You are reading this and hopefully may be able to help advise
me or point me in the direction of others that may be able to help.

Yesterday we purchased an old Hobby prestige 425 Caravan
here in Spain, made in Holland or Germany and is on Spanish plates, in very
good condition for the age, well looked after.

Never had a caravan before so are giving it a go, very
excited. However we have some questions…hundreds really but at the moment
advice with one we cant find an answer to online until I came across your site.

1. We don’t have hot water in caravan and want to
    know if its possible to have fitted a water heater? Either gas or electric, we don’t
    really fancy boiling saucepans.

2. We have a container under the sink unit free
    standing to fill with water and a submersible pump which we think we attach to
    the sink somehow. Can you suggest a better way of obtaining water to make life
    a little easier?

Thank you

Edited by lucinda32

Hi, majority of the hobby type vans where dry vans meaning they have no water on board,no toilet,no sinks, shower etc, I think it's was uk spec ones only which had some water facilities on board,

This is the reason we decided against buying. Hobby.

abbey spectrum 418 1991,complete refurbish through out over winter 2012.

towcar,dodge nitro 2008,2. 8crd sxt auto(black beauty)

Hello & welcome to the forum Lucinda,

I hope someone will come along soon & be able to help, maybe you could ask in the Hobby section too

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi, majority of the hobby type vans where dry vans meaning they have no water on board,no toilet,no sinks, shower etc, I think it's was uk spec ones only which had some water facilities on board,

This is the reason we decided against buying. Hobby.

Hi. ...No, we have a Thetford toilet and full bathroom and kitchen sink, these are fed from the water in a large container under the sink unit fed up via a sub pump. These vans were made for the german market im told.

Hello & welcome to the forum Lucinda,

I hope someone will come along soon & be able to help, maybe you could ask in the Hobby section too

Thank you

Whale produce a water heater that fits under the seats I believe.

http://www. whalepumps. com/rv/product. aspx?Category_ID=10018&Product_ID=21&FriendlyID=Water-Heater-13ltr

These MUST be installed by qualified installers and are not exactly cheap.

Second hand unit maybe found with breakers but with same fitting conditions. NOT DIY.

http://www. caravanbreakers. net/

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

It should certainly be possible to fit an onbord hot water system; something like the Truma Ultrastore that can run on either gas or electric, but they are not cheap with a price nudging towards £400 (€460).

You can also run a submersible water pump in a container under the sink, but a better way would be to either install an onboard tank under a bed locker, and use a diaphragm pump to supply both the taps, and the cold inlet to the water heater, or use an external water supply such as an Aquaroll.

Gordon.

Truma Ultrastore.jpg

Truma Ultrastore

CAK Onboard tank.jpg

CAK onboard tank

Aquroll.jpg

Aquaroll

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Will you be touring with the caravan or will it be static as there are different options? Also if you only have cold water, it will require the fitting of hot water taps which is not exactly a DIY job either.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Will you be touring with the caravan or will it be static as there are different options? Also if you only have cold water, it will require the fitting of hot water taps which is not exactly a DIY job either.

Good point, we never thought of there being 2 taps per sink. ..no there is only 1 on each, possible mixa?? To answer the above, there is a submersible water pump in a container under the sink at the moment, not sure if it connects both sink and bathroom sinl though, thank you all we will check out the above links tonight

Good point, we never thought of there being 2 taps per sink. ..no there is only 1 on each, possible mixa?? To answer the above, there is a submersible water pump in a container under the sink at the moment, not sure if it connects both sink and bathroom sinl though, thank you all we will check out the above links tonight

For a mixer tap you would still require a hot water feed. Can I assume the caravan does not have a shower area. In order to fit the dual hot water boiler you would need a qualified gas & electric person, however if you fit the electric only hot water boiler, it will be cheaper all round, but you are still looking at about £400.

Possibly a cheap way around this to to buy an immersion heater and a water barrel plus a hand pump. Heat the water in the barrel and then pump it into the basin. Obviously care will need to be taken. Cheapest alternative is of course to wash dishes etc at communal area.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

For a mixer tap you would still require a hot water feed. Can I assume the caravan does not have a shower area. In order to fit the dual hot water boiler you would need a qualified gas & electric person, however if you fit the electric only hot water boiler, it will be cheaper all round, but you are still looking at about £400.

Possibly a cheap way around this to to buy an immersion heater and a water barrel plus a hand pump. Heat the water in the barrel and then pump it into the basin. Obviously care will need to be taken. Cheapest alternative is of course to wash dishes etc at communal area.

The bathroom has a shower tray but no shower head. ..it has a sink and a tap, thank you for reply

Edited by lucinda32

We bought a new Sterkeman french caravan in 1982 and this came with no external water connection just a plastic can under the kitchen sink with a submersible pump in it fed from a box with dry batteries in. I changed this to an external water barrel with a submersible pump fed into a water inlet socket on the side of the van to the two taps feeding cold water only. Hot water was too complex and expensive to fit so we managed with cold only. This is a DIY project if care is taken and advice taken on wiring and cutting holes in the side of the van for the inlet socket.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4