Sign in to follow this  
jonbev

Monopods

anyone use one and how do you get on with it ?

i have a tripod which is a little disappointing under certain conditions, no matter how tight everythings fastened up when camera is set skywards it always tends to drop a touch, makes a hassle of moon shots in particular. bought a cheaper one as a first timer, my mistake i suppose . :unsure:

never even seen a monopod in the flesh let alone used one with being a newbie to all this, would one be suitable for video use particularly of aircraft on a runway and then airborne / climbing.

have a feeling the tripod wont be much use after playing with it for other outdoor things, particularly if its windy.

thanks

I have one and it is used sometimes with a mini dvd video camera.

I saw this one but the reviews are interesting to read. At the price it's a no brainer but I don't need another one.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Hama-Alpenpod-Walking-Monopod-Cameras/dp/B002DOUXSA/ref=pd_bxgy_ph_text_z

This is my tripod and was bought from Jessops before they closed. ........

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Manfrotto-MKC3-H01-Compact-Photo-movie-Kit/dp/B0049SVTXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361623732&sr=1-1

It is operated with a single thumb wheel and is very steady for it's weight. Quick release top included on mine.

My mate uses a Manfrotto monopod with a Manfrotto pan and tilt head,

He goes to all the air tattoos and found the tripod was a bust in the crowds.

He does have expensive tastes and a very heavy pro-DSLR and lenses.

I think he uses a carbon fibre version.

I have a Benbow two-piece monopod, which has a fixed tilt head, but is

tall enough for me (at 6' 2") I posted a "how to use a monopod" link here

not so long ago.

http://photographylife. com/how-to-use-a-monopod

Edited by gumdrop

Monopods have their place but are not a replacement for a tripod. I have a Manfrotto monopod which does get a fair bit of use and I wouldn't be without it, but I use it mainly to offer some additional support and to take the weight out of large heavy lens. It would not be suitable for long exposures or anything where the camera must remain absolutely steady. Again for video it would offer you some useful stabillity and for what they cost it probably is a worthwhile investment.

My advice to you would be to have a sturdy tripod, probably sticking with pro makes like Manfrotto, Giotto, Benbo etc, usually these come without a head which is purchased seperately to meet your requirments. Again with monopods dont buy cheap budget ones, they are usually a waste of time, and again a lot of these will come without a head and you may need to buy a head if required.

Quality heads can be quite expensive, although there are some good ones to be had on auction sites etc.

I have one and it is used sometimes with a mini dvd video camera.

I saw this one but the reviews are interesting to read. At the price it's a no brainer but I don't need another one.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Hama-Alpenpod-Walking-Monopod-Cameras/dp/B002DOUXSA/ref=pd_bxgy_ph_text_z

This is my tripod and was bought from Jessops before they closed. ........

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Manfrotto-MKC3-H01-Compact-Photo-movie-Kit/dp/B0049SVTXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361623732&sr=1-1

It is operated with a single thumb wheel and is very steady for it's weight. Quick release top included on mine.

the monopod you highlight is the same one i was looking at . i have a hama tripod and as i said, has its faults . however just set it up in back garden and done some practise panning and following and it seemed to work fine . played video back through the tv and it was all reasonably smooth and steady. it may be ok for my requirements but until i get out to the airport i wont know for sure.

thanks for everyones input

I used to have one but found I would still get camera shake as they're not nearly as sturdy as a tripod. I have a Giotto's pro tripod now and a small mini one too for travel. Work a treat. I would prefer to rest against a wall etc rather than carry the monopod.

I've ended up with a collection of different types

Tripods are

A fairly old but good to use Slik Gazzelle that was given to me

A Hama Traveller http://www. ephotozine. com/article/hama-traveller-mini-pro--review-14487 I got as a gift when I took a subscription out for one of the photo magazines.

I also have one of these http://www. leki. com/841-photosystem-alu-1. html which serves a dual purpose

I use a Benbow Trekker tripod as well and it should be mentioned,

that a one legged tripod is a monopod if the situation demands :D

Best of both worlds?

I use a Benbow Trekker tripod as well and it should be mentioned,

that a one legged tripod is a monopod if the situation demands :D

Best of both worlds?

:goodpost:

Leki used to make one that was one of their adjustable walking sticks. That way you could use it for walking and always have it handy if necss.

I had a stick cut from the hedge with a vee-groove thumb grip

but I later cut it off and fitted a screw fitting so the vee could be

removed and a camera fitted on the 1/4" Whit coupling screw.

I have since used a plastic garden cane as suggested by LordV

with the variation of a 9" piece of wood with a slide fit hole for

the cane. It is instantly height adjustable and locks as soon as

you put pressure on it.

Sometimes homemade is as good if not better :D

I use a mono pod for motorsport photos. It means I can hold the camera steady, but still move it. ...if you know what I mean.

Enables me to pan without camera shake.

I do photography and video so when I got a voucher for Argos I bought a Manfrotto monopod. I thought this could be used with my DSLR and camcorder but have found it almost useless. With the camcorder the fact you are not gripping the body of the camera means that with every button press the camera will tilt or pan a lot more than if it was handheld. Due to this problem I have not tried it on my DSLR as pressing the buttons on the camera will move the body and so again be worse than handheld. It looks like I will have to resort to my trusty Velbon Sherpa 550R tripod. Always rock solid and stable.

When using your DSLR on a monopod you generally support and use the camera in the normal way with your hands, the monopod simply acts as a vertical support, imagine you were resting the camera on top of a wall or post for support and treat your monopod as the same.

I use mine generally when using heavy lens for long periods; I photograph a lot of sports and holding a large heavy body with a big lens up to you eye for sustained periods becomes an "arm killer", the monopod takes the weight but allows me free movement to pan etc. Also the monopod enables me to pan more acurately in a horizontal plane as it limits any vertical movement.

The other advantage is fast long focal length lens tend to be large, and hand hold shutter speeds increase quite a bit to avoid camera shake, a very rough guide would be a f2. 8 200mm lens at maximum focal length would require an approximate hand help shutter speed of 1/200th of a second to ensure no camera shake; but with the added support of a monopod you can reduce this conciderably, add an image stabiliser and you get it down even further, this results in better pan blur whilst retaining primary image sharpness.

A few years ago I used to photograph a lot of figure skating competitions, in the days that anything over 400iso was a no no we offen had to shoot at 1/60th sec at 200-400mm a tripod just didn't give enough freedom of movement but hand held was not an option at these speeds, a correctly braced monopod was the perfect solution in this scenario.

I may try it with my DSLR then and see if does improve the shake. I think the biggest problem is that it is not quite long enough for a comfortable shooting position.

I video using Monopods and tripods . A monopod has the advantage of videoing and moving easily on to the next location without shutting down a tripod . A tripod is heavier and are great at a location where your not going to want to move constantly like a wedding photo shoot .

For filming a plane at a distance on a runway and taking off your not going to be moving to new locations constantly but you do require a good solid tripod with a good head and with limited vibration as your going to be using zoom majority of the time.

IMO If you go for a mono pod look for one with a folding foot rest to hold the bottom still so it does not slip while videoing .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I do photography and video so when I got a voucher for Argos I bought a Manfrotto monopod. I thought this could be used with my DSLR and camcorder but have found it almost useless. With the camcorder the fact you are not gripping the body of the camera means that with every button press the camera will tilt or pan a lot more than if it was handheld. Due to this problem I have not tried it on my DSLR as pressing the buttons on the camera will move the body and so again be worse than handheld. It looks like I will have to resort to my trusty Velbon Sherpa 550R tripod. Always rock solid and stable.

Well, if it's only going in the bin then . .. ;)

:ph34r:

Which model did you get because I find mine is very easy to handle.

Due to this problem I have not tried it on my DSLR as pressing the buttons on the camera will move the body and so again be worse than handheld

you can always use the time delay feature to allow you to "stiffen" up before the shot is taken. I always do this if taking long exposure shots even on a tripod

Sign in to follow this