Towing Electrics 13 Pin To 12s And 12n

SEPS

Looking to upgrade our tow car to accommodate a Bailey Senator.

Interested in a 2nd hand BMW X5. Planning to put on a Witter towbar. This has a max towball weight of 120kg - belive that the BMW supplied is only 90kg.

I understand that (as per other continental cars) there is only space available for a 13 pin socket rather than 12S and 12N.

Has anyone any experience of this or workarounds?

I believe adapters are available, will they fit into the space available?, anyone use one, prices, availability etc?

Do not beleive that UK caravans can be sold in the UK with a direct 13 pin coupling.

My car has a 13 pin socket and is a much better connection IMO than 2 7pin ones. I use the adapter that came with my car and find that I have to resort to the faithful old bungee to keep spare cable off the road. I believe most others have this issue as well - even with the cables on the van pulled into the A-frame as far as possible.

If you are going to keep the van and car a while it may be worth getting it converted to a 13-pin plug, if your dealer is a NCC approved workshop I can't see this would be a problem. Check that Bailey wouldn't have any warranty issues though (can't see how they would).

IMO all vans should have a 13-pin plug, so much easier and a much more positive electrical connection.

Guest Hobbybod
My car has a 13 pin socket and is a much better connection IMO than 2 7pin ones

. . . . .

If you are going to keep the van and car a while it may be worth getting it converted to a 13-pin plug, if your dealer is a NCC approved workshop I can't see this would be a problem. Check that Bailey wouldn't have any warranty issues though (can't see how they would).

IMO all vans should have a 13-pin plug, so much easier and a much more positive electrical connection.

52426[/snapback]

I agree with these sentiments. The 13-pin connections are way better than than the 'old' 2x7pin ones. Change to a 13-pin plug on the 'van if possible.

If you do use an adapter cable, be aware that not all the connections may be active; I had to modify an adapter cable that I use to get the frig. and 'van battery charging working properly! Not an unusual occurence seemingly.

Hi Seps,

It seems strange that different towbars have different hitch download limits, as this depends more on the vehicle structure than the towbar. Different makes of towbar will all use the same attachments by EU directive. Maybe a difference between swan-neck and bolt-on ball. :unsure:

If you are opting for a 13 pin socket, which most users agree are superior to 2x7 pins, why consider using an adaptor as this puts 2x7 pins back in the loop again. :blink:

Far better to rewire to connection blocks in the van. Keep the old cables so that it can be put back to UK spec.

As mentioned some adaptor cables are still wired to pre 1998 standard.

Frank

Archived