry and haven't used for years !

Over 30 years ago when people seemed less fussed about weights an old boy once told me to make the car as heavy as possible and the caravan as light as possible and to this day we do this.

Fill the car up first and although there is only the two of us always have the back seat down. Never ever have the full awning in the caravan because of it's weight. Keeping the caravan relatively clear does help if you want to use the facilities en route or if you arrive at your destination in the pouring rain !

Bill