Adria Battery Isolation

I have a 2005 Adria Adora 532LT

Overall I'm delighted with this caravan, and have just invested in a mover for it. However, on fitting, something came to light.

The battery was flat, a little worrying. Took the battery off while the mover was being fitted and connected it up to the car to charge it up (via jump leads). Fitted it back to the caravan, tested the mover, everything worked ok. Took some measurements though. ..when first connecting the battery, there is current flow of around 0. 7amp for a second or two, then this drops right down to 0. 06 amp (60mA).

So. ..two questions

1 Any idea what's drawing 60mA?

2 Is there a battery isolation switch on a Adria Adora? If so, where is it?

Hi Olderbutnotwiswer

I have been wondering the same thing about a battery isolator so as I can run a inverter from a second battery outside the van and plug in to the van through the blue plug but to do this you need to be able to turn the charger in the van off haven’t had time to get up to the van to have a look was hoping that mr sheens might be able o help us out with this as mine is the same van as yours I will try and get up to it at weekend and have a look how the battery is doing as it has been back in storage for he last three weeks so I will have a idea of how the battery is doing.

Regards

JON

Hi obnw,

We have an '05 Fleetwood Sonata (aka Adria Adora 532LD) it too does not appear to have a master switch. Has an isolation switch been fitted as part of the mover installation? There will be a small draw for the electronics that drive the receiver for the remote control. Our dealer 'goofed' when they fitted the mover because we specifically asked for the mover isolation switch to be fitted so that it was accessible form inside the van; the way we park it at home the offside sits within mm's of a fence so opening the battery compartment to operate the battery isolation is impossible. However that instruction was missed and so we are not able to isolate the mover when parked at home and as I say that does result in a small current drain. (had this confirmed by Reich)

I have a 2005 Adria Adora 532LT

Overall I'm delighted with this caravan, and have just invested in a mover for it.   However, on fitting, something came to light.

The battery was flat, a little worrying.   Took the battery off while the mover was being fitted and connected it up to the car to charge it up (via jump leads).  Fitted it back to the caravan, tested the mover, everything worked ok.   Took some measurements though. ..when first connecting the battery, there is current flow of around 0. 7amp for a second or two, then this drops right down to 0. 06 amp (60mA).

So. ..two questions

1 Any idea what's drawing 60mA?

2  Is there a battery isolation switch on a Adria Adora?  If so, where is it?

53136[/snapback]

Hi obnw

There is no 12volt isolation switch on the Adora but within the 12v fuse box there is a control management unit and a change over system which operates when you either plug into the mains or connect up the grey plug from the tow car.

When the grey plug is connected and the engine is started, it shuts down most of the 'vans 12 volt system except the supply to the fridge and the charge to the battery - so I would imagine this circuit is constantly monitoring voltage and drawing a small amount of current - maybe this is what has shown up on your meter. ..unfortunatly but there is no way of isolating it unless you disconnect the battery.

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Hi Olderbutnotwiswer

I have been wondering the same thing about a battery isolator so as I can run a inverter from a second battery outside the van and plug in to the van through the blue plug but to do this you need to be able to turn the charger in the van off haven’t had time to get up to the van to have a look was hoping that mr sheens might be able o help us out with this as mine is the same van as yours I will try and get up to it at weekend and have a look how the battery is doing as it has been back in storage for he last three weeks so I will have a idea of how the battery is doing.

Regards

JON

53191[/snapback]

Hi Jon,

No problem here as you can isolate the charger/power supply on the 240v fuse box and this will also isolate the water heater and lights, but it won't isolate the Truma space heater which appears to be on the same circuit breaker as the sockets - to be safe make sure the heater is switched off at the wall switch (or remove the fuse) before you connect the inverter to the 'vans sockets just in case :o

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

The problem with having the van at a storage site is that I don't have a mains power supply. I will have to wait until I next use the 'van (fortunately not too far away, going to Abbey Wood CC site on the 17th) to be able to measure the charge. ..as I also have a bit of a concern over possible overcharging.

I'll take the battery out at the weekend and see if I can get it tested. Then I'll bring it home and give it a good charge here overnight and refit it on Sunday. After that I'll take a meter with me next weekend and measure to voltage across the battery with the charging from the mains hook up.

Thanks for the replies everyone.