Makes You Think!

Surf01

my last 4x4 Ford Maverick had General Grabbers on when I sold it, fantastic longevity but I part exed it through my brothers garage for a Shogun. after a few days he phoned me up to ask if I had problems with the bearings because they were really noisy. he felt a right tit when I told him it was the tyres not the bearings. It only had a mondeo 2ltr petrol engine in so would have had problems towing anything more than the Trailer tents that I was dragging round at the time.

1976 Conway Corsica TT, 2003 Cabanon Galaxy TT, 1990 ABI Jubilee Ambassador, 2006 Coachman Wanderer 18/4 (Amara 530/4 Special)

2003 Ford Maverick Mk3 2004 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 TDi 2007 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 Elegance 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Gx5 2. 3

Kernow Bys Vyken :ph34r:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ollies mum

Ford Maverick or the Nissan counterpart model, brilliant tow cars but I don't think they ever came with a 2. 0ltr Mondeo petrol engine fitted to them.

Ford Maverick or the Nissan counterpart model, brilliant tow cars but I don't think they ever came with a 2. 0ltr Mondeo petrol engine fitted to them.

Hi,

the last mavericks did come with a 2l petrol engine though I can't recall a nissan version of the model,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Ford Maverick or the Nissan counterpart model. ......

The Patrol was the Nissan version.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Bit of confusion around the Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano, i'll attempt to clarify.

The Nissan Terrano 2, built in Spain from 1993 - 2006 was also sold under the Ford Maverick Badge from 1993 - 2000, with a choice of 2. 4 petrol engines or 2. 7 Tdi - both Nissan engines. Later the Nissan version replaced the 2. 7 with a 3. 0 TDI from the bigger Patrol.

nissan-terrano-ii-01.jpg

in 2000 Ford ended the agreement to rebadge the Terrano and instead started to import the American designed and build Escape SUV but rebadged it as the Maverick for the UK market, same name but shares nothing with the previous Maverick. Mazda also sold the same car in the UK with slightly different bodywork as the Mazda Tribute. I believe these cars were Petrol only owing to them being American in origin where diesel still hasnt caught on.

800px-2001-04_Ford_Escape.jpg

The Nissan Patrol was/is (not sure if its still in production or not) an entirely separate line of vehicles.

Hope thats clear.

1962 Prototype Everyman Folding Caravan "Herbert" & Pennine Aztec Folding Camper, towed by Kia Carens CRDI.

Read my blog - The Outside In - Find it in the Blogs Section!

Hi Huff,

Thanks for the information and that is how I remember it.

My reply to Ollie's mum was to say that there was a 2l version of the last

Maverick and that was the only one, she is correct in that the previous version didn't come with that engine,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Huff,its no wonder diesel has,nt caught on in the states . They pay less for a gallon than we pay for a litre. :(

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Hi Huff,its no wonder diesel has,nt caught on in the states . They pay less for a gallon than we pay for a litre. :(

So I've heard, although I hear its getting more expensive there as time goes on, hence why Ford are starting to sell their more fuel efficient, european models stateside.

1962 Prototype Everyman Folding Caravan "Herbert" & Pennine Aztec Folding Camper, towed by Kia Carens CRDI.

So I've heard, although I hear its getting more expensive there as time goes on, hence why Ford are starting to sell their more fuel efficient, european models stateside.

Yes the price for a gallon of petrol is now OVER a pound a gallon. How do they cope Huff? Can,t have much left for food. :)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

I don't actually agree with you there John. I know lots of people who tour France each year sticking religously to the excellent D roads and will limit there journey to approx. 100 miles per day taking in all the sites, sounds and smells of rural France. They will be towing at between 40 and 50 mph keeping pace with other traffic.

If you plan your routes carefully you can have amazing journey that seldom go through towns and because you are going up hill and down dale you do a lot of coasting, all of which saves on fuel.

The last time I towed our van with our 300TDi Disco doing just this we averaged 31. 5 mpg (corrected) over the entire holiday.

Yes . ... It's not a question of limiting travel to 100 miles to save fuel (that's not relevant) but sticking to roads where sensible progress can be made at, as you say, 40mph to 50mph (keeping pace with other traffic). The interest in the surroundings clearly is a bonus.

It is a matter of fact that you do not make up the fuel used climbing a hill as you coast down the other side! A flat run with same wind conditions would be more economical.

Motorways are flat(ish) but we tend to drive faster and that is the fuel grabber. Even so for some the speed and safety of a motorway is well worth the cost. Clearly there are differing priorities for different families.

Mind you - I wish I could average 31. 5mpg with my outfit.

Edited by John_b_45

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

31. 5 MPG get either of my towing machines then

Citroen Picasso 7 seater 43 MPG over 60000 miles including towing my 92 Elddis Typhoon.

Ford Galaxy 7 seater 41 MPG over 34000 miles--so far.

Both 2 litre diesels--both from new.

Citroen Picasso 7 seater 43 MPG over 60000 miles including towing my 92 Elddis Typhoon.

Hi Ancell,

I was told, when I took delivery of the Galaxy and dropped off the Picasso, that both cars now have the same engine,

Regards,

Ian.

The Galaxy is a neandertal bit of kit compared to the Picasso--dated interior-hard to read instruments-poor handbrake-dangerously distracting cruise control.

BUT

Mines has 5 star build quality NIL defects yes NIL in 34000 miles excellent road holding.

You get the feeling with the Picasso it will fall to bits any time soon--reliable--mines was not--from new.

So easy to drive- way better thought out interior- easy read digital display- easy to use paddle shift semi gearbox-loved that-easy use electric hand brake-sadly unreliable.

Road holding abysmall-ship in the desert-wallow wallow typical French machine.

I assume the 2 MPG difference is due to the Galaxy having a proper fluid auto box-or its heavier?

Both tow/ed my Elddis Typhoon with not the slightest difficulty except I used to get an alarming clutch burning smell reversing with the Picasso.

Hi Huff.

A mate of mine a bit back in the mid 90's had a Patrol and something like this might have been what I remember seeing.

Probably a different Maverick to the one seen in the UK?

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Hi Huff.

A mate of mine a bit back in the mid 90's had a Patrol and something like this might have been what I remember seeing.

Probably a different Maverick to the one seen in the UK?

Ah yes you are quite right, sorry about that. I'd forgotten the early series patrol was also badge engineered by Ford, though it was never sold in the UK with a Ford badge unlike the 93 - 2000 Maverick/Terrano.

Thats what comes of relying on memory and not checking!

Cheers

Bit of confusion around the Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano, i'll attempt to clarify.

The Nissan Terrano 2, built in Spain from 1993 - 2006 was also sold under the Ford Maverick Badge from 1993 - 2000, with a choice of 2. 4 petrol engines or 2. 7 Tdi - both Nissan engines. Later the Nissan version replaced the 2. 7 with a 3. 0 TDI from the bigger Patrol.

nissan-terrano-ii-01.jpg

in 2000 Ford ended the agreement to rebadge the Terrano and instead started to import the American designed and build Escape SUV but rebadged it as the Maverick for the UK market, same name but shares nothing with the previous Maverick. Mazda also sold the same car in the UK with slightly different bodywork as the Mazda Tribute. I believe these cars were Petrol only owing to them being American in origin where diesel still hasnt caught on.

800px-2001-04_Ford_Escape.jpg

The Nissan Patrol was/is (not sure if its still in production or not) an entirely separate line of vehicles.

Hope thats clear.

The original Maverick was paired with the Nissan Terrano, but when the partnership with Nissan ended Ford teamed up with Mazda who produced the Tribute, Mazda ade their version with a variety of engines, this model of the Ford Maverick came with either a 2ltr or 3ltr petrol engine, they never sold many (in the scheme of things) and the 2ltr had the same engine as the Mondeo. It was a bit underpowered (believe me I had one) it had automatic 4x4 or press button manual 4x4 with no diff lock it wasn't brilliant but I added proper tyres and it wasn't too bad off road, but I got hung up on a hillock, without a diff lock I could not get off, all the power was goin through the one wheel that was in the air. Nissan continued to make the Terrano which was a good vehicle.

1976 Conway Corsica TT, 2003 Cabanon Galaxy TT, 1990 ABI Jubilee Ambassador, 2006 Coachman Wanderer 18/4 (Amara 530/4 Special)

2003 Ford Maverick Mk3 2004 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 TDi 2007 Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 Elegance 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Gx5 2. 3

Kernow Bys Vyken :ph34r:

Are those manual or automatic cars?

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

The original Maverick was paired with the Nissan Terrano, but when the partnership with Nissan ended Ford teamed up with Mazda who produced the Tribute, Mazda ade their version with a variety of engines, this model of the Ford Maverick came with either a 2ltr or 3ltr petrol engine, they never sold many (in the scheme of things) and the 2ltr had the same engine as the Mondeo. It was a bit underpowered (believe me I had one) it had automatic 4x4 or press button manual 4x4 with no diff lock it wasn't brilliant but I added proper tyres and it wasn't too bad off road, but I got hung up on a hillock, without a diff lock I could not get off, all the power was goin through the one wheel that was in the air. Nissan continued to make the Terrano which was a good vehicle.

Well Mazda was owned by Ford at the time so they shared many models, they sold off their stake back in 2010 though so Mazda is now independent once again.

Citroen

6 speed paddle shift box or fully auto--you can use either I always used the excellent paddle shift on steering wheel.

Drove it to the Med twice-a chimpanzee could drive it!!.

Ford Galaxy

neandertal old fashioned fully auto 6? speed box with the usual 80 year? old auto shift stick withl sport mode hold option if you want to keep taking one hand off the steering wheel--give me paddle shift every time.

Both interiors "flat pack" so humugous space--you could sleep in it-I would love to--my wife absolutely will not-no dressing table-ensuite.

I want the Citroen interior and transmission with the Ford build quality and road holding--after all they are both the same price!

We test drove the Peugeot 3008 which has a simialr box and found it terrible to drive. Basically it was a clutchless manual box and you had to remember to remove foot from accelerator when it was about to change. After driving a fully automatic, it was difficult to adapt.

Not sure if your Galaxy had the proper auto box or the Powershift as Ford really messed up with the powershift box!

Lunar Delta TI

The Citroen transmission was faultless in operation.

All gear changes were made by operating two paddles one on either side of the steering wheel-one for going up one for going down- you could also operate the box in auto mode.

There was no need to touch either of the only two pedals accelerator or brake.

It certainly took a few days to get used to after stick waving.

The only downside was the box is intelligent so it will not change up or down if it feels its a bad idea.

It was incredibly easy to drive combined with a flawless cruise control great for driving to the Med and back a 3000 mile trip for me plus detours.

It did breakdown once-electric handbrake would not unlatch and it did have a serious engine management problem plus other irritating French faults.

Fortunately it never broke down abroad.

I am glad I did not own it!!.

The Ford has a fully auto box excellent and unobtrusive in use-its boring-it never breaks down.

It has the usual sport mode option if you want to change gear manually--after a million miles plus I cannot be bothered with manual gear changes.

Based on 34000 miles I would buy my Galaxy if I needed a vehicle for myself which I do not.

Got rid of our Audi because we never used it -

battery was always flat due to lack of use

The Ford has a fully auto box excellent and unobtrusive in use-its boring-it never breaks down.

It has the usual sport mode option if you want to change gear manually--after a million miles plus I cannot be bothered with manual gear changes.

Obviously you have the older Galaxy without the rubbish powershift box. Pity Ford moved away from a torque converter gearbox.

Lunar Delta TI