What % Do You Tow At !

cfcseasideblues

The quest goes on today to find another van,but with having a new tow car worked out percentage on what tow car website comes out at 97 % :blink: . .the dealer said its fine to tow this van

But is it !!!

Must add sold previous car and van,so starting over again

Edited by cfcseasideblues

I tow with over 90% and have done for 1,000 and 1,000s of miles with no hint of a problem, I bought the caravan knowing I would be over the weight stated in the car specs.

I am not saying you should, but I have met three people this week alone that tows at about 125%

Have a look at this website

http://www. powtec. co. uk/horsebox. htm#Calc

it might be able to help :D

I have this program on my computer, if able I can try and send as an attachment if you want to contact me?

Edited by Dirkydel

Vauxhall Insignia 2. 0 CDTi SRi NAV Estate

towing a

Lunar Clubman SI 2011

Mine tows at 100%

Each to there own but when I change my towcar I always look for a decent weight

advantage in a potential tug.

Certainly would not feel happy towing at 100%

and would not under any circumstance consider a lightweight car and a heavy caravan.

Also if your towing close to your cars max limit

your putting a lot of strain on the vehicle

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
Blank space removed

2023 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Audi Q5 TFSI-e  S-Line

hi have a 2 ltr s max diesel and tow a senator indiana this works out at around 87% and i have no proplems when towing also nose weight i keep it ai 85 malc. .

The what towcar site is miles out in my experience on weights.

I have recently gone from towing with an BMW X5 to a Volvo V70 D5. The V70 with just me in weights 1910kg on a VOSA Weighbridge,
the what towcar site says it is 1709kg and a 95% match for our 1630kg van. But in the real world it is at around 85%

So far the Volvo is just as good as the X5 which was a 71% match.

Edited by Cannondale

2012 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4, PowrHD Mover, Kamper 390 awning, Tugged by a 2010 Volvo V70 D5 Geartronic TwinTurbo

ava1.jpg

The quest goes on today to find another van,but with having a new tow car worked out percentage on what tow car website comes out at 97 % :blink: . .the dealer said its fine to tow this van

But is it !!!

Must add sold previous car and van,so starting over again

As has been said many times, providing the trailer (caravan) is within the limits set by the towcar manufacturer, the other limiting factor is the ability of the driver. As you have towed before, you presumably know how a caravan behaves, so you should be OK, however the lower the weight ratio, generally the more stable the outfit, and the better the fuel consumption. Just for comparison, our first new caravan also equated to a 97% weight ratio when fully loaded, and that towed 'like a dream' and by reading the road ahead, perfectly acceptable fuel consumption was achievable.

Gordon.

WIth my new Elddis it's 98%

VW Passat B6 2. 0l TDI pulling '05 Lunar Quasar 524
'13 Elddis Avante 576 with iDC

The MTPLM of my Troll is 84% of the kerbweight of my Cee'd SW and therefore just a smidge under the 85% recommendation.

Kia give my Cee'd a maximum tow weight of 1300kg, but as I believe that such towing weights are based upon the cars ability to start moving on a regulation steepness of hill puling that weight and doesn't say anything about stability or handling, I'd rather be safe than sorry and err on the lighter van side.

In fact the Troll has a MIRO of 980kg giving a payload of 220kg which is very high for a small van and I doubt I ever get anywhere near MTPLM when in use. However in these things I'd rather be ultra cautious.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Mines about 90-92% - depends if I add the weight of the towbar to the car's V5 weight (1750-1770kg).

The van is 1596kg which is well within the cars tow limit of 1750 and I can still put three quarters of a ton in the car as well as me.

So I reckon there's a fair margin

About 94%, Feels just as stable as my previous 87% tug.

Seriously unless you are a novice tower I wouldn't worrry too much about the 85% limit but I wouldn't venture over 100%. I did tow a new van at 113% once by mistake and would not advise going that high. Needless to say the towcar was changed pretty quickly.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

ill let somone double check for me :blush: . ..van is abbey spectrum 418 2008 pull car vauxhall insignia 2. 0 cdti 160 bhp 09 reg

You haven't given enough info to get an accurate match using the CC outfit matching service. (Needs exact model spec of car, saloon/hatch/estate and manual or auto box).

BUT Your Caravan miro = 1353kg mtplm =1600kg

Vauxhall Insignia SE 2. 0CDTi 16v (160PS) Auto (2009) Saloon = Kerb 1580kg, GVW 2170kg, GTW 3770kg, Tow limit 1600kg, nose 85kg and BHP/ton =47

These number may well vary depending on exact model you have. Weight ratios are the problem for the CC checker. 1600/1580 = > 101%

Naturally you need a B+E licence for that outfit

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

according to what tow car 75%.

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

Never exceed car manufacturers maximum towing rate

never exceed caravan maximum weight, load correctly

never have a problem

happy towing.

You haven't given enough info to get an accurate match using the CC outfit matching service. (Needs exact model spec of car, saloon/hatch/estate and manual or auto box).

BUT Your Caravan miro = 1353kg mtplm =1600kg

Vauxhall Insignia SE 2. 0CDTi 16v (160PS) Auto (2009) Saloon = Kerb 1580kg, GVW 2170kg, GTW 3770kg, Tow limit 1600kg, nose 85kg and BHP/ton =47

These number may well vary depending on exact model you have. Weight ratios are the problem for the CC checker. 1600/1580 = > 101%

Naturally you need a B+E licence for that outfit

Its all correct as above its a manual drive and hatch back. ....so is it good to pull the van

A heavier car would be better suited for the Abbey as the VX insignia is over 100% match.

Rather you than me but if your happy towing at that ratio its your call

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2023 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Audi Q5 TFSI-e  S-Line

According to what tow car, I tow at 49%

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Tow at what you are comfortable with as long as it's within the legal parameters and your kit is stowed correctly. I think the 85% guideline is a little outdated taklng into account modern vehicles and braking systems. Currently towing at about 60ish% , Adria Action behind Xtrail, tho previouisly towed a Senator with the same tug for many Ks which was over 90%, never a prob. ..Mick