What % Do You Tow At !

61% steady as a rock, until the wife loads the van. ......

Don't let SWMBO anywhere near my loading!!

I just have the problem of needing a tardis for the amount she wants to bring.

Back to the original thread, 87% based on an empty car with no tow bar, and tend to load as much into the car as possible

61% steady as a rock, until the wife loads the van. ......

maggie doesn't put a thing in the van!!!!..........she just squeezes it all in the car :blink:

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

I tow at 87%. Rock steady, Car has plenty of power but don't need half of it, trundle along within speed limits. Relax and remember, we are on holiday

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

According to the plates on my car and caravan, my % is 96. Even taking into account the inaccuracy of published kerbweights, I suspect it's still around 92%.

What's however interesting, is that today towing the empty caravan to the dealer for servicing, it had a noticeable 'lighter' feel. The revised % was now 86%. The caravan 'felt' like it was following the car, rather than being kept under control.

I was surprised that the loss of just 150kg ( user payload) made such a difference to the feel.

But it may also be that despite being a seasoned caravanner who knows what correct loading should be. ..perhaps, just perhaps I have become lax in my loading?

Being capable of handling higher percentages doesnt necessarily mean its ok and gives the best ride.

86% with 3/4 tank and 75 kilos for the drive ( wish I was :P ) Never really knew what % it was properly till I took the car to a weigh bridge . ... Because of the vast amount of wrong info out on the webb and in car handbooks etc im convinced the only truly way to know is to weigh it.

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

The quest goes on today to find another van,but with having a new tow car worked out percentage on what tow car website comes out at 97 % :blink: . .the dealer said its fine to tow this van

But is it !!!

Must add sold previous car and van,so starting over again

In my recent post - '85% HA HA' - I wrote: -

Years ago when Big Ben was a wrist watch (early 70’s) I was in the marine industry. I started

building racing dinghies then over the years moved up to building and selling

small sailing yachts. At one London Boat Show we sold a 23’ Ruffian class yacht

to a chap who lived in southern Switzerland.

He asked would we deliver it, a price was negotiated and a few months later I

set of with my wife and two young daughters to deliver the boat to Southern Switzerland.

Although we towed all over the UK

and Europe there was never a thought of ‘Nose

Weight’ or this strange 85% rule. We just towed, as long as the tow hitch was

heavy then off we went. The car I was towing with was a Volvo 242 weighing 1400kg

and the Ruffian with trailer weighed around 2,000kg – a tad over 85%.

It was an interesting journey especially when we went over

the St Gotthard Pass, first gear all the way – heater on

full chat – prey that we did not meet a lorry coming down the pass at a hair

pin. Going down the other side was also interesting as the brakes got a little

warm.

To think today I check the Nose Weigh carefully and don’t go

over 85%.

I must be getting old!

Alan

Again people are getting hung up on the 85% rule, as long as you tow within the limits of the car and your van is loaded correctly, nose weight etc, and you are comfortable, you will be ok. As you can see above, people tow well over 85%, if we all stuck to it, everyone would have small vans or really big cars. I usually tow at around 90%, buts its all within the limits of the car and the van.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

The 85% figure was introduced years ago, engine, braking, stability control, aerodynamics, stabiliser and tyre technology has all changed tremendously since then.

I tow my caravan anywhere between 80 and 110%

Has the revolution finally begun?

Its all correct as above its a manual drive and hatch back. ....so is it good to pull the van

No it is NOT a good match as the manual hatchback KW is only 1538kg so with the caravan @ 1600kg that is a 104% ratio. Also you are on the limit of the towing capacity 1600kg and would be the limit of train weight (3745kg) if both car and caravan are fully laden. This will put extra strain on all the car components although just within the capability of it!

You may think you'll never load either car or caravan to the max but you'll be surprised how easy it is to do so. You DO have B+E licence and have a lot of caravan towing experience? as if no B+E you cannot legally use the outfit you are suggesting and if an inexperienced tower you'd be ill-advised/silly/stupid/moronic to attempt towing with this outfit.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

We tow at circa 87%. But as has been stated some webs sites are wrong with their weights.

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Car = 1765kg (from V50). Caravan = 1443kg max. Ratio = 81. 75%. Cars max braked towing limit = 2000kg (V50). Should be OK although I've only towed it about 20 miles so far. Will let you know when we take it on a longer tow.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

75% apparently I'm match perfect . ...

But you seem to be facing the wrong way to get out!

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

No it is NOT a good match as the manual hatchback KW is only 1538kg so with the caravan @ 1600kg that is a 104% ratio. Also you are on the limit of the towing capacity 1600kg and would be the limit of train weight (3745kg) if both car and caravan are fully laden. This will put extra strain on all the car components although just within the capability of it!

You may think you'll never load either car or caravan to the max but you'll be surprised how easy it is to do so. You DO have B+E licence and have a lot of caravan towing experience? as if no B+E you cannot legally use the outfit you are suggesting and if an inexperienced tower you'd be ill-advised/silly/stupid/moronic to attempt towing with this outfit.

Hi

Thats what i thought even though have years of experience of towing vans. plus a hgv class 1 and a psv towing trailers all over uk and europe. .this outfit car and van its not worth the risk. .

This rule shouldnt be taken as gospel.

just take a look at the amount of cars towing car transporters loaded with a car of the same weight. plus trailer @ 700kg-1200kg.

And if it is a racing trailer the car will be facing forward and there will be a row of about 8 wheels & tyres across the front too. Nose-weight? What's that then?

Has the revolution finally begun?