Alko Jack Question

Surf01

Although we have been caravanning for a number of years, we have never had to change a tyre or use a jack as we relied on Green Flag. Our 2011 Lunar Delta TI came supplied with an ALKO jack, but I have no idea if it can be used on the caravan as according to some posts, plates need to be fitted to the chassis for the jack to be used.

I have never even opened the pack containing the jack and have absolutely no idea what to do with it or how to use it even if I did take it out the pack. No issue with changing a car wheel.

I am asking now as our caravan is going into CASSOA bronze storage and we would prefer to have both ALKO secure locks fitted, however if it is a big hassle to jack up the caravan prefer to pay the extra on the insurance.

Do you need anything in addition to the jack and if so what do you do?

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

I would think either the brackets are already mounted or in the unopened pack, if mounted they will usually be between the wheel and the spare wheel mount.

See here for details

Derek

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/side-lift-jack-handbook-1000kgw. pdf

Depending on ground conditions a piece of 20mm ply as a base may be useful as well as chocks for the opposite wheel and the jockey unless you are going to still be hitched up, this will stop the van swinging when jacking up.

Edited by bordeauxderek

I would think either the brackets are already mounted or in the unopened pack, if mounted they will usually be between the wheel and the spare wheel mount.

See here for details

Derek

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/side-lift-jack-handbook-1000kgw. pdf

Depending on ground conditions a piece of 20mm ply as a base may be useful as well as chocks for the opposite wheel and the jockey unless you are going to still be hitched up, this will stop the van swinging when jacking up.

Thanks for the info, however it does raise some questions. Can the brackets be left on permanently? If you have a twin axle, do you need brackets to the front and rear of the wheels? i think I will need to check and see if brackets were supplied with the ALKO jack.

Lunar Delta TI

When all else fails.------------Read the instructions. ;)

Have you looked under the van to see if the brackets have been fitted? - there's a better than even chance that they would have been if a jack has been supplied with the van. I would also concur with Old Nick, a quick shufti at the instructions would probably help.

It's always a good idea to try these things out in the comfort and safety of your own home rather than waiting until desperation occurs at 3am when on the hard shoulder of the M4 in the pouring rain.

Edited by matelodave

As I understand if you 4wd movers fitted then the jacking points need to be removed and the Alko jack is useless. Please let me know if this is not correct?

I have a 2 tonne trolley jack that I carry with me.

If it is a 2011 Delta, the jack was part of the original spec and the brackets would have been fitted on the van as standard.

The brackets are designed to be left permanently in place, and to spread the load into the Alko chassis. If, however, your caravan were to be, let's say, a 2007 Coachman Amara 380/2, you might have found that Coachman had fitted a gas pipe right where the bracket needs to be, thus meaning that you can only fit half of it.

My complaint to Coachman was not even favoured with a response.

If it is a 2011 Delta, the jack was part of the original spec and the brackets would have been fitted on the van as standard.

Thanks Alan. I have never checked as it takes me forever to get back off the ground again and also I rely on Green Flag if any punctures.

Lunar Delta TI

Surf, if you got a mover on the rear axle the brackets will have been removed.

You can get adapter plate that fits on mover so you can still use the alko jack. I've got the plate but have never used it, Ive got 2 tonne trolley jack that fits nicely between the wheels and goes onto the axle carrier, the thick metal on the chassis.

I prefer this and after conversation with alko who said this is the best place to jack from, for added safety I've made U bracket which is fitted to the jack. stops jack slipping off chassis, got idea from member on here.

Biggest issue with twinaxles and wheel locks is if you need to fit locks and level van at that side and trolley jack becomes a useful as an ashtray on a motor bike or handbrake on a canoe :o . I get round this issue by having 2x 4ft scaffold boards if van needs raised on wheel lock side, drive van on one or 2 boards as required and it gives good base for jacking and lining locks up. ;)

Boards fit nicely in the boot of my Patrol.

:D

Surf, if you got a mover on the rear axle the brackets will have been removed.

You can get adapter plate that fits on mover so you can still use the alko jack. I've got the plate but have never used it, Ive got 2 tonne trolley jack that fits nicely between the wheels and goes onto the axle carrier, the thick metal on the chassis.

I prefer this and after conversation with alko who said this is the best place to jack from, for added safety I've made U bracket which is fitted to the jack. stops jack slipping off chassis, got idea from member on here.

Biggest issue with twinaxles and wheel locks is if you need to fit locks and level van at that side and trolley jack becomes a useful as an ashtray on a motor bike or handbrake on a canoe :o . I get round this issue by having 2x 4ft scaffold boards if van needs raised on wheel lock side, drive van on one or 2 boards as required and it gives good base for jacking and lining locks up. ;)

Boards fit nicely in the boot of my Patrol.

:D

Our mover operates the front wheels. When putting it into storage instead of faffing around with jacks etc which my wife will have to do, I thought of raising the caravan on the jockey wheel as high as possible, engaging the nearside mover on the front wheel and then using to to turn the wheel to line up the ALKO secure lock.

Lunar Delta TI

Our mover operates the front wheels. When putting it into storage instead of faffing around with jacks etc which my wife will have to do, I thought of raising the caravan on the jockey wheel as high as possible, engaging the nearside mover on the front wheel and then using to to turn the wheel to line up the ALKO secure lock.

Surf,

In the process of buying a new twin axle lunar lexon, which comes with two Alko wheel and I was also thinking of getting a mover fitted. Couple of question:

By fitting the mover to the front (didn't know this was possible thought it always had to be the rear. .. never had a mover before and don't know much about them) will this allow access to the alko jacking point to assist with fitting the wheel lock?

I was thinking that I could use the motor mover to line up the front wheel lock receiver then jack up the caravan using the alko side jack to fit the second rear wheel lock, with the mover holding the van in place when the handbrake is released to line up the second receiver on the rear wheel?

You indicate that you jack up the van using the jockey wheel to line up the rear receiver, could you explain further?

Thanks

If fitted to the reafr, I think the spare

Surf,

In the process of buying a new twin axle lunar lexon, which comes with two Alko wheel and I was also thinking of getting a mover fitted. Couple of question:

By fitting the mover to the front (didn't know this was possible thought it always had to be the rear. .. never had a mover before and don't know much about them) will this allow access to the alko jacking point to assist with fitting the wheel lock?

I was thinking that I could use the motor mover to line up the front wheel lock receiver then jack up the caravan using the alko side jack to fit the second rear wheel lock, with the mover holding the van in place when the handbrake is released to line up the second receiver on the rear wheel?

You indicate that you jack up the van using the jockey wheel to line up the rear receiver, could you explain further?

Thanks

If fitted onto the rear wheels, I think the spare wheel carrier gets in the way. We have no issue with it on the front wheels. Generally it is suggested that the ALKO lock is fitted on the rear because if they lift the front to steal it, they still can't move it. We then fit a Bulldog QD33 wheel clamp to the front wheel and ALKO to the rear as cannot faff around fitting the ALKO to the front one if it is not lined up. We still get the discount from CC.

We have never tried the method jacking up the front as up to now there has been no necessity, but there will be when we move into our new storage site beginning of April.

Lunar Delta TI

Although we have been caravanning for a number of years, we have never had to change a tyre or use a jack as we relied on Green Flag. Our 2011 Lunar Delta TI came supplied with an ALKO jack, but I have no idea if it can be used on the caravan as according to some posts, plates need to be fitted to the chassis for the jack to be used.

I have never even opened the pack containing the jack and have absolutely no idea what to do with it or how to use it even if I did take it out the pack. No issue with changing a car wheel.

I am asking now as our caravan is going into CASSOA bronze storage and we would prefer to have both ALKO secure locks fitted, however if it is a big hassle to jack up the caravan prefer to pay the extra on the insurance.

Do you need anything in addition to the jack and if so what do you do?

We have the 2012 TI and the Alko plate was fitted prior to delivery. Our mover is on the front wheels and doesn't get in the way. It is a quick 10 minute operation to jack up the left side and fit both locks.

David

We have the 2012 TI and the Alko plate was fitted prior to delivery. Our mover is on the front wheels and doesn't get in the way. It is a quick 10 minute operation to jack up the left side and fit both locks.

David

Thanks for the heads up!

Lunar Delta TI

• 6 years later...

Hi, we have just collected a new Lunar Delta Ti. As we have a double motor mover they have removed the jacking plates but still provided us with an Al-Ko side jack and 2 Al-Ko wheel locks! So.... we’ve lined up one wheel and applied the wheel lock but the jack provided with the caravan has nothing to attach to (as brackets are removed). Any suggestions as to what jack we should buy and if Lunar should supply an alternative when they remove the brackets? Thanks in advance 

Forget lining up the second wheel and buy a different wheel lock such as Nemesis which does not require lining up.

On 05/04/2019 at 21:07, Forester72 said:

Forget lining up the second wheel and buy a different wheel lock such as Nemesis which does not require lining up.

+1.....in fact I use 2 while touring.

It also means when levelling across both axles there is no need for alignment full stop.

Edited by charlieboy2608