Sign in to follow this  
jonbev

Photoshop Cs2...for A Dummy ; )

anyone fancy talking me through how i take the sky from 1 image and layering it into another image ??

im doing something wrong as i keep losing the background layer all the time when removing the original sky scene . seen various tutorials on youtube but these guys talk ( and click ) way too fast for my tiny brain to follow.

ive got as far as having the 2 images loaded, had layer 0 and layer 1 in dialog box for the image where i want to remove the boring grey sky ( want to replace it with a nice sunset from image 2 )and even managed to select magic wand and get the editing dots on the image, when i deleted layer i was left with no sky. ...and nothing else either ??? :rolleyes::unsure:

help !!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:;)

anyone fancy talking me through how i take the sky from 1 image and layering it into another image ??

im doing something wrong as i keep losing the background layer all the time when removing the original sky scene . seen various tutorials on youtube but these guys talk ( and click ) way too fast for my tiny brain to follow.

ive got as far as having the 2 images loaded, had layer 0 and layer 1 in dialog box for the image where i want to remove the boring grey sky ( want to replace it with a nice sunset from image 2 )and even managed to select magic wand and get the editing dots on the image, when i deleted layer i was left with no sky. ...and nothing else either ??? :rolleyes::unsure:

Without seeing the images I can't give you the complete routine that will ensure a perfect finish. This is a function of the accuracy of your selection masking. For example the sky may be between the branches of a tree. If you don't include those areas you will end up with an orange sky with grey dots in the trees. But the quickest method is . ...

Open the image with the sunset, select the area you want to use. Hit Ctrl+C to copy the selection to the clipboard.

Open the image with the grey sky. Select the area you want to replace. Hit Ctr+Shift+V to paste the clipboard 'into' the selected area of the sky.

Although I haven't used CS2 I have quite a bit of experience of Photoshop Elefants up to V8 and this technique works with Photoshop Elements.

Open the Sunset image as a layer. tn_gallery_34162_1231_363385.jpg

Open the image which you want to be in the foreground as another layer. tn_gallery_34162_1231_1687313.jpg

Select foreground layer and using Magic wand or other selection tool to select sky section of the foreground layer.

Hit Backspace key to remove selected area.

Use Select / inverse to select foreground layer.

Use Windows / tile to show two images side by side.

Use Move tool to select and move selecetd area from Foreground layer to Sunset layer.

Use Move tool to adjust position of foreground image.

Crop image to suitable proportions.

Use Layer / Merge or Flatten to combine the two image layers. gallery_34162_1231_1011691.jpg

Use File / Save as jpg in appropriate folder.

I will try to post images to demonstrate technique for combining an oran outang pie (lemon meringue pie) I recently made with a blue sky background from Burnham on Sea.

I suspect it may be some time before I am able to post the three images unless someone can give me a Guide to posting photos on Caravan Talk for Dummies.

Edited by DeeTee

Can we eat the Pie now Please :D

difficult to explain but you can always open up another window and stop and start and rewind etc at your own pace

Edited by robobone

Can we eat the Pie now Please :D

Sorry, it was my first attempt and I had to eat myself to ensure it was edible. I was quite Hyperglycaemic for some time afterwards. :rolleyes:

thanks for the tips folks, very helpful. i shall have another attempt later on :)

thanks for the tips folks, very helpful. i shall have another attempt later on :)

Do you want the recipe for the Lemon Meringue Pie ?

ha ha, no thanks, ive got to watch me figure. pfftt :lol:

There are lots of Tutorials for Cs2 on the interweb or failing that,

the folk on this website are very friendly and helpful.

http://www. elementsvillage. com/forums/

The main thing you were doing wrong is that were deleting layer 1. If this had the sky on that is why your sky disappeared. You should go into the layers drop down box and use either 'flatten image' or 'merge layers'. If the horizon has lots of detail as in bare trees then it is very difficult to get it to look right as there will be lots of areas close to the branches that are hard to copy the new sky to. If the skyline just has a building that is not too ornate or just a hill then this is much simpler. If you have lots of patience then you can use a layer mask and paint in black all round the tree branches while zoomed in to 100% as this gives better results but can take hours and is easier with a graphic tablet rather than a mouse. Above all it is practice, practice and practice. I use CS3 but only know less than a quarter of what it can actually do. Layer masks are something I could not work without though so are well worth learning.

Edited by Capricorn12

The trick with tree branches is not to attempt to add sky in between . ..but instead to colourise the interstitial areas with a tint of the sky.

managed to suss it out after several failed attempts but still ended up disappointed with the results. im probably being too adventurous for a novice and maybe the 2 images i tried to use werent really compatible and slightly fussy / complicated . i will upload pic later. ...dont laugh . its ok doing the sky but the lighting of the 2 images was massively different so that affects other parts of the image im trying to create. ..you`ll see what i mean when i put pic up later

thanks for all the advice, as above practice is the way forward .

Edited by jonbev

Although I use CS3 this is very similar to CS2 unless you get into the much more complex sections of the program.

Below is a project I did that combines layer mixing and colour popping i. e. making part of the image mono while the other parts are colour. This is where the layer mask is really useful. The background image is a real flower and the hand with brush was shot against a white background to make it easier to cut out.

post-55268-0-58607900-1362495387_thumb.jpg

I normally work with the latest CS6 but I think the basics should be the same for your version.

Its quite difficult to explain without seeing the images and being able to see the result as it happens to advise further adjustments but feel free to experiment with the following.

Copy the sky from the first document and paste into the second, scale to suit.

Ensure you have the layer with the sky selected

Select the eraser tool and change the brush size, for fine areas use a smaller brush, always use a soft edge brush for a more natural finish.

Remove the areas where you do not need the sky.

Dependant on the image you are working with experiment with changing the opacity of the layer for the sky to allow the original image to show through. Also try selecting 'mulitply' in the layer options which will add your sky on top of the previous image.

ok here it is, dark moody sky to replace the boring pale blue original,not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but got the idea of what to do at least, thanks for all the tips

http://i952. photobucket. com/albums/ae9/jonnyloppy/flybephotoshopped_zpsb1d54872. jpg

ok here it is, dark moody sky to replace the boring pale blue original,not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but got the idea of what to do at least, thanks for all the tips

http://i952. photobucket. com/albums/ae9/jonnyloppy/flybephotoshopped_zpsb1d54872. jpg

Very good for a first try. ..just watch your masking whichever method you use. On one of the images you have inadvertently included the fuselages of the distant aircraft and deleted those areas.

One other additional step once you have deleted the sky, is to go to Layers>Matting and use the defringe option to remove a couple of pixels of the telltale light sky residual line around the distant buildings outlines.

Edited by ericfield

thanks, yes i found it very difficult selecting the lower part of the sky. those "marching ants" kept being selected where i didnt want them hence the sky infringes over items on the ground in the background. Didnt do much in the way of tidying it up as it was just a practise to get the hang of it. having another issue on another project, selected the sky but its covering a mountain top . ..rendering it a grey white colour instead of dark . how can i prevent this ?

the sky appears to have come too low down on one part of the image, the rest is perfect

http://i952. photobucket. com/albums/ae9/jonnyloppy/DSC04894_zps846b1d2e. jpg

in the photoshopped image the mountain on the right is now covered by the clear blue sky from the other image . the rest of the scene is spot on :unsure:

thanks, yes i found it very difficult selecting the lower part of the sky. those "marching ants" kept being selected where i didnt want them hence the sky infringes over items on the ground in the background. Didnt do much in the way of tidying it up as it was just a practise to get the hang of it. having another issue on another project, selected the sky but its covering a mountain top . ..rendering it a grey white colour instead of dark . how can i prevent this ?

the sky appears to have come too low down on one part of the image, the rest is perfect

If you are using the magic wand, try dropping the sensitivity . ..this will reduce then range of tones beng selected.

Alternatively, take the lasso tool, hold down the Alt key and draw round the mountain to remove it from the selection.

If you are using the magic wand, try dropping the sensitivity . ..this will reduce then range of tones beng selected.

Alternatively, take the lasso tool, hold down the Alt key and draw round the mountain to remove it from the selection.

:) cheers, will have a bash tomorrow

:) cheers, will have a bash tomorrow

If you intend to do lots of editing, it's worth learning to use the Pen tool and creating Bezier curve clipping paths. ....that's when the fun starts!

Sign in to follow this