Discounts On New

Hi there

Completely new to this, but have emailed a few dealers about prices for a Caravan

One has come back with an ex demonstrator at a good discount, whereas another has come back with basically the price of the Van with £100 off.

I am a cash buyer and wondered what sort of discount I should be looking to get.

When I buy a new car I haggle greatly and normally get at least 10% off, but this doesn't seem to be the case with Caravans.

I am going to see the demonstrator tomorrow that has not yet been registered so guess will still have it's full entitlement to warranties etc.

Thanks

Warren

Edited by warrenb

Different ranges have different profit margins: the dearer vans eg Unicorn, Conqueror etc have a higher margin than cheaper ranges. You should have no problem getting 10% off most vans: £100 is a joke.

What is a demonstrator? Presumably a van that is on show: be careful its not a 2012 model. Even a 2012 will have the full warranty period if it is new not pre-owned.

Like cars you will get better offers face to face esp. if they think you are serious and will deal there and then. They are wary of haggling on the phone: you could even be a rival dealer "spying" for all they know. You are versed in the art of haggling so go for it, and haggle down any accesories you buy with it but don't be side tracked into "free starter packs" or any other nonsense.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I would never consider an ex-demonstrator caravan to be new. It could of had thousands of viewers, pulling this and that open. Let's face it, some people are cackhanded or hamfisted. So essentially it is secondhand, which begs the question - why do you have to pay the delivery charge?

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

if you can do the deal there and then you will get a good discount, we had 3 dealers lined up,and when the 1st was a bit hesitant i called the 2nd from just outside his office, he soon came up with exactly what we wanted. we offered to pay anyway he wished except finance and were flexible with him as well,give and take, we also got a voucher for accessories (not gas), which we have just spent,+ a bit extra :o .

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

Talking to dealers at the NEC this week they all wanted to bite our hands off to get our cash - some very good deals on offer!

Can you not get up to the NEC? It is on until Sunday.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi warren. At the end of the day, its what you class as a good discount. I don't think 10% is being unreasonable. But if you do not feel you are getting a good deal then you just walk away. If you feel you are not getting enough off price wise, try and incorporate extras in the deal. I got external socket,alarm,Bpw Diamond wheel lock and satelite sockets fitted. But on top of that I got what was also a price that I was happy with and was prepared to pay. Being a cash buyer in my opinion is not as strong a position as it used to be. The dealers sometimes would rather you took finance, were they not only get the sale but extra income from finance company's . Also they like part ex were they can again get the sale but make a couple of thousand on your old van.

Caravanning has never been as popular as it is now,and dealers are doing very well,so I wouldn't compare it to the car market regarding getting deals as we all know that the car industry is struggling at the moment . Just my ten peneth. Cheers scoobz.

Tricky this one, as it is a cheaper van Venus 500/4

It will be our first caravan, and the dealer has assured us that the demonstrator has been locked at all times apart from accompanied viewings.

As for the other dealer, they are saying immediate availability but then saying I am getting a deal as I am not paying for delivery.

Might seem strange but people dont want cash buyers ! if its a cheque they have to pay charges to bank it and if cash depending on the bank its 37p per hundred pound banked

So most dealers like a bit of finance taken out. ..this is only what i have found and might not be the norm

It will just be a debit card purchase, got insurance quotes but storage is different, tricky one down here in Kent.

For storage at two sites I have been quoted the following

12 months - £840

6 months - £550+vat

Didn't think it would be this tricky. Just want to go buy a Caravan at a decent price and store it and use it.

Having been looking for a new van since Christmas 2012, I've found there's no substitute for a face to face deal. Over the phone or by email, how's the dealer supposed to know if you're serious or just a competitor trying to find out what someone elses price is.

Even at an early stage of negotiation, it didn't take much effort to get 11% off a new fatory order Bailey U2 Barcelona, a Sterling Eccles SE Quartz and Sterling Elite Searcher. That's with me having no part ex and "cash" buyer. The three dealers in question have all asked for a £500 deposit which is fair enough and not one has said "well that price depends on you taking finance". And that's without me even trying to get any extras thrown in.

Again, all dealers have asked that when the van arrives, the balance is paid on collection and after the handover. By this, they've all implied a BACS payment is preferable on the day of collection. If you can't do this on the day, all the dealers agreed that I could also pay the agreed price less £500-1000 by BACS a week before collection and then the final balance by debit card once we're happy with the van on the day. Could use a credit card but it may incur a 2% handling charge (Edit- I thought this 2% charge had been outlawed?)

It will just be a debit card purchase, got insurance quotes but storage is different, tricky one down here in Kent.

12 months - £840

6 months - £550+vat

Didn't think it would be this tricky. Just want to go buy a Caravan at a decent price and store it and use it.

Try and pay at least £100 by credit card as then you've got some consumer protection should the deal or the van go pear shaped.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

12 months - £840

6 months - £550+vat

i would want the storage yard to take my van to the site of my choise for that price!! £350 a year up north on a top storage site.

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

It also depends on what time of year you buy. If you buy towards July, August then most dealers are trying to get rid of that years stock and ready for the new years stock - you can get bigger discounts. I've bought my last two vans at this time of year and had a good 10-15% off as a result.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

12 months - £840

6 months - £550+vat

Where in Kent are you Warren, I pay £325 a year very near to my home, my previous storage at Staplehurst was cheaper than that and was a Gold COASSA site.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Might seem strange but people dont want cash buyers ! if its a cheque they have to pay charges to bank it and if cash depending on the bank its 37p per hundred pound banked

So most dealers like a bit of finance taken out. ..this is only what i have found and might not be the norm

We had offers from one dealer that were 5% better if we took finance, so agree.

Demonstrator is often one that has been on manufacturers consignment stock for 'x' weeks/months and after this period it becomes the obligation of dealer to accept it into their own stock. .....hence discounts. ..........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi there

Completely new to this, but have emailed a few dealers about prices for a Caravan

One has come back with an ex demonstrator at a good discount, whereas another has come back with basically the price of the Van with £100 off.

I am a cash buyer and wondered what sort of discount I should be looking to get.

When I buy a new car I haggle greatly and normally get at least 10% off, but this doesn't seem to be the case with Caravans.

I am going to see the demonstrator tomorrow that has not yet been registered so guess will still have it's full entitlement to warranties etc.

Thanks

Warren

You get better discounts buying on HP sad to say as sales person gets commission there. We always buy on HP and then pay it off after 3 years. That way you have the backing of the finance company if things go wrong. Worked twice for us!

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Quick question,

I have a Qashqai 1. 6 Petrol.

It has a maximum towing weight of 1200 so should be fine as Venus is 1190kg.

I can't find the nose weight maximum anywhere for the car.

Anybody know the answer to this ?

Also I have a a standard Nissan towball fitted, is this compatible with the Alko stabiliser on the 500/4 ?

You'll probably need an Alko towball: it has a longer neck so the stabiliser doesn't catch on the car bumper. Get the caravan dealer you are buying from to check and change it if needed. They're not dear and will bolt onto your Nissan towbar.

Just as a note we never give discount details in emails. We know customers will just print the email and tout it around other dealers more local. I'm sure other dealers will have worked this out too.

Best advice is find your prefared dealer and strike a deal face to face. And don't forget if you have a part exchange, its the price to swop you want.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Just as a note we never give discount details in emails. We know customers will just print the email and tout it around other dealers more local. I'm sure other dealers will have worked this out too.

Best advice is find your prefared dealer and strike a deal face to face. And don't forget if you have a part exchange, its the price to swop you want.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Had a proper measure this morning.

The gap between the middle of the tow ball and the bumper is 105mm and as said before it is a swan neck A50X so there is plenty of clearance below the ball.

Can anyone confirm this should be OK with the 3004 ALKO stabilizer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked the Caravan up and towed it 60 miles to the storage site with no problems.

Had to leave the Caravan in the Car Park of the storage site as we got there late, but am going to see it this weekend and start loading it up for a first trip in a few weeks time.

I have a 1. 6 Petrol Qashqai and it seemed to tow fine.

Actually just been reading up on this, and we have the plus pack attached to the caravan which includes spare wheel and carrier, alloys etc, and is the weight of these taken from the payload, or is it included in the MRO ?