Where Do You Wash It ?

Daveg

Im interested to know how often and where everyone washes there vans. (maybe im sad !)

I dont want to bring mine to the house to wash, instead i may do it at storage yard if I buy a long enough hose

However theres the possability of doing this on a site or is it frowned upon. ? CC ?

Any one ever used a car jet wash in a petrol station ?

Thanks

David

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im interested to know how often and where everyone washes there vans. (maybe im sad !)

I dont want to bring mine to the house to wash, instead i may do it at storage yard if I buy a long enough hose

However theres the possability of doing this on a site or is it frowned upon. ? CC ?

Thanks

David

We have a similar problem in that there's no room at home and the storage site won't allow it. We've resorted to parking in a layby and doing it there (taking warm water in the Aquaroll) but I'm sure there's a better solution.

Jet washes can be very penetrating and I'd hesitate before using one on a caravan. However, it may be OK if you don't point it directly at the van but allow it to "rain" down on it?

I've never really asked at a site - we tend to use CLs which are grass so may not be so good an idea. And anyway we're usually too busy to spend our time washing caravans. ......

First we keep the van at home; I usually wash it as part of the arriving home ritual, the driveway isn't big enough to allow for washing so it gets washed on the road before being tucked up the driveway at the side of the house. The only bit that hasn't been washed is the roof, since there is no where safe enough to work from a set of steps. I use one of those longhandled brushes so I reach onto the roof as far as I can, but I know that leaves an unwashed band in the middle.

I think there are probably quite a few folks who have difficulty washing their vans, I wonder if there isn't an opportunity here for sites to offer a wash bay, maybe including a gantry that would allow safe and easy access to the roof.

Do dealers offer this service? These days any self respecting car dealership will always give your car a good wash and vac as part of a service, wouldn't it be nice if caravan dealers did the same. .....there again I'm forgetting that caravan dealers still live in the dark ages and customer care and satisfaction is not something they generally seem bothered about. ....

Mine used to come home to be washed, but had issues with plod last summer, so now wash it in storage.

I use a hand pumped garden sprayer, bought from Towsure. It holds about a gallon at a time, and you just put the water heater on gas whilst you are cleaning it, so plenty of hot water. As this is the only time I have used the water heater on gas. Good to know it actually works.

Andrew

Do dealers offer this service?

Yes they do but at a price - I seem to remember £40 last time we had it done which struck me as very steep.

I took mine to the local ASDA. It has one of those car washes which has a brush on the end of a hose which dispenses the soap and another one which is used to rinse the vehicle. I checked with them to see if it was ok to wash a caravan and they said no problem. The wash in the Newport ASDA has a big enough area to turn around in, so, no problem manoeuvering. I found that it takes 2 - 3 wash tokens to clean the caravan. Hope your local one is just as accomodating!!!!

Mikey :)

ThanksDavid

It seem to me that the 'hand carwash' outlets that are springing up all over the place are missing a trick. These appear to be the ideal places to get your 'van washed. The only question is: how much? For me about £10 - 15 for a straight wash with a complete valet for ?

How much would you be comfortable in paying?

Mike

We wash ours on the drive at home, a full wash maybe 2-3 times/year, but the front gets a wash & wipe down more often. using Fenwicks Bobby dazzler seems to help prevent the dirt from settling & being difficult to remove.

I don't use a jet wash, as I've read it is too high pressure & might get through the seals etc on a van. Just a big bucket, Autoglym car shampoo, and one of the extending brushes on a pole (£9 from Barrons)

Some CC sites do have caravan washing bays, but these are the exception, not the rule. Some sites are quite clear not to wash vans on the pitches, but it would always be wise to ask first.

There's a hand car wash near us which offers this service, but I've never even asked how much it is. We bring ours from storage, park it in the lane at the rear of the house, then use a hose etc. Much better when we kept it at home, but can't do that now.

Hi, we mainly wash the caravan about three times a year properly, a site with super pitche's we use are quite accomadating to let us use a hose as long as its not left on to long, so when we do this i take a bucket and shampoo all the van with fenwicks caravan shampoo (we have a collapsable stepladder that fits nicely in the boot of the car so i can get to the roof with a mop) then to rinse it we connect our hose to one of those flash car wash kits (because the water spray is not to harsh on the seals) then do a spot free polish finish from the from the flash car wash kit . But mainly when we arrive on most sites we wipe the van down with a damp sponge to try to keep the black streaks down from the windows :)

My van lives under a canopy adjoining the house, but even so, the roof gets filthy after only a few weeks. Maybe because of the boiler exhaust being close by. I wash the van after every outing before parking close to the house wall. During my recent journey to Southern Spain the car and front and rear of the van became very dirty. Near Madrid, hoping that I was through the worst of the weather, I pulled into a filling station where there were some DIY pressure washers. It did a great job on the car and van for only a couple of Euros.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The washing of the caravan is a strange ritual isn't it!! We have just a hose and will be getting a soft brush, we have Fenwicks & Bobby Dazzler but until now we have used bucket and sponge. Hubby does the centre of the roof (where I can't reach) and I do the rest of the van by bucket and sponge in hand. It takes a long time but is very satisfying to see it shine :rolleyes: I am waiting for the first opportunity to use the hose.

Emma

The place where i store it has its own wash station and you can help yourself. They even have a pressure washer and tyre compressor as well.

As it is stored undercover i tend to wash it before i put it in and then it is clean ready for the next off.

Does cost me £5 per week though !!!!

maxii

Not sad at all David.

Our caravan gets a good wash and polish about every couple of months, and a quick hosing down asap after a muddy rally.

Last cleaned during the Christmas holls - now that's sad!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Mine used to come home to be washed, but had issues with plod last summer, so now wash it in storage.

I use a hand pumped garden sprayer, bought from Towsure. It holds about a gallon at a time, and you just put the water heater on gas whilst you are cleaning it, so plenty of hot water. As this is the only time I have used the water heater on gas. Good to know it actually works.

Andrew

Out of interest - what was the issue with the Law ?

I wash ours at home before I put it back in storage - usually a quick 30min wash and then away (i. e. not stored at home overnight)

Out of interest - what was the issue with the Law ?

I wash ours at home before I put it back in storage - usually a quick 30min wash and then away (i. e. not stored at home overnight)

Would imagine obstruction of highway(highway includes footpaths)

I could do this too, but standing on steps washing the roof in the road does not seem too sensible !

Noticed Sybil that you also have a Bretagne how do you find it ?

Any rear condensation problems ?? :)

Thanks

David

I wash my caravan normally three - four times a year, using caravan shampoo and long handled soft brush, thgen rinse down with water from hose pipe.

David I notice you have a Bailey caravan. In my Owners manual, section 5. 1. 1 it specifically state ' The use of high pressure water jets to clean your caravan will invalidate your warranty', so beware.

I wash my caravan normally three - four times a year, using caravan shampoo and long handled soft brush, thgen rinse down with water from hose pipe.

David I notice you have a Bailey caravan. In my Owners manual, section 5. 1. 1 it specifically state ' The use of high pressure water jets to clean your caravan will invalidate your warranty', so beware.

Thanks for that Oldtimer, I certainly will not take that approach now .

Guess my daughters will have to earn their pocket money now !!1LOL

Oldtimer is spot on, don't use a jet wash it will damage the mastic seals etc. I was just about to add the same comment then scrolled through to make sure I wasn't repeating anything someone else had said when Oldtimer pops up with sound advice. Once again good sense prevails.

Bob

Would imagine obstruction of highway(highway includes footpaths)

I could do this too, but standing on steps washing the roof in the road does not seem too sensible !

Noticed Sybil that you also have a Bretagne how do you find it ?

Any rear condensation problems ?? :)

Pleased with the Van, though a little dark in the rear (I've seen previous posts on it & condensation on this forum)

but we do have some condensation, its a 2006 model, so it has the slatted bunks and shorter mattress, with a vent in the floor. But we still get some condensation, we've only had it for 4 months and the only times we've been away its been bitterly cold (-8 C) so I suppose some condensation is to be expected. How about you ? :)

Mine is lucky if it gets cleaned once a year. Its not that I dont mean to, but it is always such a big task, and it just gets mucky again when you take it out. May wash the new van a bit more regularly though.

Cheers

James

Mine gets washed once a year whether it needs it or not. .....by the dealer. I add it on to the service for £20. It comes back like new ready for another year.

If you've got time to wash it you've got time to go away in it. ...

If you do wash it yourself and have trouble getting to the roof why not put the ladders inside and poke yourself up through the skylight (aasuming it's big enough of course)

Pleased with the Van, though a little dark in the rear (I've seen previous posts on it & condensation on this forum)

but we do have some condensation, its a 2006 model, so it has the slatted bunks and shorter mattress, with a vent in the floor. But we still get some condensation, we've only had it for 4 months and the only times we've been away its been bitterly cold (-8 C) so I suppose some condensation is to be expected. How about you ? :)

Hi Sybil

Mine too is 2006 with slatted bed shelves and the vents etc.

Its amazing as mine is 4 months old and we too have only been away in the freezing weather.

I agree its dark in rear but pleased with van generally.

Had a faulty blind, and sometimes the hot water pump comes on for a second or two in the middle of night !

I have asked dealer to put another board at end of bunk and around the side, to keep mattress off wall.

I was getting condensation in rear panel also where the solid core is.

Had to put bin liner on bottom of matress to protect it.

Picking it up tommorow to go to clumber park for a few days so ill see what they have done and if it works.

My first real distance tow and first time with new awning.

Dave