What Price Would You Pay For 2Nd Hand 'van?

Time on my hands in Preston this morning went into MARQUIS caravans on Chain Caul Lane. They are distributors for AutoSleepers motorhomes and caravans.

Saw a AS "Knightsbridge" 4 berth side dinette 'van, which to me was in show room mint condiditon, fell in love with it, though even my behemoth V70 wouldn't pull it.

Price on the front window was £19,995. I inquired about the 'van to the saleman who was extremely helpful without usual salesman blah blah. It's a 2nd hand 'van, 2 years old! I comented on the condition it really was mint, looked as though it had hardly been used.

Anyway, point is, would you pay £19,995 for a 2 year old 2nd hand 'van?

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

If you really want it, then yes. If you don't then go somewhere else.

It's the same wherever you go you either pay what the vendor wants, try and negotiate a better deal or find something else that suits your pocket or sensibilities.

If you dont buy it then either someone else will or he'll drop his price - try haggling. No one on this forum can make that decision for you. There'll be plenty who wouldn't pay more than £500 for a van and those who would be quite happy to pay £30k plus for a second hand one even older, depending on the make and condition.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Newer caravans on caravanfinder for less so my answer would be no. Our twin axle Lunar Delta TI cost us less than £19,000 brand new in 2011!

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

We paid over 20k when the new 1st bailey valencia came out,then hit hard times and it went back. .now can find a bailey indiana 2009 with all the bits and bobs ( wastemaster etc etc ) for 10k

So i wouldnt pay over 10k for a 2nd hand van

Matelot, it was a rhetorical question, I wasn't seeking advice I was instigating a debate. I dropped one anyway, it wasn't a KNIGHTSBRIDGE, but a KENNSINGTON, some place anyway dahn sarf!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

It would have been a £30k van two years ago even before the original purchasers looked at the options list.

Whilst it is probably true you could buy a new van for £20k you would not be buying anything like a comparable product.

I did read dealers were heavily discounting some new but last year's model AS vans a short while back.

When I looked they were factory fitted as standard with the lovely AL-KO mover.

PS: If I could buy a 2nd hand, unmarked two year old £75K Airstream for £20k I would not be seeking opinions here first! So no real hang up on buying 2nd hand.

Edited by JTQ

If I loved it, had a budget of 19k, it was in mint condition and a good saving on a brand new van (same model)

I wouldn't think twice. It would belong to me :-)

I paid 10k for a 2 year old lunar stellar. No regrets. Exactly what I was looking for and the new stellar had changed layout and didn't do it for me

Grooved xxx

Would I pay that much for a van I loved. No I would find something else to love. Would you be happy having to buy a big 4x4 and footing the extra fuel and tax costs plus extra van insurance costs to get away and sit in a field somewhere and have less money to spend than if you had kept your present outfit. Think hard and the answer should be NO.

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

For me the caravan is a means towards an end; portable familiar accommodation if you like.

I bought mine for a pittance after the previous owner reversed it into a wall. I now spend time maintaining it and tailoring it to my own particular needs; removing the onboard water tank, removing the water heater etc etc. My back ganged up on me and made me fit a motor mover; that was fun on a girder chassis!

Royale Tourstar + Riley 2½ Litre

Rapido Orline 33E and Riley 1½ litre